FarCry Franchise

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
A decade ago I started with Farcry 3 a 2012 first-person shooter game developed by Ubisoft Montreal and loved not only its open world nature, but appreciated the beautiful vistas on a tropical island.

68E5645B-292C-4739-A28F-4E1FE5D49EDD.png
FarCry 3

I played the heck out of this game. Then I moved on to FarCry 4 set in the Himalayas, a place like Nepal, and I think because I had played so much of the first game mentioned, I burned out with it’s formula.

2304E865-7E68-4B66-B12B-820827A98214.jpeg

But now I am back playing Farcry 5, purchased on sale recently at Steam. Set in beautiful Montana, I’m loving this franchise again. You start out as a US Federal Deputy as part of a group going to arrest a cult leader (Project at Eden’s Gate) where the cult leader is guilty of things like kidnapping and in the process of establishing his own fiefdom. This mission goes South fast and you barely make it out in one piece.

Your mission becomes to basically rescue the county. Ubisoft consulted a Cult Expert to ensure the game feels realistic. The map is large and beautiful, the combat is fun, some of your companions are a hoot, and there is a large variety of vehicles for getting around including, boats, Helos, quads all over the place, and airplanes. Airplanes are the most awkward vehicle to control/fly using keyboard and mouse. Helos are much easier.

75A49403-FBF0-4B1B-B76E-35D05D04A68F.jpeg

As far as game play, I don’t remember changing the difficulty, and at the default setting the mechanics/game is not too difficult and rather forgiving. That is fine with me although yes, when I get too complacent, I’ve died a couple of times in combat, and you need to watch those heights and for bears. :) The bears are best handled with a high powered rifle or an assault rifle. I’ve not had the opportunity to defend against bear attack with a shotgun, but will assume if using buckshot or a slug, it would be effective.

You earn points with which perks can be gained. I recently realized that carrying more than 2 weapons requires additional perks for a total of 4 weapons and I’ll testify that with just 2 weapons I feel hindered. :) Right now I‘m limited to a silenced pistol or a bow, and a high powered sniper rifle. I could use an assault rifle instead, but don’t like how they eat though ammo. Ideally with extra weapon slots, I want to add a shotgun for close encounters, and an assault rifle. It takes 8 perk points to gain at least one, maybe both additional slots.

I like that you can play coop with one other player, invite them into your game and they will accompany you. I’ve been playing with my son on his game, and then I can proceed at my own pace on my game.

524C4B54-6160-4A71-97DA-3A2CCDFD7C15.jpeg

What I don’t like is that to play this on Steam, launching the game requires a Ubisoft account, it launches Ubisoft’s Game Hub and yo have to log in there to play. Once you get though this the first time, it’s not too bad, but still annoying. My guess is because Ubisoft’s insistence on control, you won’t find this title on GOG. Happy hunting! :D

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
I had never got into the Far Cry series, myself. I'm glad you're enjoying it, perhaps I shall look into it. Do you mind sharing the specs of the system that you're running Far Cry 5 on, @Huntn?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
@Colstan, My PC: i5 (9th gen), 16GB RAM, Asus RTX2070 (8Gb VRAM).

RECOMMENDED CONFIGURATION (60 FPS):
OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2 GHz or equivalent
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 or AMD R9 290X (4GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better)
SYSTEM RAM: 8GB
Resolution: 1080p
Video Preset: High

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm loving Farcry 5, I finally got 4 weapons slots. I love the premise/combat, which is typical for a Farcry game along with the gameplay/combat which tends to be forgiving on normal difficulty. I love Montana, and I love the companions and their comments, often foul mouth slang :), especially the son of the Senator, Hurk Drubman who made me laugh out loud and the Hunter Jess Black who I tend to feel sorry for, and the game loves to throw all sort of low brow humor at you. Watch for ******* skunks, they are little stink ninjas! What a beautiful day, what could make it better is if a sexy forest ranger entered my forest. :D One of my companions uses the term “fuckwad” frequently, which I had not heard for decades, since my youth? :unsure:

Besides being held hostage by Ubisoft, even though I'm on Steam, my primary in-game beef is that flying an aircraft is awkward which comes into play when you have to fly one to shoot down an adversary. In contrast the helos are reasonable.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
I'm loving Farcry 5, I finally got 4 weapons slots. I love the premise/combat, which is typical for a Farcry game along with the gameplay/combat which tends to be forgiving on normal difficulty. I love Montana, and I love the companions and their comments, often foul mouth slang
You're killing me, @Huntn. I don't know if you've been following my saga over in the Apple forum, but I'm stuck in the age old position of being a Mac user who wants access to PC games, while not wanting the PC. When my eGPU stopped working inside Windows with my Mac mini, likely as a result of a routine Apple firmware update, I lost that capability. That was a kludge, anyway, and just kicking the bucket down the road.

For numerous reasons, I can't justify dual-wielding both a Mac and a PC. I've decided to put off that unpleasant decision until late this year, when Alan Wake 2 is released, probably around October or November. I also want to see how far Asahi Linux gets with Proton compatibility. They've made ludicrous progress in a short amount of time. Until then, I'm in a holding pattern, and will just have to live vicariously through your adventures!

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
You're killing me, @Huntn. I don't know if you've been following my saga over in the Apple forum, but I'm stuck in the age old position of being a Mac user who wants access to PC games, while not wanting the PC. When my eGPU stopped working inside Windows with my Mac mini, likely as a result of a routine Apple firmware update, I lost that capability. That was a kludge, anyway, and just kicking the bucket down the road.

For numerous reasons, I can't justify dual-wielding both a Mac and a PC. I've decided to put off that unpleasant decision until late this year, when Alan Wake 2 is released, probably around October or November. I also want to see how far Asahi Linux gets with Proton compatibility. They've made ludicrous progress in a short amount of time. Until then, I'm in a holding pattern, and will just have to live vicariously through your adventures!
I’m happy and sorry to hear this. :):(
Yes, I have been following. Bootcamp was the answer, and it worked for a price until Apple moved on away from Intel. My 2012 MBP with a dedicated card, cost $2500. I think having Intel and Bootcamp was what pushed Mac ownership up quite a bit. :unsure:

The last Mac I bought, a 2016 MBP not top of the line, cost me $2000. That price vs capabilities, aggravates me. I prefer the MacOS for daily tasks but with integrated graphics, it is an unworthy gaming laptop. Yes there are some games I can play on it, minimalist or iOS type games. I wonder if integrated graphics are better in the new Macs?

The last PC I bought to take on a 2 week trip was a $460, i5, 16GB ram, with a GTX 750 card in it. I just happened to have a old 1060 card that bumped it up, but I did test the original card before swapping it and it played both World of Warships and Dragon’s Dogma, although on low graphic settings. It works but has a mini motherboard with zero upgrade abilities other than the graphics card (which has limits) and possibly the RAM. My main home built PC which runs circles around my Mac cost about $1100. The accelerated price of graphic cards in the last 3 years might drive that up a little, to say $1300-1400. If you ever think about buying a gaming PC check out Digital Storm at least for a comparison.

For my next Mac, I look to downgrade if possible. It ideally is a laptop, due to limited space on my desk including my PC screen and keyboard, and ideally has 4 USB slots, but 3 would work too.

Last edited:

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yes, I have been following. Bootcamp was the answer, and it worked for a price until Apple moved on away from Intel. My 2012 MBP with a dedicated card, cost $2500. I think having Intel and Bootcamp was what pushed Mac ownership up quite a bit.
My problem with Boot Camp is that it is and always will be a kludge. The only Mac that made for decent high-end gaming was the 2019 Mac Pro, and that prices almost everyone out of the market. I'm still hanging on with an eGPU, but they're such a pain in the ass that I wouldn't want to deal with it again. So, even if Boot Camp was still hanging around, I wouldn't want to repeat that experience. I'm okay with Apple letting it go, because I think killing off all of that legacy crap is better for the Mac as a platform.

Thanks for the input, @Huntn! I've got a lot to consider. As @dada_dave has been covering, Asahi Linux may be an answer for those of us who are okay with a decent gaming experience with many PC titles, if not nose bleed performance.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
My problem with Boot Camp is that it is and always will be a kludge. The only Mac that made for decent high-end gaming was the 2019 Mac Pro, and that prices almost everyone out of the market. I'm still hanging on with an eGPU, but they're such a pain in the ass that I wouldn't want to deal with it again. So, even if Boot Camp was still hanging around, I wouldn't want to repeat that experience. I'm okay with Apple letting it go, because I think killing off all of that legacy crap is better for the Mac as a platform.

Thanks for the input, @Huntn! I've got a lot to consider. As @dada_dave has been covering, Asahi Linux may be an answer for those of us who are okay with a decent gaming experience with many PC titles, if not nose bleed performance.
More: :)
Farcry 5- There are the 3 regions, each controlled by one member of the Seed Family, leaders of the Project at Eden's Gate. You slowly take territory away from them and the final quest for each zone is a trip that starts to feel epic and in Faith's case hallucinagenic. First John, then Faith, before Joseph. It could be a choice of a different sequence but I think the game leads you to take on Joseph last. The family relies on hard core production of a drug called Bliss from an unidentified plant that gives people visions and makes them feel euphoric, real good for that good ole time religious feeling. ;)

Defeating Faith was the creepiest sequence, frequent drug visions when you are around Bliss. The quest to take her down is one big drugged sequence. And during the game after every major defeat for the Seed Family, you get to stare Joseph Seed close up in the face as he tells you his plans for you, since you are messing with his path to glory.

Strafe in a large circle, shoot the visions of her as they pop up, keep her minions off you (shoot them), and just run when she starts showing her bliss bombs at you, don't stand still. There are weapon reload caches in the middle that disappear after a while, load up while you can. :)

I've grown fond of Jess, her opening monolog is brutal, she seems not quite normal, but she is dedicated to helping. Actually all of the companions do, I suppose that it's personal preference. :) I tried Peaches the pet Cougar who is deadly, but she just runs around killing people and get's knocked down fairly fast. I called on Adelaide Drubman armed help pilot, to hunt down Bliss delivery vehicles, which can be hard to locate, best to do it by air.

You can revive all of them if you get to them in time. And they can revive you. I'm going to try real hard to call up Hurk Drubman, the RPG wielding son of a State Senator, because I want to hear is comical banter. :)

Jess, hunter.jpg

Jess in her environment (no she never smiles)

Hurk Drubman Jr.jpg

Hurk Drumban Jr

Sheriff and Jess at the Jail.jpg

The Sheriff and Jess at the Jail HQ after the fight with Faith.
No companion help during this fight.

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
FarCry 5 companions ranked:

I was surprised kind of by this list.
1.Hurk- The RPG equipped companion, I took him on a mission, and he just started blowing up every thing, lol. So I guess that is a reasonable assessment, however, climbing out of the helo, I heard him yelp and went back to find him dead. I don't get it. There was no one shooting at us at the time. It's like he hit his head on a big rock, by the helo. This also happened to Grace, she basically dropped dead and I have no reason why. Jess, has not done this to me yet. For those not playing this game, it's not a permanent death. Companions will come back fresh as new after a timer counts down. :D

2. Boomer- the dog, apparently he senses and marks all of your opponents on your hud, and brings you their weapons after their untimely demise. I'm not sure if that is him, or you primarily facilitating that, but my guess is it's you. I don't think Boomer is nearly as lethal as Peaches or Cheddar, the bear. Maybe as a companion Cheddar is tougher than wild bears, but wild bears, I put them down with 1 or 2 shots with a high powered rifle... The thing about Peaches, she was on enemies before they knew she had them by the throat...

Also I’ve using the Neon 50 Cal Sniper rifle that comes as a bonus for buying the game (?), I did not have to buy it. It has the highest power and most accuracy in the game maxed at 10, but with about $40k in my coffer, I figured I could afford to experiment, so I purchased the next notch down sniper that cost $3200, the difference is that it is listed as semi-automatic, it’s power is listed as 9, and shoots 5 vs 3 rounds per minute, a distinct difference and advantage for rapidly eliminating enemies. For power, 9 vs 10 does not seem to be any difference As far as effectiveness.

Top Bottom
1 2