General finally some good news in my wacky health issues.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I mostly am but for veggies three times a week. but it is such a struggle I ahve trouble eating enough. I know if I eat more protein my rides will be better but but I cant do it on a regular basis. I have found my body does not use fat for fuel either. no idea what it does with fat but it does not give me energy. so I have to rely on protein as my only fuel and meat does not have that many calories. if I go on a long ride and burn 1500 calories making that up is really hard. my basic diet was about 2500 calories before I started riding. but that was about 800 calories from cheese for lunch. about 600 of those calories are fat. so was I short 600 calories so about 1900 calories is my usual? I have not lost weight in a year. so I am thinking I need to up my calories with protein only. well I did lose two pounds the wheel I didn't ride because of weather so I burned 500 less calories a day. but eating that much protein is very hard to do I don't want to eat more I want to eat less food. I am tired of eating.

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I mostly am but for veggies three times a week. but it is such a struggle I ahve trouble eating enough. I know if I eat more protein my rides will be better but but I cant do it on a regular basis. I have found my body does not use fat for fuel either. no idea what it does with fat but it does not give me energy. so I have to rely on protein as my only fuel and meat does not have that many calories. if I go on a long ride and burn 1500 calories making that up is really hard. my basic diet was about 2500 calories before I started riding. but that was about 800 calories from cheese for lunch. about 600 of those calories are fat. so was I short 600 calories so about 1900 calories is my usual? I have not lost weight in a year. so I am thinking I need to up my calories with protein only. well I did lose two pounds the wheel I didn't ride because of weather so I burned 500 less calories a day. but eating that much protein is very hard to do I don't want to eat more I want to eat less food. I am tired of eating.
Have you considered supplementing with foods that are high protein but not meat? I’m thinking beans and nuts.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Have you considered supplementing with foods that are high protein but not meat? I’m thinking beans and nuts.
beans are full of carbs. I have not eaten a bean in 30 years it must have been really bad last time I ate them. I eat a little nuts but they are more fat and they have carbs in them so I cant eat much or the carbs will nail me. the no carb thing eliminates most foods right off the bat. then a lot of fats cause uses with my esophagus and that eliminates most of the rest.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
beans are full of carbs. I have not eaten a bean in 30 years it must have been really bad last time I ate them. I eat a little nuts but they are more fat and they have carbs in them so I cant eat much or the carbs will nail me. the no carb thing eliminates most foods right off the bat. then a lot of fats cause uses with my esophagus and that eliminates most of the rest.
That really sucks.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
That really sucks.
yep it really does. I found a woman on facebook with the same problem as me with carbs. she as a lot of the same issues. it runs on the female side of her family. I think what I have runs on the male side and my brother has the same issue. but till you cut out carbs it is only in the background somewhat. How silly is it I would rather eat less food then more? I wish I could skip a meal but I think I am lower on calories as it is.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Glad things are being worked out by the OP. Late to the discussion. One problem I’m noticing about TA is there are so many forums I miss threads , where at MRs I could pick 3 forums and pick up 95% of what I wanted to talk about. :unsure:

ref: Acid Reflux, I’m noticing that after switching from Omeprazole based on my Dr’s recommendation against long term use, and switching me to a Pepcid generic, that a single 40mg dos does not last all day and since I don’t eat breakfast, I take the pill around lunch time, I try to stop eating about 6pm, but I can still experience one of this acid burps later in the evening, so I have Tums ready to go…

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
You may as well go pure carnivore. I've had similar issues although not as severe.
👍👍👍

I have been pretty much carnivore the past 10 years.
Though when people hear carnivore I suspect they imagine me gnawing on a hunk of meat 24/7.

Not quite. 😆

I just mostly eat animal products.
Meat, cheese, butter, cream… my vegetable intake is mostly stuff like sauerkraut or fermented brussels sprouts with fruits such as berries now and then.

As an aside, over the years I gradually fell into eating once a day.

Having breakfast, for some reason always made me ravenously hungry the rest of the day.

The main benefits for me has been to put the kibosh on disordered eating, incredible long distance energy levels (not so much short sharp spurts) and an end to a recurring issue with eczema on my leg.

I'm 58, and fit and healthy.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I'm a total grazer in summer, seems to be dependent on activity during a given day...but I do eat a breakfast. In the depths of winter I tend to eat just two meals plus "something" in the morning. The "something" has a good chance of being leftover supper, so not too sweet. Still, some oatmeal with apples and a few raisins does stick to my ribs well enough that I like that for breakfast during winter. There always comes some morning in late spring though when yogurt reappears on the menu. However, even though it's breakfast, I'm far more likely to have a few potato chips with it rather than fruit, which is why I try not to buy the chips...

Not a vegetarian although I do focus on vegetables because I just really love to eat them. For protein it's usually legumes and brown rice or else eggs, chicken, fish, some dairy. I do like lamb, though, and will never pass it up in the store if I see it, even if I end up ditching something else that was a priority item on my grocery list.

Not much beef lands in my house the past decade or so, but while living in the city, I could never stay out of the Chinese or Chinese-Cuban takeout shops when I had exited the trains in the evening. In fact I used to come home with either Szechuan shredded beef or vieja ropa often enough that my body probably thought shredded beef was a basic food group unto itself. Never been a fan of steak. I can be talked into bacon by just seeing the word on a diner menu. Diner breakfasts are truly boss.

Edit: I'm in my eighth decade now and still doing dance workouts in the kitchen waiting for the water to boil or the sauté to finish, but I no longer literally run up and down the stairs. Still traverse them a zillion times a day because my fabric stash is up there and so are the bedrooms. So far I'm fortunate enough not to have to take any prescribed drugs, but not sure if that's good luck or genetics or a mix of good food and a fair amount of exercise.

Last edited:

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
👍👍👍

I have been pretty much carnivore the past 10 years.
Though when people hear carnivore I suspect they imagine me gnawing on a hunk of meat 24/7.

Not quite. 😆

I just mostly eat animal products.
Meat, cheese, butter, cream… my vegetable intake is mostly stuff like sauerkraut or fermented brussels sprouts with fruits such as berries now and then.

As an aside, over the years I gradually fell into eating once a day.

Having breakfast, for some reason always made me ravenously hungry the rest of the day.

The main benefits for me has been to put the kibosh on disordered eating, incredible long distance energy levels (not so much short sharp spurts) and an end to a recurring issue with eczema on my leg.

I'm 58, and fit and healthy.
Man I wish I could only eat once a day. but most f the time I seem to be under calories or right at what I need.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
You'd be surprised how easy it is to fit it all in once a day. 😃
I did long ago. but Now I need far more calories then I could ever get in one meal. I have trouble getting enough calories with 3 meals and two snacks. even one skipped meal makes me feel weak. Plus like Saturday I burned 1200 calories on my ride and thats on top of my 2500 daily calories I usually need.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have tried cutting down on what I e at because I don't enjoy eating. but all that resulted is my rides got harder and slower till I started eating at the level I was at again. increasing my protein gives me more energy but its hard to eat that extra food. I am someone who would much rather not eat a lot of food because it is not enjoyable to eat. but not sure if it is the carb intolerance ot that my body does not use carbs and maybe not much fat for fuel. I actually lost two pounds the week I could not ride because of weather. I don't lose or gain weight riding.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
Picture me in front of open fridge with a fork or spoon in hand. Only the thought of the electric bill challenges the appealing idea of just standing there until the leftovers problem is completely solved.
Oh absolutely! Leftovers have enormous appeal. Could it be some far distant relic from our days as scavengers?

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
I have been having health issues lately myself. Headache in the same spot for weeks, and my primary was on vacation. Telehealth visit scared the crap out of me sent my anxiety through the roof, by telling me that my case we more urgent than Urgent care but not as bad to need an ambulance ride to the ER, but I should go there at that time. 6 Hour visit to the ER they just gave me a Migraine cocktail and sent me home. Worked for the night, and been having the headaches on and off. Lately I have had just a feeling of unwellness and pain in my neck. I am figuring that it's probably a heightened panic attack due to the unexplained prolonged headache. Or all just related to a fair amount of stress in my life.

All very frustrating.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I have been having health issues lately myself. Headache in the same spot for weeks, and my primary was on vacation. Telehealth visit scared the crap out of me sent my anxiety through the roof, by telling me that my case we more urgent than Urgent care but not as bad to need an ambulance ride to the ER, but I should go there at that time. 6 Hour visit to the ER they just gave me a Migraine cocktail and sent me home. Worked for the night, and been having the headaches on and off. Lately I have had just a feeling of unwellness and pain in my neck. I am figuring that it's probably a heightened panic attack due to the unexplained prolonged headache. Or all just related to a fair amount of stress in my life.

All very frustrating.

The most immediate concern with a recurring headache and neck pain/stiffness is meningitis but I sounds like your duration has been longer (plus maybe not escalating).

You can get some severe headaches from neck (cervical spine) related issues in the joints, bones, nerves, etc. Maybe some stretching, definitely open up your neck, there's some simple pressure relief tricks that can help.

U

User.45

All very frustrating.
dm if you wanna discuss.
(i'm a neurologist)

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I had to pay 1500.00 to have the doc check out my espagaus. check on my barrels esophagus problem. but I did find out even though I have had heartburn since a small child my esophagus is not all eroded and it is in good shape. its super sensitive and everything almost makes it hurt but I am not doing damage to it if something bothers it, this is Linda of a game changer I don't have to be so paranoid about some foods. I cant go crazy bu I don't have to live in so much worry either.

Top Bottom
1 2