For comedic value here is an Apple rumor YouTuber

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score

Like a lot of the rumor sites WAY too reliant on MacRumors and Gurman. Even with that:

1) No Apple is not putting an M2Pro in a Macbook Air. That would be asking for throttling as the Air is fanless.

2) A lot of it is compute module and Mac Pro speculation TBH I am not seeing the use case any more for the Mac Pro - the Mac Studio running the Ultra does the same thing and decoupling functionality from the SOC to make it modular will also entail a performance hit (increasing the distance between the cores and the memory for example). Now they MAY indeed create a Mac Pro but it is going to cost a fortune and I don't think it is going to deliver everything the rumor sites think it will.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Maybe just me but I've gotten to the point that I refuse to click on any video where they're making a ridiculous face like that. Somewhere someone made a video on how to attract viewers using this method and it's an absolute turnoff. Sorry I'm not directly responding to the content you're posting here it's just a real peeve of mine.

Aaronage

Power User
Reaction score
I don’t expect YouTubers to have complete understanding about these topics, but jeez…

So many bad takes proliferate thanks to a lack of basic/fundamental understanding.

e.g. “Apple Silicon has magic unified memory! I don’t know what that means, but some other YouTuber said something about efficiency or whatever, so I’m just going to make the mental leap and conclude that Apple Silicon Macs need less memory. Everyone only needs 8GB now, wow!”

”Intel‘s 140W mobile CPU in a 3 inch thick laptop with an enormous heat sink and zillion fans beats M1 Max by a couple percent in some benchmarks, Apple Silicon must be doomed!!1!”

”Apple Silicon is Arm-based, Arm designs IP for mobile SoCs, so… that means… Apple Silicon must only be good for mobile devices! Oh no, they’ll never compete with Intel/AMD on desktop!!1!”

“M2 wasn’t as big a jump as M1! How can this be! Going from some ancient Skylake rehash to M1 must be the same as going from M1 to M2 right???? Is Apple’s silicon team in trouble!??!?!”

etc. 🤪

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Maybe just me but I've gotten to the point that I refuse to click on any video where they're making a ridiculous face like that. Somewhere someone made a video on how to attract viewers using this method and it's an absolute turnoff. Sorry I'm not directly responding to the content you're posting here it's just a real peeve of mine.
Linus has said that he hates having to release videos with the "shock face" thumbnails, but he has to do it because it measurably drives traffic. Simply having a human doing this specific facial expression increases the number of clicks he gets by up to 20%. This look is idiotic, he doesn't like doing it, but he does it for business reasons.

Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 12.48.44 AM.jpg

Apparently, making thumbnails that look like this taps into basic human psychology that grabs attention and compels people to click. (The same psychology that's at work with the requisite red arrows.)

Linus has also gotten some heat from older tech enthusiasts for his change in style. However, just because Linus and the rest of us are getting older, doesn't mean that his audience is. Instead of traditional videos which features specifications, detailed benchmarks, and guides, he puts out entertainment videos with little substance. Obviously, what I'm about to say doesn't apply to all younger people, but in general, younger generations expect more entertainment than educational content from their technology sources. It's the reason that classic tech enthusiast sites like HardOCP, Tech Report, Anandtech, and the old version of Ars Technica no longer exist or are on their last legs. In-depth analysis doesn't drive revenue; snark, goofy antics, and dumb video thumbnails do. It's the reason that Linus is constantly "dropping" expensive hardware in his videos, and it's not because he is clumsy.

I get why Linus does it, he operates the most successful tech channel on Youtube, but he offers very little of educational value. He himself understands that, but it's what his younger audience demands, and thus he fulfills that need, as a business owner. Just because he and other tech content providers feel that this shallow form of entertainment is necessary to continue to operate as a growing business doesn't mean that I have to like it. Which is why I no longer watch Linus Tech Tips. Simply put, I am no longer in the target demographic.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Linus has said that he hates having to release videos with the "shock face" thumbnails, but he has to do it because it measurably drives traffic. Simply having a human doing this specific facial expression increases the number of clicks he gets by up to 20%. This look is idiotic, he doesn't like doing it, but he does it for business reasons.

View attachment 22216

Apparently, making thumbnails that look like this taps into basic human psychology that grabs attention and compels people to click. (The same psychology that's at work with the requisite red arrows.)

Linus has also gotten some heat from older tech enthusiasts for his change in style. However, just because Linus and the rest of us are getting older, doesn't mean that his audience is. Instead of traditional videos which features specifications, detailed benchmarks, and guides, he puts out entertainment videos with little substance. Obviously, what I'm about to say doesn't apply to all younger people, but in general, younger generations expect more entertainment than educational content from their technology sources. It's the reason that classic tech enthusiast sites like HardOCP, Tech Report, Anandtech, and the old version of Ars Technica no longer exist or are on their last legs. In-depth analysis doesn't drive revenue; snark, goofy antics, and dumb video thumbnails do. It's the reason that Linus is constantly "dropping" expensive hardware in his videos, and it's not because he is clumsy.

I get why Linus does it, he operates the most successful tech channel on Youtube, but he offers very little of educational value. He himself understands that, but it's what his younger audience demands, and thus he fulfills that need, as a business owner. Just because he and other tech content providers feel that this shallow form of entertainment is necessary to continue to operate as a growing business doesn't mean that I have to like it. Which is why I no longer watch Linus Tech Tips. Simply put, I am no longer in the target demographic.
Probably one of the reasons my YT channel has no traffic... that and my content is of no interest. :ROFLMAO:

So all I have to do is shove a cattle prod up my ass and take a selfie for some hits?

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score

View attachment 22216

To be fair LTT do put out some actually interesting and educational content and are building out a full lab to do even more of that content but yes you do have to be … selective about the topic. Because I agree the snarky fluff - the aren’t I so cute and clever bits - gets tiresome real quick.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
To be fair LTT do put out some actually interesting and educational content and are building out a full lab
Despite the channel's casual sounding name, Gamer's Nexus releases videos that are both educational and entertaining. I'd also wager that their audience is older than LTT. I wish they did Mac reviews, because they always do professional, thorough product reviews and analysis.

Instead, we are stuck with Max Tech. At least Vadim and Max try explaining technical details. Despite mixed results (to be put it kindly) I think Max Tech does more good than harm. LTT has intentionally dumbed down their videos, and hurt general tech literacy in the process.
Because I agree the snarky fluff - the aren’t I so cute and clever bits - gets tiresome real quick.
The only presenter at LTT that I think has any credibility is Anthony. He's someone who uses Linux, Mac, and Windows. Unlike the other people who work for Linus, he also happens to be well-informed, intellectually curious, and intelligent.

Anthony put out a video detailing how he believes that the days of the traditional PC are numbered, that Apple's strategy with the Mac is the future, and he backs it up with logic, reason, and evidence, not juvenile snark.

It's remarkable that Linus Tech Tips, the altar at which PC fans pray, released a video saying that Apple's vertical integration with the Mac is the future of the personal computer industry.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Maybe just me but I've gotten to the point that I refuse to click on any video where they're making a ridiculous face like that.

Me too. A pet peeve of mine. Just can't click on nonsense like that.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Despite the channel's casual sounding name, Gamer's Nexus releases videos that are both educational and entertaining. I'd also wager that their audience is older than LTT. I wish they did Mac reviews, because they always do professional, thorough product reviews and analysis.

Instead, we are stuck with Max Tech. At least Vadim and Max try explaining technical details. Despite mixed results (to be put it kindly) I think Max Tech does more good than harm. LTT has intentionally dumbed down their videos, and hurt general tech literacy in the process.

The only presenter at LTT that I think has any credibility is Anthony. He's someone who uses Linux, Mac, and Windows. Unlike the other people who work for Linus, he also happens to be well-informed, intellectually curious, and intelligent.

Anthony put out a video detailing how he believes that the days of the traditional PC are numbered, that Apple's strategy with the Mac is the future, and he backs it up with logic, reason, and evidence, not juvenile snark.

It's remarkable that Linus Tech Tips, the altar at which PC fans pray, released a video saying that Apple's vertical integration with the Mac is the future of the personal computer industry.

I agree that Anthony is the best of that bunch, but as I said some of the other videos are good too. Heck it isn’t even though only time they’ve praised Apple or gone against the Apple sucks rumor mill and said what Apple did was fine (mostly the Apple thermal “issues” with the Air since the switch to AS and yeah some in their PC-centric audience aren’t particularly happy whenever they do that).

Here’s an example below:

Thread 'An interesting advantage of MacBooks over Windows laptops'
https://talkedabout.com/threads/an-interesting-advantage-of-macbooks-over-windows-laptops.3759/

But yes they have a lot fluff. I’ll be honest I don’t watch most of their videos and sometimes I just read the transcript if I think it’s a subject I might be interested in but I want to make sure it’s worth my time. However, Linus himself has highlighted the fall of sites like Anandtech and so forth as an impetus for his new labs project to actually do more than just benchmarking reviews in the future and create full labs to measure power, thermals, sounds, fans, and test all sorts of PC/tech components. And the occasional deep dive - or even short dive into a small topic - has been excellent so I’m hopeful that they’ll have a better proportion of content to entertainment.

I agree that Gamers Nexus has some good videos and Ian formerly of Anandtech puts out some interesting things and there are a few websites and blogs that try to fill the void of doing in depth tech deep dives but for a lay audience. So it’s not all bad out there - just a lot of clickbait crap to wade through unfortunately to find the good stuff.

Last edited:

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
When “YouTube Face” is actually an appropriate thumbnail:

BTW while I’m joking about thumbnails, this is apparently a serious epidemic right now on YouTube. If you have a smaller channel you’re of course less likely to be targeted but you also probably won’t get the same kind of help.

Be careful. Bitcoin scammers are really hammering the platform. Watch the video for useful information if you’re a YouTuber. They’re getting through security using malware to steal session keys (explained in the video) so be careful with attachments.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
BTW while I’m joking about thumbnails, this is apparently a serious epidemic right now on YouTube. If you have a smaller channel you’re of course less likely to be targeted but you also probably won’t get the same kind of help.

Be careful. Bitcoin scammers are really hammering the platform. Watch the video for useful information if you’re a YouTuber. They’re getting through security using malware to steal session keys (explained in the video) so be careful with attachments.
See some of the more popular drone posters using this that I have never clicked on because of this. It's ridiculous, good content is good content, who gives a shit what some guy I've never heard of named Linus says?

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score

Key resources when I was building my gaming rig was Gamer's Nexus and Optimum Tech (does a lot of SFF stuff).

To be fair, Linus focusing on keeping the business afloat partly helps give Anthony the freedom to do what he does well. But yes, the integration is coming. That said, I think you'll see the enthusiast market being one of the last hold outs against such a change. Look at how slow things evolve there.

Apple: We need more power for PCIe GPUs, and routing thunderbolt. How about adding a secondary slot for power and TB so it's all clean?
PC Enthusiast Market: GPUs are so power hungry. How about bringing more power into a smaller, more fragile connector on the GPU and the PSU, but keeping everything else the same?

There's just no imagination in the PC components space right now.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Key resources when I was building my gaming rig was Gamer's Nexus and Optimum Tech (does a lot of SFF stuff).
I also like Tech Yes City, because he covers the economics of PC hardware, not just slapping a box together. For instance, he covered the recent banking crisis and how it may impact the GPU market. It's nice to have someone with a financial background providing a perspective, while recommending the best bargains in hardware, not just the top hotrod product.

But yes, the integration is coming. That said, I think you'll see the enthusiast market being one of the last hold outs against such a change. Look at how slow things evolve there.
I switched to the Mac in 2005 and didn't pay any attention to PC hardware, other than whatever Apple was using, such as the Radeon cards. If you had asked me four years ago what Nvidia's latest models were, I wouldn't have been able to tell you. In recent years, I've been kicking around the idea of building a custom PC, just for gaming.

Other than upgrading the components inside of the four Mac minis I've owned, I haven't touched the insides of a PC in nearly two decades. When I started researching a new build, I was amazed at how little has changed. The heatsink mounting mechanisms are a little more involved, the LED fad has taken over stylistically, but everything else is a variation on what we've been using for three decades.

PCs have gotten bigger, hotter, noisier, brighter, but there's been very little innovation in terms of form factor, both with the case itself and various components. I found it most remarkable, considering how much revision the Mac has gone through, but I suppose that is the benefit of vertical integration and controlling the entire product stack.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I switched to the Mac in 2005 and didn't pay any attention to PC hardware, other than whatever Apple was using, such as the Radeon cards. If you had asked me four years ago what Nvidia's latest models were, I wouldn't have been able to tell you. In recent years, I've been kicking around the idea of building a custom PC, just for gaming.

Just to be clear, my Mac Studio isn't going anywhere. But last night I bit the bullet and ordered a video card, motherboard, memory, Windows 11 and a DisplayPort cable. I plan to order the rest this weekend. Then I plan to take a couple days off work to dive into the world of PCVR.

It's been so long since I've built a PC that I just kind of turned it over to the gamers I work with. They chose the case, CPU, motherboard, etc. :D

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Just to be clear, my Mac Studio isn't going anywhere.
I'm always going to have some sort of headless Mac, so I totally get it. My next model will probably either be a M(x) Pro Mac mini or a M(x) Max Mac Studio with the optional upgraded graphics.

But last night I bit the bullet and ordered a video card, motherboard, memory, Windows 11 and a DisplayPort cable. I plan to order the rest this weekend. Then I plan to take a couple days off work to dive into the world of PCVR.
Well, don't keep us in suspense...

It's been so long since I've built a PC that I just kind of turned it over to the gamers I work with. They chose the case, CPU, motherboard, etc.
Specs?

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm always going to have some sort of headless Mac, so I totally get it. My next model will probably either be a M(x) Pro Mac mini or a M(x) Max Mac Studio with the optional upgraded graphics.

I get it. Although for me I went to the laptop side. Especially now that an M1 Max 16" MBP doesn't get toasty doing any sort of real work like the 16" Intel version. Do not miss trying to keep my MBP and iMac in sync.

My project for this weekend is to integrate a new KVM switch into my setup. 1 PC, 1 personal Mac, 1 work Mac. Did a quick test and so far, the KVM switch is handling 4K @ 144Hz on the PC side just fine. Finally the KVMs are catching up to DisplayPort 1.4 and not flaking out when you try to saturate it. Thank you Jebus.

Top Bottom
1 2