Garden and Yard Talk

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Using a plant ID app called Plant Snap. There are ”free” apps, this one limits the number of snaps per day, evaluate, and keep. 2 snaps per day or watch an ad and get 3 more, or $20 a year/s2.99 month.

It’s hotter than Hell here today, 97F but I stopped long enough by our wild flower strip to take 2 pics

2EB6FFE1-35DF-423D-8C80-821491CBDAC0.jpeg
Identified as Garden Cosmos

DA3AF421-1E7E-4542-B76E-29180A2B8DC8.jpeg
Identified as Corn Flower.​

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Now for something really different. this is a hybrid orchid. one of the phalaenopsis you used in the store all of the time and with the big blooms and a panda orchid that you don't see. they are really different pants and they take opposite culture. a Phal likes its roots to dry out between watering and doesn't to not need a huge amount of light. where a vanda likes bight light and loves high humidity on its dangly roots. they love it outside in florida and often don't need any care. so this guy has been tricky. we grow him in a jar like a panda to keep the humidity up and lost f light. but I think he wants less water and once I stopped soaking him for 8 hours twice a week like the panda he bloomed. orchids only bloom when they are happy. so below is a pic of the little guy maybe 5 years old and a vanda we have to give you an idea of the difference between the two. it looks morel like the vanda but the flower is more like a Phal. Phals need a big drop in temp for a couple of weeks to bloom like when going from fall to winter. but this is summer.
IMG_3151.jpeg
IMG_3142.jpeg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Now for something really different. this is a hybrid orchid. one of the phalaenopsis you used in the store all of the time and with the big blooms and a panda orchid that you don't see. they are really different pants and they take opposite culture. a Phal likes its roots to dry out between watering and doesn't to not need a huge amount of light. where a vanda likes bight light and loves high humidity on its dangly roots. they love it outside in florida and often don't need any care. so this guy has been tricky. we grow him in a jar like a panda to keep the humidity up and lost f light. but I think he wants less water and once I stopped soaking him for 8 hours twice a week like the panda he bloomed. orchids only bloom when they are happy. so below is a pic of the little guy maybe 5 years old and a vanda we have to give you an idea of the difference between the two. it looks morel like the vanda but the flower is more like a Phal. Phals need a big drop in temp for a couple of weeks to bloom like when going from fall to winter. but this is summer.
View attachment 7906View attachment 7907
Beautiful.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wild flower bed update. Right now it looks like a bed of overgrown weeds. Waiting on flowers to start popping. :)
View attachment 5126

View attachment 5127
Elephant Ears taking off!

Aug, the Wildflower strip is big and bold, more green than flowers. Many yellow flowers around the bottom can’t be seen in this image. The biggest plants out there have yet to bloom. I took my iPhone out and took a picture with the Plant Snap app to try to identify it and the semi-alarming result is Annual Ragweed. Now Annual Ragweed is not one of the flowers listed in the wildflower seed packet, so I’m hoping that the app mis-identified it. My wife says that some of the perennial flowers don’t bloom the first year so, we‘ll see. :unsure:

DE3187E7-5C1D-481C-B1C5-CD4B905269B2.jpeg
Annual Ragweed?

27658E5E-6497-453E-94E5-5AEA876B226A.jpeg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Aug, the Wildflower strip is big and bold, more green than flowers. Many yellow flowers around the bottom can’t be seen in this image. The biggest plants out there have yet to bloom. I took my iPhone out and took a picture with the Plant Snap app to try to identify it and the semi-alarming result is Annual Ragweed. Now Annual Ragweed is not one of the flowers listed in the wildflower seed packet, so I’m hoping that the app mis-identified it. My wife says that some of the perennial flowers don’t bloom the first year so, we‘ll see. :unsure:
Looks like a fine marijuana crop ya got going there. 🤣😂

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like a fine marijuana crop ya got going there. 🤣😂
we could grow it here in oregon but man it stinks. we would pass this house all the time thats by the bike path and smell it for weeks on end. don't like the smell of it at all.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
we could grow it here in oregon but man it stinks. we would pass this house all the time thats by the bike path and smell it for weeks on end. don't like the smell of it at all.
The plant marijuana while growing stinks, when flowering, or when smoked? As I recall the smoked smell is not so bad. It’s been over a decade but the last time I smelled Mary Jane was at an Eagles concert significantly. :)

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree. I actually dislike the smell and the taste. Can’t even hide the taste in edibles.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The plant marijuana while growing stinks, when flowering, or when smoked? As I recall the smoked smell is not so bad. It’s been over a decade but the last time I smelled Mary Jane was at an Eagles concert significantly. :)
always stinks it seems. nothing like smelling skunk on every ride.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
It smells like a skunk when flowering. Hence why some of the strain names have "skunk" in them.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Researching hydroponic systems and came across this.

This is industrial scale, but it sounds like the future to me, especially when you hear about all the wasted resources in traditional farming to what it sounds like producers an inferior product. Important to note, no need for pest control and the chemical associated with it.

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Researching hydroponic systems and came across this.

This is industrial scale, but it sounds like the future to me, especially when you hear about all the wasted resources in traditional farming to what it sounds like producers an inferior product. Important to note, not need for pest control and the chemical associated with it.

Urban indoor farms are getting bigger by the year. I can easily see this as the environment t gets more hostile.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
This is industrial scale, but it sounds like the future to me, especially when you hear about all the wasted resources in traditional farming to what it sounds like producers an inferior product. Important to note, no need for pest control and the chemical associated with it.

Not sure about the inferior product part of it. We get hydroponic tomatoes in the winter and they are not as good as what we get in the summer from the ground.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My favorite part of visiting Israel was a tour of the hydroponics farms. Not sure why we don’t see more of these in more places.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I've been trimming, well, hacking through the jungle of ... our palmettos, want to get them super minimal, so they grow up/long, then do some river rock, a little ground cover, maybe some mysterious oddities :D

JFC, it's like I've been in a fight with a tiger, hahaha, I'm all hacked up - I do a good amount of snake scare up front, clear out anything lurking, so far, no encounters :oops:

It's going to look amazing when it's done, and I'm wading into the, call it, "unmanaged" side to clean those up too, i.e., here:

IMG_7817.jpeg

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been trimming, well, hacking through the jungle of ... our palmettos, want to get them super minimal, so they grow up/long, then do some river rock, a little ground cover, maybe some mysterious oddities :D

JFC, it's like I've been in a fight with a tiger, hahaha, I'm all hacked up - I do a good amount of snake scare up front, clear out anything lurking, so far, no encounters :oops:

It's going to look amazing when it's done, and I'm wading into the, call it, "unmanaged" side to clean those up too, i.e., here:

View attachment 8220
I like the jungle. You know when Armageddon cones you can eat Palmetto hearts til they run out. Maybe they’ll already be cooked for you. :D

Top Bottom
1 2