Garden and Yard Talk

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
2F2EF8D3-DDFB-48CC-AC34-D3AE500A3E99.jpeg

An update. Added the pool furniture, trimming, and roof and front perch to the feeder bar.

Still need to do some roof details, run the roof lights, and make the roof box for the light solar panels. Also the rear bar perch. Want to have it done by Thanksgiving.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
My concern is squirrels will love it too much and they really love to wreck shop when there's food involved.

Have you seen the youtube videos of the guy who makes basically a squirrel obstacle course in his back yard. If they can navigate it, they get the birdseed.

And then there is this one:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Have you seen the youtube videos of the guy who makes basically a squirrel obstacle course in his back yard. If they can navigate it, they get the birdseed.

And then there is this one:

Yeah, I've seen the squirrel obstacle courses, pretty epic. Funny thing is the birds have also discovered my squirrel feeder train and sometimes there will be 4 - 5 birds going at it. It's probably revenge for the squirrels hitting the bird feeder I have hanging from the tree.

I sometimes like to slap on headphones to listen to some epic Hans Zimmer movie soundtrack songs while I watch the wildlife in the backyard. You'd be shocked at how often the music fits. Everything that isn't sleeping is important and full of dangers with animals.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I'd like to ask if anyone here has experience with Agave succulents.

Three years ago my wife and I engaged in a large landscaping project around our home. Most of the plants are succulents of various varieties; including five Agaves.

Earlier this year one Agave started sprouting a 3" diameter stalk that topped out at 20 feet tall. A month ago another one, of a different variety, started and now has a stalk that's around 5" in diameter and is currently 6' tall.

The first Agave bloomed slender yellow-green twine-like flowers, while the second one looks it will probably bloom more rounded bell-shaped white flowers.

Since the first Agave's flowers have had their day and died, we were wondering what to do with the stalk; thinking it may still be alive. Doing some online research I was surprised to learn that once an Agave has bloomed, the plant (and stalk) will soon die.

Have to admit learning that is a little sad and disappointing. Was wondering if people here have any personal knowledge about this. Thanks!

Attachments

• Jeanne & Agave 9-11-22.jpg
    Jeanne & Agave 9-11-22.jpg
    760.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Agave stalk 2.jpg
    Agave stalk 2.jpg
    747.8 KB · Views: 8

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd like to ask if anyone here has experience with Agave succulents.

Three years ago my wife and I engaged in a large landscaping project around our home. Most of the plants are succulents of various varieties; including five Agaves.

Earlier this year one Agave started sprouting a 3" diameter stalk that topped out at 20 feet tall. A month ago another one, of a different variety, started and now has a stalk that's around 5" in diameter and is currently 6' tall.

The first Agave bloomed slender yellow-green twine-like flowers, while the second one looks it will probably bloom more rounded bell-shaped white flowers.

Since the first Agave's flowers have had their day and died, we were wondering what to do with the stalk; thinking it may still be alive. Doing some online research I was surprised to learn that once an Agave has bloomed, the plant (and stalk) will soon die.

Have to admit learning that is a little sad and disappointing. Was wondering if people here have any personal knowledge about this. Thanks!
Was there a huge wad of seeds at the top of the stalk? I would assume that if the plants bloom and then die, there would be abundant seeds? 🤔 The Cosmos we have planted in our wild flower strip bloom like crazy and we’d have them all over if we did not cut our lawn or pull them up where they are not wanted.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll just put this here as they will be eventually released in my backyard when the weather improves (as if they aren't capable of surviving the same region I caught them in :ROFLMAO:). Caught them at work and put them in the bowl display I made that sat on my desk. Not really intended to keep animals but it seems to have worked out well. I just added them to the rest of my home zoo routine, daily misting for water and drop is some crickets every 3 to 4 days.

IMG_8408.jpeg

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Outstanding! Do you sell these?

No. That was just a one-off. Maybe it's something I would do if I was retired, but it's pretty time consuming on top of a full-time job. Also by the time I was finished I don't know if I would have even started if I knew how much work was ahead when I started. But I guess not knowing that when you start can also be a benefit as you just have a vague finished product in your head that you look forward to getting to without getting hung up on how long it will take to get there.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Southern Weather disaster seems to have concluded and I’m looking at my once proud:

Reduced to:

Described as hearty in zones 9-11 (we are 9), it remains to be seen if this will rise like the Phoenix or have to be replaced... :cry:

These are tubers. Next time, I’ll know to cut it back in advance and cover it up.

My region (NE Texas) is expecting a hard freeze on Friday, an unusual occurance here, so I am rounding up vulnerable plants and herding them into our kitchen. Some others will be covered .the most elaborate protection for a lemon tree includes a cover and a heat lamp. The elephant ear, as big and beautiful as it is I was thinking about covering it, but would have to cut much of it down in advance. I’ll probably just let it take it’s chances as it has recovered before with hard freezes. AndvI have a spare in a pot. :)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sub-Freezing hits tonight in Houston, projected to drop to the mid teens. I had a long talk with my Elephant Ear, in a couple of days it’s going to be a big pile of mush. It understood and realized that if I cut the leaves and piles them, it would help protect the core. Similar talk with the philodendron in the front bed. It was ok with it too and it got 2 sheets. ;)

D0441B4B-409E-4123-90F3-8BA7D946199F.jpeg
Before

3FEAA6E9-D905-4FD0-AF37-35130ABE64D6.jpeg
After​

Meanwhile in the kitchen got a plant party going with mostly succulents, everyone got drinks, soft music, and I think there is a game of Twister planned.

84B6CE27-9BE2-4CBC-99DF-7D1421B975E9.jpeg

Out back the succulents in the fairy garden are grumbling, they just got 2 large wet towels thrown on them. Look, I can’t please everyone. 🤔

Top Bottom
1 2