Google Pixels leak cropped photos

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
1679158814150.png

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
This truly is a bonkers one, it involves a system API change that is such an obviously Bad Idea it's incomprehensible that it got greenlit. They're probably going to find more issues thanks to that one.

But it also required whoever wrote the Android screenshot editing tool to ignore age-old best practices for altering an existing file. These practices would have completely sidestepped this API change, while also providing the user better data integrity in the event of a software crash or hardware failure while saving the cropped image.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Windows also vulnerable through one mechanism (not as bad as Pixel but still bad)

1679421756963.png

Years ago, I used iOS Photos to crop and adjust an image, which was then uploaded to a site – upon viewing it on the site, it had uploaded the original version. I no longer trust Photos to edit images and use some other tool instead.
Aye years ago I seem to remember cropping files in preview, saving, then reopening the file to crop it again and being disturbed that all the original information that was supposed to be cropped out was still there. I dunno maybe that was fixed - I haven’t tried in awhile, but I remember being unhappy.

Top Bottom
1 2