Guns and interstate travel question

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not really looking for controversy here. I don't own a gun and pretty much know zero about all the different laws. Every once and a while I come across videos of people who live entirely in a van or bus conversion and travel around. Given that nomad lifestyle I think you might want a gun for a number of security concerns but crossing different state and even county borders seems like you would constantly be breaking laws potentially. Is this the pain in the ass I think it is?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I think it depends on a couple of things, first of all is even if it is illegal will the police care? Many are pro gun and willing to let you off, at least those in rural areas.

The other thing is how willing they are to ignore the law and it's more common that you think, a lof of people see it as their right regardless of any laws. My father-in-law came to visit us in California on a street that had a ton of cops living on it, including several that were friends, and he packed his entire arsenal which included a real Tommy gun, an AR 15, and about 15 other guns that we had to quietly unload from his rig at night. Not trying to make it political but he's a total gun nut and nobody can reason with him, to top if off he's also careless in his handling and storage of them.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it depends on a couple of things, first of all is even if it is illegal will the police care? Many are pro gun and willing to let you off, at least those in rural areas.

The other thing is how willing they are to ignore the law and it's more common that you think, a lof of people see it as their right regardless of any laws. My father-in-law came to visit us on California on a street that had a ton of cops living on it, including several that were friends, and he packed his entire arsonal which included a real Tommy gun, an AR 15, and about 15 other guns that we had to quietly unload from his rig at night. Not trying to make it political but he's a total gun nut and nobody can reason with him, to top if off he's also careless in his handling and storage of them.

I could see cops turning a blind eye if they feel the person just has the guns to protect their "home". I just don't know if there is some kind of universal interstate laws about this situation, like as long as they are stored a certain way.

Your father-in-law would scare the shit out of me.

Last edited:

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
If you travel with your gun, you need to know the laws in neighboring states. For instance, I used to be a NH resident and owned a handgun. Didn't travel around with it, but if I did the most common place I would be traveling is MA. Now the gun laws between the two states couldn't be any more polar opposite. NH no permit required, open carry state, MA permit required and no open carry, conceal carry possibility depends on the city you live in. Boston absolutely not.

The actual law of transporting it is covered under federal law,
A: Yes. Under federal law (Title 18 US Code, chapter 44, Section 926A), you may transport a firearm interstate provided that you may lawfully carry in the state of origin and in the state of destination.

However that only covers transporting it. If stopped by a MA police and you happen to have your gun strapped on or laying out on the back seat, I imagine there would be an issue. I would highly advise against trying it out on a state border like the one I just described.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Many states that issue CCP's have reciprocity with other states. My WV permit is good for me to carry in 39 states.

And several years ago before WV had an extensive reciprocity network, I had a FL non-resident permit that got me at the time like 20 states.

Now before I can transport my Class 3 weapons across state lines, I have to notify ATF where I am going, which states I am going though and the dates. When I am doing this, individual states have no say it what I am doing because I am covered under Federal Law.

Top Bottom
1 2