Gurman: VR product supposedly delayed

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Typical Gurman. The thing apple never announced, and the thing apple never promised a release date for, is supposedly delayed. He can’t be proven wrong, I guess.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I'm still hoping for sometime this year (is that vague enough?). And that it'll be more AR-focused. Hopefully it will be introduced with a variety of useful apps to give people (and developers) a taste of AR's potential over wide range of disciplines.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm still hoping for sometime this year (is that vague enough?). And that it'll be more AR-focused. Hopefully it will be introduced with a variety of useful apps to give people (and developers) a taste of AR's potential over wide range of disciplines.
Supposedly it will have a Digital Crown that you turn to move from vr to ar

NT1440

Power User
Reaction score

Typical Gurman. The thing apple never announced, and the thing apple never promised a release date for, is supposedly delayed. He can’t be proven wrong, I guess.
Analysts can’t fail, reality can only fail them.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Oddly, I'm not overly excited about Apple's VR. I'm more excited to build a PC so I can finally explore VR past the Quest store. I'm excited that Apple is entering the market, but I suspect it will cost too much and will be its own ecosystem. I like Apple, and hope to be proven wrong, but for my needs, I think Windows is the way to go. To be clear, I'm keeping the Mac Studio. I'm just adding a PC exclusively for VR.

NT1440

Power User
Reaction score
Given the 10 or so years Apple has been exploring everything from UI to haptics in regards to AR, I think Apple’s offering is going to reset what people expect from this space in the first place.

I don’t think we’ll see the actual vision realized until actual glasses are feasible, but I think Apple is squarely focused on *adding* to reality, not closing oneself off from it. That is a guiding principle that high level executives have spoken to repeatedly over the years.

I know that’s a long way to say “they’re not going to deliver something anyone is actually expecting”, but given how much Apple has secretly been putting into this Next Big Thing I think it’s going to be a reset scenario for the industry.

Think of the smartphone (including Android) before he iPhone, then what everyone and there mother was rushing to do afterwards.

I think whatever this is, will be on the same trajectory. They’ve been working on this for a much longer time than most people (or the tech press) realize.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Given the 10 or so years Apple has been exploring everything from UI to haptics in regards to AR, I think Apple’s offering is going to reset what people expect from this space in the first place.

I don’t think we’ll see the actual vision realized until actual glasses are feasible, but I think Apple is squarely focused on *adding* to reality, not closing oneself off from it. That is a guiding principle that high level executives have spoken to repeatedly over the years.

I know that’s a long way to say “they’re not going to deliver something anyone is actually expecting”, but given how much Apple has secretly been putting into this Next Big Thing I think it’s going to be a reset scenario for the industry.

Think of the smartphone (including Android) before he iPhone, then what everyone and there mother was rushing to do afterwards.

I think whatever this is, will be on the same trajectory. They’ve been working on this for a much longer time than most people (or the tech press) realize.

Wowzers! I agree with everything you've said! :)

Apple has been working with Stanford University's AR/VR Laboratory for seven years now. Stanford and another collaborator (Apple competitor I suspect) introduced a glasses-based display at last year's SIGGRAF convention.

I'm still hoping for Apple glasses - sooner rather than later. I'm further sticking my neck out believing it will be wirelessly connected to a user's iPhone, which will do the heavy-lift AR processing. An iPhone already has an A-series cpu/gpu, a good amount of RAM/SSD, decent battery capacity, communications to the internet, etc.

Why unnecessarily duplicate all that stuff in a set of lightweight glasses and make it heavier/bulkier?

Glasses could communicate with a user's iPhone via short-range UWB (which Apple developed and iPhone conveniently has, and is low power).

A small battery, custom ASIC, etc. in glasses could handle the multiple video streams to and from iPhone.

IMO, if Apple introduces a bulky goggles/headset, I'm guessing that will be tepidly received being below most people's expectations coming from Apple.

If there is indeed a delay (Gurman), I suspect it might be due to Apple going for the gusto right from the start, rather than iterating from a goggles/headset and being behind competitors.

I've stuck my neck out far enough. If Apple indeed introduces a set of goggles, I'm willing to endure the Nah-nah-ni-nah-nahs. :)

EDIT: Delays could also be due to getting enough decent apps together from developers and ready to go on launch date.

Last edited:

NT1440

Power User
Reaction score
Wowzers! I agree with everything you've said! :)

Apple has been working with Stanford University's AR/VR Laboratory for seven years now. Stanford and another collaborator (Apple competitor I suspect) introduced a glasses-based display at last year's SIGGRAF convention.

I'm still hoping for Apple glasses - sooner rather than later. I'm further sticking my neck out believing it will be wirelessly connected to a user's iPhone, which will do the heavy-lift AR processing. An iPhone already has an A-series cpu/gpu, a good amount of RAM/SSD, decent battery capacity, communications to the internet, etc.

Why unnecessarily duplicate all that stuff in a set of lightweight glasses and make it heavier/bulkier?

Glasses could communicate with a user's iPhone via short-range UWB (which Apple developed and iPhone conveniently has, and is low power).

A small battery, custom ASIC, etc. in glasses could handle the multiple video streams to and from iPhone.

IMO, if Apple introduces a bulky goggles/headset, I'm guessing that will be tepidly received being below most people's expectations coming from Apple.

If there is indeed a delay (Gurman), I suspect it might be due to Apple going for the gusto right from the start, rather than iterating from a goggles/headset and being behind competitors.

I've stuck my neck out far enough. If Apple indeed introduces a set of goggles, I'm willing to endure the Nah-nah-ni-nah-nahs. :)

EDIT: Delays could also be due to getting enough decent apps together from developers and ready to go on launch date.
I think you and I have basically the same understanding of the foundation both in software and hardware that Apple has been putting into their products with whatever “this” new thing is going to be.

I suspect it’s why the M1 is the floor in terms of performance for modern macs, why the UWB chip is there, why AirTags exist, why ARKit was really made, etc.

Apple has been building the connective tissue across their entire ecosystem for their next Big idea, and I think it’s going to result in things like Handoff being a quaint things if the past for interoperability between devices, if you catch my drift…

ArgoDuck

Power User
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Canon
^ couldn't agree more...and kind of excited for what it means for the Apple Car too, if that 'gets off the ground' as it were.

Top Bottom
1 2