HBO Max has switched over to Max

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
…and there’s a problem. I’ve still got the $15.99 a month ad free plan but I’ve lost 4K, unless I cough up $19.99 a month. Fuck you Warner.
I had to update the app on my Roku and it has a brand new interface. I didn't know that about losing 4K and TBH I have no idea what's really changed. They've done a poor job of rolling this out.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
…and there’s a problem. I’ve still got the $15.99 a month ad free plan but I’ve lost 4K, unless I cough up $19.99 a month. Fuck you Warner.
Try canceling the service, before you verify, they may offer you a deal. I got in on the $1.99 Black Friday deal for two months so that I could burn through House of the Dragon and The Last of Us. They offered me another three months for $4.99 each. I didn't accept, because I had already watched everything I cared about. (I'm not a big television watcher; I spend more time here on TechBoards than on television.)

Also, the new branding is idiotic. Tossing away the most valuable name for quality content is foolish. I'm assuming the iconic HBO intro is going away. The Game of Thrones series theme won't sound right without it.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Try canceling the service, before you verify, they may offer you a deal. I got in on the $1.99 Black Friday deal for two months so that I could burn through House of the Dragon and The Last of Us. They offered me another three months for $4.99 each. I didn't accept, because I had already watched everything I cared about. (I'm not a big television watcher; I spend more time here on TechBoards than on television.)

Also, the new branding is idiotic. Tossing away the most valuable name for quality content is foolish. I'm assuming the iconic HBO intro is going away. The Game of Thrones series theme won't sound right without it.

I cancelled. They tried to fend it off with a new ad-lite tier for $4 less than I’m paying, but never offered 4K. I’ve still got access until Jun 5th so I’ll see if they offer it somehow. Guessing they won’t.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Stupid new app doesn’t work with “Up Next” in the apple tv.app, and doesn’t use the normal video player on Apple TV (so various scrub functionality doesn’t work)

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Stupid new app doesn’t work with “Up Next” in the apple tv.app, and doesn’t use the normal video player on Apple TV (so various scrub functionality doesn’t work)
Great. Hopefully it will work on a FireTV, since that’s what’s on the main TV in the living room.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The problem with all of the streaming services they run out of new subscribers so they can't keep growing like capitalism requires. so the services have to charge more or have and and such. so much competition now but there are less subscribers.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
They just released an update that connects the app to the tv.app so at least now stuff shows up in Up Next

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Looks like I lost 4K as part of my "free" subscription to Max for being a DirecTV Premier sub. And according to the /DirecTV reddit, there is no way to pay the extra $4 to get it.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I guess I never paid attention whether or not the content I watch was in 4K or not.

I didn't either until recently. Maybe because when I built our Home Theater, I went with a cheap 1080p projector figuring the price of 4K's would come way down. They really never did, so I didn't upgrade.

But I ended up with mom's 85" 4K TV which we took to AZ so I now have a 4K display so I have watched some things in 4K and while it is not the same difference as SD>HD, you can see it. I was a little nervous when 4K displays first started coming out as all the demo content looked like a telenovela. It was just too saturated and looked fake. But we watched several of The Mandalorian episodes and they looked pretty good.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
1684958884919.png

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

I still have a 1080P TV. 🤣 But it’s 3D too. Going to be valuable on 2032 hipster market. 🤣

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I still have a 1080P TV. 🤣 But it’s 3D too. Going to be valuable on 2032 hipster market. 🤣
We had an early 4K 3D Sony TV. The 3D was actually legit for a living room experience. Content was an issue. We didn’t use physical media so depended on Comcast On Demand for 3D. Smallest list of films ever. Notable good ones were Edge of Tomorrow and How to Train Your Dragon.

I still enjoy the occasional IMAX 3D experience, like the recent Avatar film. But the public just doesn’t care, even James Cameron can’t really sway them in the end.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I cancelled. They tried to fend it off with a new ad-lite tier for $4 less than I’m paying, but never offered 4K. I’ve still got access until Jun 5th so I’ll see if they offer it somehow. Guessing they won’t.
Max never offered anything so I resubscribed for the top tier (Ultimate) and paid for the year to save some money.

But the DolbyVision/4K did not come back. I Googled and found that many Apple TV 4K owners are having this issue. I called Max and learned that as subscriber of the ad-free plan on HBO Max, I was supposed to continue to have DolbyVision for 6 months after the switch to Max.

But this technical issue with Apple TVs tricked me into thinking they just took it immediately. To sum up, I’m paying more, I don’t have DolbyVision anymore, and the content selection looks like a flea market of bad TV shows. Max is really teaching me something about how business works.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
We had an early 4K 3D Sony TV. The 3D was actually legit for a living room experience. Content was an issue. We didn’t use physical media so depended on Comcast On Demand for 3D. Smallest list of films ever. Notable good ones were Edge of Tomorrow and How to Train Your Dragon.

I still enjoy the occasional IMAX 3D experience, like the recent Avatar film. But the public just doesn’t care, even James Cameron can’t really sway them in the end.
The local theater offers regular, surround sound, and 3D. The last 2 versions cost more, and I always schedule to avoid them. And the iMax is too far away to mess with…:unsure:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The problem with all of the streaming services they run out of new subscribers so they can't keep growing like capitalism requires. so the services have to charge more or have and and such. so much competition now but there are less subscribers.
When we watch a series, it is usually 2 episodes a day. So it’s easy to wrap up 2 seasons in a month, even more. My wife has 2 shows on Max she needs to catch up on, and so we wait until at least 6 of the 10 episodes has been released, then jump on it. No need to be on the leading edge of viewing. :) I agree that getting rid of the name HBO was a huge blunder.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
That’s why I’ll always hit and run subscribe to HBO, I might even forgo 4k. :unsure:
The human eye can only resolve so much, unless we go pixel peeping, there's likely little difference between 4K and 1080p for typical living room television viewing. I've got a ~220ppi LG UltraFine for my Mac, because of the proximity in which I view it. There are clear diminishing returns when scaling from 720p, 1080p, 1440p, and 4K. Here is a viewing chart for optimal distances to sit in front of a television, based upon resolution and panel size. I have a 55-inch 4K, but notice zero difference between 1080p and 4K content, because I watch further back than the typical distance for human visual acuity for 4K.

As I said earlier in this thread, I picked up HBO Max for $1.99 for 3 months during Black Friday. I don't watch a lot of television, so it was perfect for me to burn through House of the Dragon and The Last of Us. It was the basic tier with 1080p and limited ads, but it was fine, 4K would offer me no perceptible difference, because I am not this lady.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The human eye can only resolve so much, unless we go pixel peeping, there's likely little difference between 4K and 1080p for typical living room television viewing. I've got a ~220ppi LG UltraFine for my Mac, because of the proximity in which I view it. There are clear diminishing returns when scaling from 720p, 1080p, 1440p, and 4K. Here is a viewing chart for optimal distances to sit in front of a television, based upon resolution and panel size. I have a 55-inch 4K, but notice zero difference between 1080p and 4K content, because I watch further back than the typical distance for human visual acuity for 4K.

As I said earlier in this thread, I picked up HBO Max for $1.99 for 3 months during Black Friday. I don't watch a lot of television, so it was perfect for me to burn through House of the Dragon and The Last of Us. It was the basic tier with 1080p and limited ads, but it was fine, 4K would offer me no perceptible difference, because I am not this lady.
I agree with your analysis, rarely I can tell the difference between 1,2, and 4k, maybe a little difference along with the caveat that these streaming services don’t guarantee an image resolution, and when under stress it is downsized.

Top Bottom
1 2