HBO Max issue

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Part of my frustration is I don’t even know who to go to with this issue to sit on hold before they just blame some other party. Do I contact Xfinity? HBO? Apple? Googling hasn’t helped much either. Just posting here might even be more productive.

I have access to HBO Max through my Xfinity cable package. When it first came out I had no issues setting it up on my iPhone, iPad, and Apple TVs. Now it’s suddenly asking me to login again, points me to Xfinity to login in the process, and then I get a page saying I’m trying to login with a secondary ID and I need to use my primary ID. I have no idea what the fuck it is talking about. I only have 1 Xfinity ID and it’s worked perfectly fine on every other Xfinity login that has been required until HBO Max about a week ago.

I’ve tried removing the apps and reinstalling, removing my Xfinity account from my Apple TV prefs and setting it up again, and setting up an HBO Max account (no idea how I got there BTW and I can’t seem to find it again) and still everything I’ve tried ends with the same bullshit.

Has anybody else had this issue? Thanks for listening.

U

User.45

Part of my frustration is I don’t even know who to go to with this issue to sit on hold before they just blame some other party. Do I contact Xfinity? HBO? Apple? Googling hasn’t helped much either. Just posting here might even be more productive.

I have access to HBO Max through my Xfinity cable package. When it first came out I had no issues setting it up on my iPhone, iPad, and Apple TVs. Now it’s suddenly asking me to login again, points me to Xfinity to login in the process, and then I get a page saying I’m trying to login with a secondary ID and I need to use my primary ID. I have no idea what the fuck it is talking about. I only have 1 Xfinity ID and it’s worked perfectly fine on every other Xfinity login that has been required until HBO Max about a week ago.

I’ve tried removing the apps and reinstalling, removing my Xfinity account from my Apple TV prefs and setting it up again, and setting up an HBO Max account (no idea how I got there BTW and I can’t seem to find it again) and still everything I’ve tried ends with the same bullshit.

Has anybody else had this issue? Thanks for listening.
do you have an HBO go/now ID? try that one if you do.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Right, typically you'd fire up the app, "login", select a provider, get prompted by the provider (Xfinity, FIOS, etc.), and it sends that auth back to the app - of course, with an AppleTV you get a code to auth on a different device though the service's (i.e., HBOMAX) website auth URL.

On TV/iPad there's a Setting for TV Provider, where you set an "automated auth", you can set specific services to use it, maybe something is funked up in that setting, you might think about removing that, re-auth, let it get saved again.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Right, typically you'd fire up the app, "login", select a provider, get prompted by the provider (Xfinity, FIOS, etc.), and it sends that auth back to the app - of course, with an AppleTV you get a code to auth on a different device though the service's (i.e., HBOMAX) website auth URL.

On TV/iPad there's a Setting for TV Provider, where you set an "automated auth", you can set specific services to use it, maybe something is funked up in that setting, you might think about removing that, re-auth, let it get saved again.

It's like HBO Max changed the process but doesn't provide any info on how to do it.

I decided to check the app reviews and while my specific problem isn't mentioned, the developer is responding to other reviews and posts a way to contact them. I'll have to give that a go.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I have a similar issue, I want to use it with my YoutubeTV subscription so I can just have the line up there but it appears the only way is to purchase it through them, so that's out. Amazon Firestick doesn't have the app and I don't want to go through all the workarounds so that's out. My Samsung TV does have the app and even though it's functionality is crap that's the only one I can really use.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Everyone selling pieces has gotten complicated. I have HBO Max through my AT&T phone plan, so I’m constantly leaving YoutubeTV to go to HBO or Hulu or Netflix or Amazon.....

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Everyone selling pieces has gotten complicated. I have HBO Max through my AT&T phone plan, so I’m constantly leaving YoutubeTV to go to HBO or Hulu or Netflix or Amazon.....

A little advertised feature of the Apple TV app is if you do a search for a movie or show title it will let you know which streaming services it's available on and if you are using it on an Apple TV (and I would assume iOS device) you can click on that service icon and it will go straight to that service's app and that movie/show you want to watch.

U

User.45

A little advertised feature of the Apple TV app is if you do a search for a movie or show title it will let you know which streaming services it's available on and if you are using it on an Apple TV (and I would assume iOS device) you can click on that service icon and it will go straight to that service's app and that movie/show you want to watch.
Except it is on Netflix...at least it didn't see netflix when I had it.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

If only it worked that seamlessly.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think it has Netflix now.
If you search on the Apple TV general search for a show, and Netflix has it, it’ll show you. It never pushed Netflix shows, though, and Netflix cant be put on the Up Next or Watch Now, or whatever they’re called.

The Apple TV+ app is a godawful mess, so I doubt Netflix hurts much from not joining.

JBaby

Power User
Reaction score
If you search on the Apple TV general search for a show, and Netflix has it, it’ll show you. It never pushed Netflix shows, though, and Netflix cant be put on the Up Next or Watch Now, or whatever they’re called.

The Apple TV+ app is a godawful mess, so I doubt Netflix hurts much from not joining.

It will only show if it’s a Netflix original. Otherwise it won’t tell you. Netflix is such trash these days. If I could convince my sister to dump it I would. There isn’t an tv+ app. There’s only an tv app called TV. tv+ is a service that’s played through the TV app.  really messed up the naming of all of this. It only confuses the Muggles all over the tv subreddit.

Top Bottom
1 2