Herbs and veggies...what are you rocking in your garden?

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Spring time is upon us!!

I'll be posting mine in future posts. Just wanted to get this thread started.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
The in-laws grow a few Chinese veggies. Don't know the names. I do know that my FIL is obsessed about his babies: cherry tomatoes. Had me tending to them when they made a last minute trip back home to Taiwan a few summers ago. The wife next door died a couple years ago, so the husband asked my FIL to stop leaving baskets of the tomatoes for him because it reminds him of how much his wife loved snacking on them.

I think my MIL will be growing an extensive herb garden on the side of the house or just outside the back kitchen window area. I tried to convince them to grow veggies from scrapes like I saw on Instagram/YouTube. No deal. Not sure I have the patience to do it myself.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I tried to convince them to grow veggies from scrapes like I saw on Instagram/YouTube. No deal. Not sure I have the patience to do it myself.

Green onions are stupid easy to grow from what you get at the grocery store. Just cut them below where they start turning green, stick those in a glass of water in a sunny location for about a week or two and you’ll see the roots start to grow. I then plant 4 or 5 of those in a gallon grow bag and water every couple days. They grow fairly quickly and I’ve been cutting off the same plants for about 6 months now.

That could be a good gateway grow to get you inspired to try more. ;)

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Chives are an irrepressible perennial and the first thing to pop back up in spring around here. I love to see them starting out of the ground every year even if there's still snow or ice around them! But it reminds me to go dig up the outer edges of their habitat when it gets a little warmer -- and brick them in again, because they are invasive.

After that it's a time of waiting to put anything into the ground outside, since the growing season is short here. Planting-out time is late May and often coincides with Memorial Day weekend for the seasonal residents just arriving then to open up their places. The rest of us might wait as long as two more weeks to plant out tender items if it's been a cold spring up to that point.

I'll have patio tomatoes and assorted herbs on the deck, and at most some bush beans and broccoli out back this year, maybe one four-foot square given over to a couple of summer squash plants. I have mint and rhubarb out behind the barn where they can't get too rambunctious trying to take over the planet. A few raspberries and blackberries too.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd like to plant some hot peppers, specifically datil, maybe jalapeno. Kind of the "core" herbs would be great, like oregano, thyme, sweet basil is fun to have.

I've been wintering my jalapeno tree in my greenhouse. I'll probably wait a couple more weeks before I put it back outside. That thing grows jalapenos like grape clusters, easily 30 - 40 at all times.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
the "core" herbs would be great, like oregano, thyme, sweet basil is fun to have.

Looks like the wife's rosemary made it through the winter. Had to bring it in for about 2 weeks during a severe cold spell, but it is back out and doing great.

She also grows thyme but doesn't winter it over. She is going to try to grow those small multi-colored tomatoes again this year. The ones last year didn't get enough sun where they were so she is going to try a different location.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Oh yeah, rosemary is another good one, toss a big chunk of butter in a pan, add a couple of sprigs of fresh rosemary, get some heat into it, then toss in your steaks!

Wife makes a marinade with rosemary, olive oil and a little bit of brown mustard. Rub the steak in it and let them sit in the fridge overnight. Then cook them in the BGE. Yum.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
A4A58A6F-B08A-4DC8-9C5C-0D39B2B05E37.jpeg
DBB8A849-A076-428E-9D30-E73DE9C1D4B1.jpeg

Late to my own party. In the greenhouse I have green onions, mint, rosemary, broccoli, cucumbers, basil, oregano, cilantro, thyme, jalapenos, basil, and chives. I’ll move some outside as it warms up, but outside I currently have more broccoli, tomatoes, and cabbage.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Bought a Aerogarden at Christmas and had fresh herbs through the winter. I was pleasantly surprised on how well they did.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Bought a Aerogarden at Christmas and had fresh herbs through the winter. I was pleasantly surprised on how well they did.

My roommate is a vegetarian. Having said that, his daughters got him a hydroponic garden setup for his birthday over a year ago that he has yet to use. I’m pretty sure it’s out of laziness. And even though I’ve said he can use whatever I’m growing in the garden, I think the only time he has is when I made something with it.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Looks like l won't be doing my side garden project. My crazy mother in-law is refusing to share space. Even though I helped clear the side and back soil areas. I may just have to scheme over the next couple weekends to design additional space that'll I use. That or just commandeer the side area that was never used for those purposes. I'll dare her to dig shit up if necessary.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like l won't be doing my side garden project. My crazy mother in-law is refusing to share space. Even though I helped clear the side and back soil areas. I may just have to scheme over the next couple weekends to design additional space that'll I use. That or just commandeer the side area that was never used for those purposes. I'll dare her to dig shit up if necessary.

My roommates think I should pay more rent because I've enjoyed the gardening. Never mind that they've got zero ideas on what to alternatively do with the backyard and I do 100% of the maintenance. I guess we should stop paying the world's gardeners. In fact, they should be paying the property owners for the rewarding experience of raking and pulling weeds.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
My roommates think I should pay more rent because I've enjoyed the gardening. Never mind that they've got zero ideas on what to alternatively do with the backyard and I do 100% of the maintenance. I guess we should stop paying the world's gardeners. In fact, they should be paying the property owners for the rewarding experience of raking and pulling weeds.
I'd tell the roomies to go pound sand! You've added to the place and improved it. Same here. I was all into composting and improvements to the back and side lots. Now my in-laws reap the benefits for their garden items (he only cares about his "babies" = cherry tomatoes) thanks to my brilliant idea that came with a free composting barrel from the Queens Botanical Garden (guess who lugged it home nearly a mile!) that improve the output and I get nada. :unsure:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
^^^ Damn... that video made me go open a jar each of baby dills and bread'n'butter pickle chips after I got to thinking about cucumber harvests. Almost time to start having pickles with sandwiches and salads at lunch again during early spring, even if it will be months before any gardener even sets out their cucumber plants around here.

Top Bottom
1 2