Home charging points for EV's

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
Tesla has now decided to no longer include the mobile connector with the car citing " low usage".........

Total BS........

They originally upped the price to $400( might as well get the wall connector for $95 more....), but due to outrage lowered it to $200......
We bought a used Tesla in February (direct from Tesla). We assumed the car wouldn't come with a cable so I had bought one on Amazon before receiving the Tesla only to find a brand new one in the back trunk. So sadly, we're probably not helping the "low usage" stats because we use the cheap Amazon cable all the time instead of the Tesla one - but we're very glad to have it.

That's not cool.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Tesla has now decided to no longer include the mobile connector with the car citing " low usage".........

Total BS........

They originally upped the price to $400( might as well get the wall connector for $95 more....), but due to outrage lowered it to $200......

I haven’t used my connector in 8 years. I used it the first week I had the car until the home wall charger was installed. But I like knowing that I *could* use it if I needed to.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
We bought a used Tesla in February (direct from Tesla). We assumed the car wouldn't come with a cable so I had bought one on Amazon before receiving the Tesla only to find a brand new one in the back trunk. So sadly, we're probably not helping the "low usage" stats because we use the cheap Amazon cable all the time instead of the Tesla one - but we're very glad to have it.

That's not cool.
I was lucky enough to get it with my car at the time I purchased and it's worked flawlessly but IMO not including with the car is cheating the customer and it's just another way they're milking them. My guess is not a single buyer will purchase the car without spending the extra $200 for it. I guess being the richest man on the planet just isn't enough for Musk.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
I haven’t used my connector in 8 years. I used it the first week I had the car until the home wall charger was installed. But I like knowing that I *could* use it if I needed to.

I haven't used the connector at all in my 3 either since I went with the wall connector. But, it's the reason why I went with the wall connector so it is in my car the whole time vs having to unplug, pack it up and then vice versa. It's there just in case I need to use it( abeit at 120V.....).

But plenty of others go the mobile connector+14-50 adapter for their charging solution to save money vs cost of wall connector+installation.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
I haven't used the connector at all in my 3 either since I went with the wall connector. But, it's the reason why I went with the wall connector so it is in my car the whole time vs having to unplug, pack it up and then vice versa. It's there just in case I need to use it( abeit at 120V.....).

But plenty of others go the mobile connector+14-50 adapter for their charging solution to save money vs cost of wall connector+installation.
Like me. I rent and it was going to be $3k to install a wall charger (owner didn't want to split cost). So we live off of our normal wall plug with a normal charger (that I got from Amazon) at both home and college. lol.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

Total BS........

A spare tire is “low usage” too but it’s kind of important when you need it.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
A dozen? Why so many?

No idea. The 21” wheels are nail magnets? At least once a year, and often more, I’ve had to get tires repaired or replaced. Usually I’ve used their mobile tire service, but they seem to have made that impossible to use as of a few months ago - the last two times I’ve had flats (in february and march) I’ve had to go to third parties to deal with them, which is not fun when you have no spare.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
And it’s hard to find cars with spare tires these days too!
In all the years I've been driving, I've only ever had to use my spare tire once. Of course, I expect now that I've typed this, I'll get a flat. Same thing happened with my only flat a long time ago - I told someone that I never get flats and bam, got one. So..... yeah.

Sad to see. I initially thought it was because Tesla didn't want people puncturing their batteries trying to jack up their car?

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
In all the years I've been driving, I've only ever had to use my spare tire once. Of course, I expect now that I've typed this, I'll get a flat. Same thing happened with my only flat a long time ago - I told someone that I never get flats and bam, got one. So..... yeah.

Sad to see. I initially thought it was because Tesla didn't want people puncturing their batteries trying to jack up their car?

At least with the cars that typically don’t have spares are on run flats.

Tesla’s are not on run flats….

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score

I had to replace my rear right tire three times in about 3 months. 2 nails too close together, nail too close to sidewall, completely blown tire…

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
You got an EV? Which ones(s).
Yeah, got an i3 in 2019. Mechanical warranty is up now so sniffing round for the next one but the prices are mental now!

I am trying to not think conspiracy now. You know here the VED is free for EVs below £40k list. However additional VED is payable at £340 a year in years 2-5 for any car valued over £40k list at time of first registration. So now all but the shortest ranged EVs are….. you guessed it….. more than £40k….

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score

The i3 has the canister of gloop to repair roadside rather than a spare - as the tyres are so soft on the i3, I get practice using the slime. Getting pretty quick with it now.

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get it with my car at the time I purchased and it's worked flawlessly but IMO not including with the car is cheating the customer and it's just another way they're milking them. My guess is not a single buyer will purchase the car without spending the extra $200 for it. I guess being the richest man on the planet just isn't enough for Musk.
I blame Apple….. I blame them for starting this trend of not shipping chargers with their phones….. :cool:

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score

I suppose I am being a drama queen here but in over 30 years of driving, I have ONLY had punctures in my i3 - thank you for tyre insurance!

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
I suppose I am being a drama queen here but in over 30 years of driving, I have ONLY had punctures in my i3 - thank you for tyre insurance!
And the i3 tyres only last 12-14k miles too…

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah, got an i3 in 2019. Mechanical warranty is up now so sniffing round for the next one but the prices are mental now!

I am trying to not think conspiracy now. You know here the VED is free for EVs below £40k list. However additional VED is payable at £340 a year in years 2-5 for any car valued over £40k list at time of first registration. So now all but the shortest ranged EVs are….. you guessed it….. more than £40k….
The i3 I have on order has an RRP of less than 40k, but not by much! Had to be careful with the options!

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
So you think tyre and wheel insurance is worth it? I’ve had it offered but not looked into it yet.

Top Bottom
1 2