Home Depot rolling out Apple Pay

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Main Camera
Sony

Home Depot is the only place I shop that still doesn’t accept Apple Pay. Recently we bought a washing machine there, and it took many tries for the guy to get the transaction entered by typing on his computer (terrible system - if you need to change the delivery date, they have to start from scratch, etc.). Anyway, my wife had to keep reading out our credit card number for the guy, and finally asked “can we just use apple pay?”. I laughed.

The guy - definitely not a techie - responded that they don’t support it, because of “poor security.”

I laughed again.

He asked why I was laughing, so I explained to the guy that, unlike a credit card, an apple pay transaction cannot be replayed, and you can’t intercept a useful card number or secret code from it like you can for a credit card. He was genuinely dumbfounded.

He told us “we were told that if asked about apple pay, we are supposed to say it’s not secure enough.”

good they had it at first they were one of the first then dropped it. walmart needs it they are about the only place I go that does not have it.

Last time I was there I had to drive all the way back home to get my debit card because they wouldn't accept Apple Pay, they're in the stone age when it comes to this stuff.

From what I understand, tap to pay with a card is still not as secure as Apple Pay.
Apple Pay is more secure. Apple Pay never transmits your credit card number and instead transmits a token that cannot be predicted and cannot be reused. If the retailer gets hacked, or an employee there goes rogue, there’s nothing they can do with the information they have.

I’m old enough to remember when clerks used to steal carbon paper and use it to steal credit card numbers. Happened to me several times - each time at Sears!

About damn time. It's not just that they didn't accept it, but also that they have the worst card readers in retail. Every time I go there it's a 50/50 chance the reader will spit out errors.

A short while ago I spoke to an employee at the self checkout area and he said that's the number one complaint by both customers and employees.

Back