Horror movies

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I love Horror movies, but I live alone in my house so I'm always scaring myself lol

Yeah I can't watch horror flicks because of effect on my subsequent behavior. Like stepping outside in the moonlight to refill a bird feeder I had forgotten to top off before nightfall. I end up thinking well I can do that in the morning, the thing is probably half full anyway, I mean if I went out there and a screech owl just happened to call out then from within the mini forest behind my stone wall, I'd probably pass out.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I don't know what you guys are talking about. The minute I step outside, I'm attacked by Jason, Michael Myers, Kurt Barlow, a shapeshifting Arctic monster, the ghosts from the Overlook Hotel, a dude with a fly's head, various zombies, and some damn clown with a red balloon.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't know what you guys are talking about. The minute I step outside, I'm attacked by Jason, Michael Myers, Kurt Barlow, a shapeshifting Arctic monster, the ghosts from the Overlook Hotel, a dude with a fly's head, various zombies, and some damn clown with a red balloon.

That's better than opening your front door and standing there are the members of the Freedom Caucus.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
These are probably my favorite horror movies, in no particular order:

- Nightmare on Elm Street
- It Follows
- The Ring

Too many horror movies follow the same plot. It’s always refreshing to see something unique.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Another Mike Flanagan series coming to Netflix in 2022.

I’m not being critical of you, but that article says virtually nothing about what the Midnight Club is about. All it says is that a show called The Midnight Club by Mike Flanagan is coming to Netflix As if we are supposed to know. :)

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m not being critical of you, but that article says virtually nothing about what the Midnight Club is about. All it says is that a show called The Midnight Club by Mike Flanagan is coming to Netflix As if we are supposed to know. :)

No worries. I started a thread a while back dedicated to pointless articles that reveal nothing or don't even deliver on the promise of the title. "When Will the Next iPad Be Released?" Then 6 time wasting paragraphs finally concludes with "soon".

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
No worries. I started a thread a while back dedicated to pointless articles that reveal nothing or don't even deliver on the promise of the title. "When Will the Next iPad Be Released?" Then 6 time wasting paragraphs finally concludes with "soon".
Obviously I need to research the Midnight Club, vampires perchance? :)

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Obviously I need to research the Midnight Club, vampires perchance? :)

"A group of seven close terminally ill young adults resides in the Rotterdam Home hospice run by an enigmatic doctor. They meet at midnight every night to tell each other scary stories. One night they make a pact that the first one to succumb to their disease is responsible for communicating with the others beyond the grave. After one of them dies, bizarre occurrences begin."

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
"A group of seven close terminally ill young adults resides in the Rotterdam Home hospice run by an enigmatic doctor. They meet at midnight every night to tell each other scary stories. One night they make a pact that the first one to succumb to their disease is responsible for communicating with the others beyond the grave. After one of them dies, bizarre occurrences begin."
…but they don’t want the dead to cross over and do bad things do they? ;) :D It could be interesting.

As a genre I have backed away from horror when it becomes horror based on a gore fest or the focus is rubbing your eyes in extreme suffering, like Saw, or Hostile. But I can still enjoy a good horror story based on traditional elements, Haunting of Hill House or Get Out! :)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I think they missed a really good one:

Hell House LLC from 2015, it has some creepy moments that might __outspooky__ anything else on the list. 🤡

FWIW, I think the first sequel has a few decent scares, adds some interesting backstory, but gets a little too "explain-y", and the 3rd movie is totally off the rails, this is definitely a series best left at just the original.

Funny, we just recently rewatched, The Houses October Built, and also watched the sequel, which is also very good, and such a tightly coupled follow-up, it's more like just the second 1-1/2 hours of a 3 hours movie :D

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Funny, we just recently rewatched, The Houses October Built, and also watched the sequel, which is also very good, and such a tightly coupled follow-up, it's more like just the second 1-1/2 hours of a 3 hours movie :D

That's the only movie on the list I haven't seen yet. I appreciate your recommendation backup. I'll have to check it out.

I recently rewatched the 1963 The Haunting, a real classic psychological haunted house movie. I found out the house they used is now a hotel.

:D

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Do you know why the original 1963 The Haunting was so good, and the 1999 The Haunting was so bad? The first one was traditional, left much of the scares up to the audiences’ imagination, sounds, minimal physical effects, atmosphere, and a haunting narrative from one of the characters. The 1999 version relied heavily on CGI that was just not scary. In contrast I enjoyed the 1999 House on Haunted Hill. Here, the combination of physical effects and CGI was better.

278587FC-260C-4830-81E5-03A073AD36DF.jpeg

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Do you know why the original 1963 The Haunting was so good, and the 1999 The Haunting was so bad? The first one was traditional, left much of the scares up to the audiences’ imagination, sounds, minimal physical effects, atmosphere, and a haunting narrative from one of the characters. The 1999 version relied heavily on CGI that was just not scary. In contrast I enjoyed the 1999 House on Haunted Hill. Here, the combination of physical effects and CGI was better.

I enjoyed the cavernous mansion in the 1999 version but the scares and atmosphere were too Disneyfied. The over the top Hugh Crain was comical.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Fun / Pointless Fact :D

The roller coaster at the beginning of the '99 remake is actually The Hulk coaster from down at Universal Studios :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That's the only movie on the list I haven't seen yet. I appreciate your recommendation backup. I'll have to check it out.

As you might know, it's a found footage / fakumentary about extremes haunts, and what's cool about that, is they visit a lot of real haunts, interview real scare actors, designers, etc. We originally watched it after watching a real doc about haunts, and it really blurred the lines, pretty fun.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
As you might know, it's a found footage / fakumentary about extremes haunts, and what's cool about that, is they visit a lot of real haunts, interview real scare actors, designers, etc. We originally watched it after watching a real doc about haunts, and it really blurred the lines, pretty fun.

I checked it out and it made me realize I should probably step back from the politics for a bit because I kept conflating scenes with what it must be like to attempt to vote in the south.

It’s a good premise but what often takes me out of found footage, especially low budget, is the atmosphere….or maybe lack thereof. Things are often way too clean and I see a lot of decisions being made due to budgetary constraints and genre cliches like shaky chaotic shooting, out of frame violence, and digitally added glitching in post. It’s interesting that the low budget and tech of some 70’s horror movies actually made them seem more real.

Top Bottom
1 2