Horror movies

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Arguably my favorite genre and I feel they are finally starting to get the respect they deserve as well as some quality in diversity. I'll start things off with these remakes coming in 2021. Should be plenty to discuss.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It's a favorite genre of ours too (I think we may have chatted about this at the other place ...)

U

User.45

Arguably my favorite genre and I feel they are finally starting to get the respect they deserve as well as some quality in diversity. I'll start things off with these remakes coming in 2021. Should be plenty to discuss.

Too bad I hate remakes. The good stuff was made in the 80s when the rating system didn't make the genre predictable and the lack of CGI made it a lot more fun.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Too bad I hate remakes. The good stuff was made in the 80s when the rating system didn't make the genre predictable and the lack of CGI made it a lot more fun.

I might chime in later on the all the specific movies on that list, but pretty much anything made in the 70's should be left alone. That was part of the creepiness that I feel can't be reproduced. The Others also doesn't need a remake. It's fine as is. The Changeling is a near perfect class. Salem's Lot could be good.

I thought the remake of Evil Dead was good and only found out recently that Evil Dead 2 was mostly a remake of the original Evil Dead but with a bigger budget. A lot of horror remakes fail because they abandon the essential human story and just fill it with modern gore and jump scares.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The Fly and The Thing remakes are infinitely better than the originals. The Thing is really more like a fresh interpretation of the original source vs. a "remake" of the original movie.

We're also a big fan of the Dawn of the Dead remake, the original is a little more of a hot take on consumerism, but the remake amps up everything else, and has a spectacularly dark ending.

U

User.45

The Fly and The Thing remakes are infinitely better than the originals. The Thing is really more like a fresh interpretation of the original source vs. a "remake" of the original movie.

We're also a big fan of the Dawn of the Dead remake, the original is a little more of a hot take on consumerism, but the remake amps up everything else, and has a spectacularly dark ending.
Are you talking about the first or the second remake of the Thing?:D Yup.. the one from the 80s was already a remake. I liked the newest remake though.

Agree on DoD, I liked both a lot. I still prefer the original.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Horror used to be my favorite movie genre. But for decades now it’s been cheap slasher thrillers. You know exactly what’s going to happen, and everything is done for shock value. I haven’t been scared at a movie since the original Halloween.

I will not see any of the movies based on a King book. As I said in another thread just recently, there is no way you can pack a King novel into a two hour movie.

That being said, there are a couple that sound like they might be pretty good.

U

User.45

Horror used to be my favorite movie genre. But for decades now it’s been cheap slasher thrillers. You know exactly what’s going to happen, and everything is done for shock value. I haven’t been scared at a movie since the original Halloween.

I will not see any of the movies based on a King book. As I said in another thread just recently, there is no way you can pack a King novel into a two hour movie.

That being said, there are a couple that sound like they might be pretty good.
The best horrors I've seen the past 15 years were not really horrors. But Lars von Trier's Antichrist was something I've had nightmares from for a good week. Then Melancholia captured irrational social fears like nothing else. The House That Jack Built was a similar mind fuck. Trier has this weird fascination with nazis, and the House That Jack built was about him gazing into the abyss. I liked it, these movies are pure antitheses of American optimism.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Are you talking about the first or the second remake of the Thing?:D Yup.. the one from the 80s was already a remake. I liked the newest remake though.

Agree on DoD, I liked both a lot. I still prefer the original.

There's is only one remake, the 80s Carpenter/Russell film, I know nothing of anything later, just like these "Star Wars prequels" I keep hearing about, there's only 3 movies ...

o_O

I think the scariest sub-genre for me is like low key supernatural/haunting, you know, where something invades your home/life, people won't believe you - I also like when there's a deeper spin on that material, even the "is this real or not".

From the past decade or two, one of our all time favorites is The Babadook. It's scary, beautifully acted, filmed and written, creepy, really sticks with you.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Pretty stoked about the Candyman remake/re-sequel[?], the original is good, Tony Todd is amazing, I love the whole urban myth angle. Of course, Jordan Peele has been killing it in this genre, and making some amazing commentary on race, wealth, so him being attached gives me a lot of hope too.

U

User.45

There's is only one remake, the 80s Carpenter/Russell film, I know nothing of anything later, just like these "Star Wars prequels" I keep hearing about, there's only 3 movies ...

o_O

I think the scariest sub-genre for me is like low key supernatural/haunting, you know, where something invades your home/life, people won't believe you - I also like when there's a deeper spin on that material, even the "is this real or not".

From the past decade or two, one of our all time favorites is The Babadook. It's scary, beautifully acted, filmed and written, creepy, really sticks with you.
Oh there's a 2019 Thing:D Wasn't bad, but nothing earth shattering.

Imagine this for 2 hours:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Pretty stoked about the Candyman remake/re-sequel[?], the original is good, Tony Todd is amazing, I love the whole urban myth angle. Of course, Jordan Peele has been killing it in this genre, and making some amazing commentary on race, wealth, so him being attached gives me a lot of hope too.
That does look good. The original was kinda silly. I think the spin they’re putting on the new one should make it compelling.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The original was kinda silly.

1608563573399.png

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh there's a 2019 Thing:D Wasn't bad, but nothing earth shattering.

Imagine this for 2 hours:

Yeah, hahaha, Antichrist is quite an experience, though I guess that applies to most von Trier work. :D Antichrist makes a nice fun filled family christmas double feature with Melancholia.

Last edited:
U

User.45

Yeah, hahaha, Antichrist is quite an experience, though I guess that applies to most von Trier work. :D Antichrist makes a nice fun filled family christmas double feature with Melancholia.
Before the kids Xmas break equaled equals catching up on our annual Trier deficit. Now that I think about it, that's exactly what we did last Xmas too. Though the Nymphomaniac was lack luster and profoundly racist. But I forgive Lars. His hate towards humanity is quite evenly distributed.
I was expecting a raptor to jump out of the foliage talons first. :)
No jumpers in these movies. But that he really figured it out that. if you slow down the images 1.5x with a little back and forth jitter, it really gets into your subconscious. He also used 1000x slowing of sound many places, which is also a remarkable thing. If you like Tool for example the track Parabol is actually the singers cat farting on 10,000th speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User.45

von Trier, so the raptor would've been dressed like Jesus and having some existential crisis ...
The otherwise loving raptor would have decided to flip you out and leave his family so he can fuck the neighbor raptor until doomsday that is coming in a week.

U

User.45

von Trier, so the raptor would've been dressed like Jesus and having some existential crisis ...
The best one to date was The Boss of it All. It was such a fuck you to everyone, the whole thing was so malignantly hilarious...one of the very very few "intellectual humor" kind of movies that I physically cried laughing while watching.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Watched The Dark and Wicked yesterday. Pretty good medium burn movie about an evil presence in an isolated farmhouse with a dying parent. Pretty creepy and I found the adult kids' reaction to what was going on realistic. Most of the time in supernatural movies people just react to the activity like it's little more than an odd nuisance that should just be ignored unless forced not to.

Top Bottom
1 2