How can there not be a COVID-19 thread?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
All I would like to know is why you and so many others are invested in it being from the market and not the lab. What's in it for you?

Because it removes it from the conspiracy angle which then funnels back into the extended universe of Qanon crazy and has dangerous consequences.

i.e., if it's naturally occuring, we address it at a species, we follow science based protocols, use the mechanisms at our disposal - like vaccines - to combat it like any other viral outbreak - we make sense of this as a collective.

If it was made in a lab, then that means people are involved, which means there's governments also involved, and governments equal partisanship, taking a side, Us vs. Them, Trump!, a separation of science and anti-science, it becomes The Stand, there's dark, evil, supernatural forces, Satan, some disguised as leading infectious disease doctors.

i.e., Lab == Insane Clusterfuck, not too far off from what we have now because that was an idea floated to the loonies.

U

User.45

Because it removes it from the conspiracy angle which then funnels back into the extended universe of Qanon crazy and has dangerous consequences.

i.e., if it's naturally occuring, we address it at a species, we follow science based protocols, use the mechanisms at our disposal - like vaccines - to combat it like any other viral outbreak - we make sense of this as a collective.

If it was made in a lab, then that means people are involved, which means there's governments also involved, and governments equal partisanship, taking a side, Us vs. Them, a separation of science and anti-science, it becomes The Stand, there's dark, evil, supernatural forces, Satan, some disguised as leading infectious disease doctors.

i.e., Lab == Insane Clusterfuck, not too far off from what we have now because that was an idea floated to the loonies.
I'm pretty sure that was a rhetorical question. At least I hope, because he could have asked, why humans do science if it wasn't.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
All I would like to know is why you and so many others are invested in it being from the market and not the lab. What's in it for you?
I’m “invested in” it being studied and figuring out the truth. Rand Paul and others on the right started from a point of “it’s a Chinese bio-weapon until you prove otherwise.” They ignored studies such as the one I linked to. You see, if it’s naturally occurring, then Rand’s “gain of function” BS is exposed as the pure nonsense we kind of already knew it was.

In addition, the labeling of the virus as a Chinese attack precipitated a wave of anti-Asian violence in America. That had and still has terrible consequences for those hurt by it.

So far, all the evidence points to a naturally occurring virus that we cannot blame anybody but “Mother Nature” for creating. There goes “blame China” as an excuse.

That leaves you with the following realization. The fact that America has far more deaths from the disease than any other country cannot be blamed on anybody but ourselves and our leaders.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

Personally speaking, I'm invested in nothing except the truth. We can't prepare for future pandemics and learn from this one if we can't even determine how it came to be in the first place. I'm rooting for the saner of the two options, but it's more important to know the truth, regardless of where it leads.

U

User.45

Personally speaking, I'm invested in nothing except the truth. We can't prepare for future pandemics and learn from this one if we can't even determine how it came to be in the first place. I'm rooting for the saner of the two options, but it's more important to know the truth, regardless of where it leads.
"understanding the circumstances that lead to pandemics is critical to their prevention." Direct quote from one of the 2 preprints.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
Again, this is what ruins Republicans credibility. They are willing to treat unsubstantiated hypotheses as facts and build attacks purely on these, but insist on higher levels of evidence for theories that one by now can consider facts.

So much time and so little corroborative evidence for the lab leak.
Well ya know? Since most of them are hard-core Christians, they are used to "treat(ing) unsubstantiated hypotheses as facts and build(ing) attacks purely on these, but insist(ing) on higher levels of evidence for theories that one by now can consider facts."
Par for the course, I'd say.
🤣

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I am worried that could be the case again. However, the vaccination rate + the infected rate is a pretty high number, so it’s possible we’ve seen our last big surge already.
Fingers crossed that we've seen our last major variant, if they get Omicron dialed in and included with the flu shot that would be great.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
Last month a friend of mine's husband tested positive after double vaccinations plus Booster.
She didn't — same vaccinations, same booster shot… breathing pretty much the same air.

Weird how it strikes some and others not.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Last month a friend of mine's husband tested positive after double vaccinations plus Booster.
She didn't — same vaccinations, same booster shot… breathing pretty much the same air.

Weird how it strikes some and others not.

I spent a week in the same room as someone who tested positive. Two others who were positive were just across the hall from my office where I spend my days. I never tested positive.

One of the sick people had 2 shots (and was sick for about 6 weeks). The rest of us have had all three and the sick ones were only sick for a week with mild cold symptoms.

I'm still in shock that I tested negative.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
NFL suspending COVID protocols.

Now maybe the interest in Rodgers will increase.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
NFL suspending COVID protocols.

Now maybe the interest in Rodgers will increase.
He made it political, same with Kaepernick, regardless of what side one is on once you do that it's hard to recover. At least Rodgers is at a good retirement age.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
He made it political, same with Kaepernick, regardless of what side one is on once you do that it's hard to recover. At least Rodgers is at a good retirement age.
I promise you Rodgers will NOT be blacklisted by the NFL. The Packers are already bending over backwards to please him by hiring a coach that he likes. The NFL was a begrudging participant in COVID-19 mitigation measures from the start. Of course, even with all the loopholes given to the players, and constantly shortening timeframes for quarantine if somebody tested positive, some players STILL couldn’t do even the tiniest bit to be team players when it came to COVID-19.

Comparing Rodgers to Kaepernick is absurd. Kaepernick was making a social justice statement, not about himself, but about police brutality against black people in America. Rodgers was just being completely selfish, only interested in himself not wanting the vaccine, and whining when he was punished for disobeying the rules. Whether you agree or disagree with either of them, you cannot claim Rodgers was making a stand for others.

As for the NFL COVID announcement, it seems to be political, since there won’t be any games or even training camp for months. There’s no reason to make that decision now. It should be made closer to the start of training camp.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I promise you Rodgers will NOT be blacklisted by the NFL. The Packers are already bending over backwards to please him by hiring a coach that he likes. The NFL was a begrudging participant in COVID-19 mitigation measures from the start. Of course, even with all the loopholes given to the players, and constantly shortening timeframes for quarantine if somebody tested positive, some players STILL couldn’t do even the tiniest bit to be team players when it came to COVID-19.

Comparing Rodgers to Kaepernick is absurd. Kaepernick was making a social justice statement, not about himself, but about police brutality against black people in America. Rodgers was just being completely selfish, only interested in himself not wanting the vaccine, and whining when he was punished for disobeying the rules. Whether you agree or disagree with either of them, you cannot claim Rodgers was making a stand for others.

As for the NFL COVID announcement, it seems to be political, since there won’t be any games or even training camp for months. There’s no reason to make that decision now. It should be made closer to the start of training camp.
I'm not arguing the injustices Kaepernick is fighting for, just stating that it's a political stance no matter how you look at it. I don't disagree that Rodgers will not face the same challenges though.

Top Bottom
1 2