If Music Be The Food Of Love, Play On: The Music Thread: What Are You Listening To?

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
The actual quote is from the Bard, William Shakespeare, (from the play, Twelfth Night) but was often given voice to by my father (who loved music and poetry, both) when, amply armed with a glass of whisky or wine, and listening to music late in the evening, he would respond to the question "what are you listening to?, with "If music be the food of love, play on" and would then proceed to discuss the actual piece of music that he was listening to.

So, with that in mind, I think that a thread about music would be a welcome addition to this section of the forum.

A few from Albinoni (have I ever mentioned that I love Baroque music? - I may have) to start:

Albinoni: Oboe Concerto in D Minor - Op9/2. Adagio

Albinoni: Adagio in G Minor.

And the wonderful album: Jordi Savell: Hespèrion XXI, La Capella Reial De Catalunya, Tembembe Ensamble Continuo - Bailar Cantando (Fiesta Mestizia En El Peru)_Codex Trujillo_Ca. 1780.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I am glad to see the appreciation for Baroque music. I perform it quite often (less often during COVID of course).

I also really enjoy earlier music too. I was recently working on a mass by Pierre de la Rue - the group “‘The Sound and the Fury” have an album of his masses (available on Apple Music)

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I am glad to see the appreciation for Baroque music. I perform it quite often (less often during COVID of course).

I also really enjoy earlier music too. I was recently working on a mass by Pierre de la Rue - the group “‘The Sound and the Fury” have an album of his masses (available on Apple Music)

I love Baroque music.

Currently listening to Laetatus Sum, by Monteverdi.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
For @yaxomoxay & @Alli: Vivaldi's Winter - from the Four Seasons, a piece I quite like, and which is not terribly well known.

Nevertheless, yes, even I will readily concede that "Spring" has suffered from over-exposure, something my father used to remark on, as well, whenever the opening bars of "Spring" would be heard from the radio. He preferred "Summer".

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
For @yaxomoxay & @Alli: Vivaldi's Winter - from the Four Seasons, a piece I quite lie, and which is not terribly well known.

Nevertheless, yes, even I will readily concede that "Spring" has suffered from over-exposure, something my father used to remark on, as well, as the opening bars of "Spring" would be heard from the radio. He preferred "Summer".

The For Seasons is one of his few unique pieces. I fell compelled to confess here that I got into college because of Vivaldi's Concerto in Am. I've played most of his work. He was like the baroque equivalent of the Beach Boys. Happy music. But all their songs are the same.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
The For Seasons is one of his few unique pieces. I fell compelled to confess here that I got into college because of Vivaldi's Concerto in Am. I've played most of his work. He was like the baroque equivalent of the Beach Boys. Happy music. But all their songs are the same.

Brilliant.

The Baroque equivalent of the Beach Boys?

Love it, and there is just enough truth in that observation for it to sting.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Today I've been listening to an Apple Radio station I started from a Dean Martin song, the actual song is inconsequential. This is probably my favorite genre for background music. I also have an album of over 200 songs from the 30's. I find the overall sound calming. I think it tells my brain "simpler times".

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Today I've been listening to an Apple Radio station I started from a Dean Martin song, the actual song is inconsequential. This is probably my favorite genre for background music. I also have an album of over 200 songs from the 30's. I find the overall sound calming. I think it tells my brain "simpler times".

Check The Caretaker on YouTube. He takes 1930’s jazzy songs and make them more background-ish.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Can you save my heavy dirty soul?

It’s very heavy and incredibly dirty

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Every once in a while you come across something that makes you go ":oops: More of that please." and then you are left with emptiness because there isn't much or any more of that available.

Top Bottom
1 2