Intel proposes x86S, a 64-bit only architecture

Aaronage

Power User
Reaction score
Would love to know your opinions on this proposal šŸ˜Š
Proposed benefits from the article:
Benefits of x64-bit only architecture according to Intel:
  • Using the simplified segmentation model of 64-bit for segmentation support for 32-bit applications, matching what modern operating systems already use.
  • Removing ring 1 and 2 (which are unused by modern software) and obsolete segmentation features like gates.
  • Removing 16-bit addressing support.
  • Eliminating support for ring 3 I/O port accesses.
  • Eliminating string port I/O, which supported an obsolete CPU-driven I/O model.
  • Limiting local interrupt controller (APIC) use to X2APIC and remove legacy 8259 support.
  • Removing some unused operating system mode bits.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Donā€™t care too much what intel does these days.

Yes overdue, but I think most of the talent left and itā€™s going to be a shit show that nobody will want.
I think we've found @Cmaier's doppelgƤnger.

Spider-Man-Meme-Pointing-Featured.jpg

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting

So less meaningful than at least I supposed?

@Cmaier whatā€™s the privileged 32-bit ISA?
I assume heā€™s referring to instructions that are only allowed to run with CPL = 0. Things like HALT or MOV when used with control registers.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I assume heā€™s referring to instructions that are only allowed to run with CPL = 0. Things like HALT or MOV when used with control registers.
So not all 32-bit instructions are getting removed? I remember you saying it was more complicated than ARMā€™s transition given the relationship between the two, 32 and 64-bit for x64.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
So not all 32-bit instructions are getting removed? I remember you saying it was more complicated than ARMā€™s transition given the relationship between the two, 32 and 64-bit for x64.
well, i mean, i donā€™t even know if intel actually intends to build such a thing. I thought it was just a research paper.

In the end, there are lots of useful 32-bit instructions - you seldom need the precision of 64-bit data, and even less seldom need a 64-bit address space, so if they ever did pull out 32-bit instructions it would be the ones that cause the most problems by complicating the design, Iā€™d imagine.

throAU

Site Champ
Reaction score
I guess by "32 bit removed" they mean the machine boots up in 64 bit mode (long mode? its been a while) rather than 8/16 bit DOS/real mode, but as per above the 32 bit instructions would still exist - you'd need to have at least some of them (e.g., the instructions to move, increment, decrement, IO, etc.) as sometimes you need to work with quantities of data smaller than 32 bits for poking at IO peripherals, etc.

Never mind, as above if you don't need 64 bit quantities of data you can save both space (and possibly processing time) with smaller units.

unless intel intend on breaking most PC peripherals by doing this.

maybe... intel be doing intel things... they did some "no 16 bit mode" processor before to try and flood the embedded market with fire-sale price 386 era (from memory) chips deliberately crippled to not be usable in PCs due to lack of 16 bit mode.

Top Bottom
1 2