iOS 16.4 will let web apps on your homescreen send push notifications

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Looking forward to this as it's always hindered push notifications for sites like this on mobile devices, it currently works with Android but not iOS because Apple has been slow to implement it.

Apple’s new iOS and iPadOS 16.4 betas will let Safari web apps on your homescreen send you push notifications, according to a new post on the WebKit blog.
As far back as the first iPhone, you’ve been able to add a shortcut to websites to your homescreen represented as app-like icons, but the web apps haven’t been able to send you notifications or show notification badges. With iOS and iPadOS 16.4, however, that will change.

Here’s how the push notifications will work, according to the blog post by Brady Eidson and Jen Simmons — though it sounds a lot like how they work with native apps already:
A web app that has been added to the Home Screen can request permission to receive push notifications as long as that request is in response to direct user interaction — such as tapping on a ‘subscribe’ button provided by the web app. iOS or iPadOS will prompt the user to give the web app permission to send notifications. The user can then manage those permissions per web app in Notifications Settings — just like any other app on iPhone and iPad.

The notifications from web apps work exactly like notifications from other apps. They show on the Lock Screen, in Notification Center, and on a paired Apple Watch.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
OT, but I would really like for i(Pad)OS to be built to stop helping me.

I just d/led an app and had to jump through hoops to put it where I wanted it. Why the hell do app icons have to move around while you are trying to do stuff? I never have problems like this on my Mac. It cannot be that hard.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
OT, but I would really like for i(Pad)OS to be built to stop helping me.

I just d/led an app and had to jump through hoops to put it where I wanted it. Why the hell do app icons have to move around while you are trying to do stuff? I never have problems like this on my Mac. It cannot be that hard.

This is one place where Android blows iOS out of the water. It can't be hard to implement, but simply Apple thinking their way is best.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
This is one place where Android blows iOS out of the water. It can't be hard to implement, but simply Apple thinking their way is best.
Apple takes privacy and security way more seriously than Android so I can appreciate that. However, this specific technology has been tested and successfully implemented for years so there's really no excuse to have waited this long.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
16.4 is out and it sounds like it's allowing push notifications through Safari now, the makers of this board are working on getting it added then the site will be like a real iOS app.

Top Bottom
1 2