Judge Throws Out Federal Mask Mandate for Public Transportation

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Because timing is everything of course...

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
According to legal experts quoted below, appeals court decisions have more weight than the decision of a single judge when it comes to precedent.

More info in the full article:

Appeals courts are only dispositive in the circuit that issued the opinion. District court opinions are only dispositive in that district. That is true. So in 99% of the country, the current ruling has the same dispositive effect, which is that it is persuasive but not dispositive.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
They are officially appealing the ruling now.

They say the DoJ sought the advice of the CDC before proceeding.

I can see this two ways.

1. Most legal experts believe this ruling is poorly reasoned and would be quickly overturned. So this seems like a good idea.
2. The current Supreme Court is stacked with conservatives who have previously disregarded public health in favor of partisan ideology.

I hope #1 comes to pass; the ruling seems quite bad, and hopefully cooler heads will prevail and toss it out.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The Biden Administration does not have a good record in court. They have been smacked down several times for exceeding their authority, including once by SCOTUS 9-0. No partisan ideology there for sure.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The Biden Administration does not have a good record in court. They have been smacked down several times for exceeding their authority, including once by SCOTUS 9-0. No partisan ideology there for sure.
I would argue that an appointed partisan hack with no medical background taking away the authority of trained professionals at the CDC is a travesty of justice. Still, the original ruling was legal, as is an appeal. IMO the Biden administration was right to get the buy off from the CDC before making the call.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
It’s not a game. But many people seem to think it’s a sport… including some judges. You can see why the DoJ is reluctant to appeal even a ruling as nonsensical as this one.

When one tosses out nonsense like this, implying it’s some kind of contest, and ignores the law completely, they are part of the problem. Trump appealed to people that wanted judges who would “smack down” the liberals, regardless of the law.

With Ms. Mizelle, it looks like “mission accomplished” to me.

In the current environment, it is democracy that is being “smacked down” by extremist judges.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Thought I would share this from my buddy as he was leaving town yesterday.

Greenshot 2022-04-21 06.12.11.png

D

Deleted member 215

Interesting that a bunch of Bay Area transit authorities dropped their mask mandates today. Guess they were really itching for the federal mandate to be dropped.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Interesting that a bunch of Bay Area transit authorities dropped their mask mandates today. Guess they were really itching for the federal mandate to be dropped.
It's hard not to understand their elation but it feels like we've all been given a false sense of hope by figures of authority when in reality it's really just a partisan Donald Trump appointee who made the call.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
It's hard not to understand their elation but it feels like we've all been given a false sense of hope by figures of authority when in reality it's really just a partisan Donald Trump appointee who made the call.
Thank you. It would have really meant something if the change was based on scientific data and an explanation was given. Instead, an inexperienced lawyer played games, trying to redefine the word “sanitation“ in an opinion that is worse than many undergraduate term papers.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Thank you. It would have really meant something if the change was based on scientific data and an explanation was given. Instead, an inexperienced lawyer played games, trying to redefine the word “sanitation“ in an opinion that is worse than many undergraduate term papers.
I figure you will disagree, but judges should not be considering scientific data or any other health related issues. Was the mandate legal? Yes or No!

How do you feel about the Trump appointee who just blocked Kentucky's abortion law? Not all judges are political hacks or rule in partisan ways.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I figure you will disagree, but judges should not be considering scientific data or any other health related issues. Was the mandate legal? Yes or No!
The mandate is legal. Every other judge upheld it for the last 2 years. This judge is an extreme outlier. I posted a link to multiple legal experts pointing out her flawed ruling. If you have a counterargument from lawyers or legal experts, I’d like to read it. Otherwise, let’s go with: the CDC’s mandate is clearly within its authority.

How do you feel about the Trump appointee who just blocked Kentucky's abortion law? Not all judges are political hacks or rule in partisan ways.
Roe v Wade is still the law of the land, as it has been for almost 50 years. And I agree that not all judges are political hacks. But the judge in the mask mandate case IS. There’s been copious amounts of evidence to that effect in this thread, and I haven’t seen any to the contrary.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The mandate is legal. Every other judge upheld it for the last 2 years. This judge is an extreme outlier. I posted a link to multiple legal experts pointing out her flawed ruling. If you have a counterargument from lawyers or legal experts, I’d like to read it. Otherwise, let’s go with: the CDC’s mandate is clearly within its authority.

It may be. But that is still a legal, and not medical question. So blaming the judge for ignoring the medical aspects misses the point.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
It may be. But that is still a legal, and not medical question. So blaming the judge for ignoring the medical aspects misses the point.
If you read my takedown(s) of the judge, the arguments are not about the her medical training or lack thereof.

Congress created an agency to be staffed by medical experts. This agency is meant to protect public health. Instead of allowing the agency to do its job, a single unqualified judge decided to throw away all precedent and block the agency’s mask mandate. Such blatant judicial activism is harmful, and renders Congress and the CDC impotent. The sooner this terrible ruling gets overturned, the better.

My response to @AG_PhamD said the same thing. This is not about whether he (or I) think mask mandates should be extended or ended. It’s about allowing the experts at the CDC to do their job: protecting America’s public health. Otherwise, why are we spending tax money on the CDC at all?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Otherwise, why are we spending tax money on the CDC at all?

Exactly. Medical experts are charlatans, we should take that money and fund the purchase of rocket launchers and attack helicopters for the police.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
If you read my takedown(s) of the judge, the arguments are not about the her medical training or lack thereof.

Congress created an agency to be staffed by medical experts. This agency is meant to protect public health. Instead of allowing the agency to do its job, a single unqualified judge decided to throw away all precedent and block the agency’s mask mandate. Such blatant judicial activism is harmful, and renders Congress and the CDC impotent. The sooner this terrible ruling gets overturned, the better.

My response to @AG_PhamD said the same thing. This is not about whether he (or I) think mask mandates should be extended or ended. It’s about allowing the experts at the CDC to do their job: protecting America’s public health. Otherwise, why are we spending tax money on the CDC at all?

So the CDC should be able to do what they want, when they want, even if it runs counter to the law simply because of their stated purpose?

Top Bottom
1 2