Just fell asleep with the new apple stuff

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
our phones are 11 pros but the new ones look nothing spectacular. yes a better camera but that seems about it and more battery life. I have a apple 6 watch but all I see for the enw one is it will finally detect cycling. well duhh I gave up on apple doing that and do far better ways to do that. Plus I have found recording my rides with my watch eats up too much battery. now for my bind wife it would be easier for her to record rides but thats about it. unless the fitness apps pauses your ride when you stop it will be pretty much useless as it has been.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the emulated MR experience.
we used to buy our phones on the payment plan so upgrading was a no brainier. but after fighting with ATT over lost returned phones and getting into yelling matches with them. we finally said no more. plus we are on comcast so they don't do that anyway. so spending a grad out of pocket for each is a lot more. but the whole finally auto record cycling after how many years?

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I have no plans to update my watch (Series 4). Or my iPhone (12 Pro Max). But I had to miss the presentation this morning. Got to see the iPads and Watch, but missed the phones. I intend to hold on to this one till next year. But once I dig in and see what's new, that could change. In particular, I want to see what's new in the cameras. That's what usually pushes me over the edge on a new one. On the other hand, I've only ever turned in 1 phone before I was done paying it off.

Let's just say for the next few hours, I have no plans to upgrade. There's a 50/50 chance that will change by this evening.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Let's just say for the next few hours, I have no plans to upgrade. There's a 50/50 chance that will change by this evening.
I love your honesty!

I still love and use my iWatch 4. The iPhone 13 mini upgrade is a no brainer. I have loved my 6 but I am long over due for an upgrade. My OS is no longer supported and more and more apps I regularly use, can't be updated. I even priced out an iPhone 12 mini but for 128gb's, it's only $50 less than the 13 mini so there's no point.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I love your honesty!

I've not seen anything yet to tempt me. But then there will be reviews in a week or so from professional photographers showing just how much more awesome this year's model is compared to last years model. I still get crappy photos in low-light situations unless the circumstances are ideal.

I still love and use my iWatch 4. The iPhone 13 mini upgrade is a no brainer. I have loved my 6 but I am long over due for an upgrade. My OS is no longer supported and more and more apps I regularly use, can't be updated. I even priced out an iPhone 12 mini but for 128gb's, it's only $50 less than the 13 mini so there's no point.

I still have my 6 sitting in a drawer. And since it still works great, I still feel obligated to charge it regularly. At this point I should just sell it back to Apple or something. I'd even take $0. It's long longer of any use for beta testing. I'm just wasting electricity keeping it going at this point. After that, I had an X. That's the only time I've ever upgraded to the latest the following year. I turned it in for the XS Max. That one is also still sitting in my drawer with a MUCH crappier battery than the 6. And it has a broken screen. But at least I've been able to run the iOS betas on it. I was going to trade it in on an 11 that year, but broke the screen 3 weeks before I could. So I sucked it up and lived with it for another year until it was paid off. I was too cheap to pay Apple's repair prices. And I don't do AppleCare. In all the years of not paying for AppleCare, I've needed it twice. The other time it would have been nice was many years ago (it might have been an iPhone 4) when my boss pushed me into a swimming pool before I had a chance to set my phone down. Having started with an iPhone 3G and upgrading roughly every other year since, I feel like I'm coming out ahead skipping the AppleCare.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
And I don't do AppleCare. In all the years of not paying for AppleCare, I've needed it twice. The other time it would have been nice was many years ago (it might have been an iPhone 4) when my boss pushed me into a swimming pool before I had a chance to set my phone down. Having started with an iPhone 3G and upgrading roughly every other year since, I feel like I'm coming out ahead skipping the AppleCare.
I have never purchased an iPhone without AppleCare. My 5, which I loved, accidentally took a swim. I was heartbroken when my replacement 6 showed up. I wanted my flat edges back so you can imagine how thrilled I was to see them return on the 12's and remain on the 13's. My AppleCare literally saved me the purchase of a new phone at a time when I needed it most.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
going from the 3 watch to the 6 was a good upgrade the battery made it through the day. but not a lot after that. we have never needed apple care but we never kept our phones either. Now we do so will have to think about it. I down really need better battery life now that I ride so much as the phone does not get as much use. looks like we would get a 500 trade in value.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
we used to buy our phones on the payment plan so upgrading was a no brainier. but after fighting with ATT over lost returned phones and getting into yelling matches with them. we finally said no more. plus we are on comcast so they don't do that anyway. so spending a grad out of pocket for each is a lot more. but the whole finally auto record cycling after how many years?

How is that service? Looking at moving away from Verizon due to network issues. Keep seeing their commercials. Whose network do they use?

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
You could purchase any phone post X and it would be a massive upgrade.
Not necessarily worth the money for everyone, though.

I could easily have upgraded my 8 Plus’s battery and waited for 14, that old fellow is still a decent phone for messaging and web browsing. Heck, even the few mobile games I play work flawlessly. In the end I decided to preorder the 13 Pro Max, and while I’m sure I’ll enjoy plenty of new features and the massive upgrades compared to my present phone I also know that the upgraded camera system is what got me to upgrade now. A better point-and-shoot, that’s it. The rest? Just nice bonuses.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I just saw the Austin Mann review. He usually gets me excited about the new cameras. Not so much this time around. So I guess I'll see you all this time next year.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
You could purchase any phone post X and it would be a massive upgrade.

Yep.

The Cameras are significantly better X vs. Pro 13 (especially low light modes - which are notable better on Wife's 11 Pro vs. my X), the 120Hz should be very slick (based on my experience with other devices offering this), and there are several new iOS 15 features (and a couple of pre-15 functions) that are __not__ available on my X.

It's a pretty substantial upgrade from my perspective (X to 13 Pro).

Top Bottom
1 2