Masks

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Since masks are going to be with us for the foreseeable future, I thought it might be nice to share what we’ve found that works. I keep buying them. I have one arriving in the mail today, and one that I backed on Kickstarter months ago that should be arriving next week. In the meanwhile, my favorite thus far is the GATA mask. Soft silicone outside with a gasket that stays close to your face. It’s comfortable! And on in the inside is a N95 filter that fits behind a plastic insert that keeps it all away from your mouth. They come in a variety of colors and arrived in only a few days. Pink for me and blue for hubby.

What have you found that’s good?

C9C34058-8C3D-4138-AC6A-F6D46A767EC3.jpeg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Since masks are going to be with us for the foreseeable future, I thought it might be nice to share what we’ve found that works. I keep buying them. I have one arriving in the mail today, and one that I backed on Kickstarter months ago that should be arriving next week. In the meanwhile, my favorite thus far is the GATA mask. Soft silicone outside with a gasket that stays close to your face. It’s comfortable! And on in the inside is a N95 filter that fits behind a plastic insert that keeps it all away from your mouth. They come in a variety of colors and arrived in only a few days. Pink for me and blue for hubby.

What have you found that’s good?

View attachment 1028
My wife found some at an outdoor kiosk on her trip to Oregon and bought a few of them, my first time using cloth instead of the regular surgical masks and I like it, well made.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just got the next one. It is the most “Bain” of all the ones I’ve tried. But this one has an actual fan to recirculate the air inside the mask. Again, no fogged up glasses. $50, although I see it’s now at $59. Forgot to mention the price of the pink one - $25. IMune.

image.jpg

Gutwrench

Site Champ
Reaction score
Just got the next one. It is the most “Bain” of all the ones I’ve tried. But this one has an actual fan to recirculate the air inside the mask. Again, no fogged up glasses. $50, although I see it’s now at $59. Forgot to mention the price of the pink one - $25. IMune.

View attachment 1030

LUKE.....psssssssttttt........LUUUUKKKKKEEEEEE..........psssssttttttt....

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

View attachment 1030
Nice! I still have an N95 (from the fires from last season) and it seals tight enough to prevent the fog on my glasses but none of the others do.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It’s too difficult to try and keep track. Give me replaceable filters in a solid, comfortable mask.
I only use it on special occasions, like taking a walk when it's really smoky outside. If I'm going around others I always wear a regular mask because the N95 does not protect others from you, so I stick to the guidelines.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve got medical masks (blue) made of light weight and comfortable material. For the pool at the YMCA, I wear a cloth mask in and out, take it off to swim. :) Both of those cause my glasses to fog up. :(

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve got medical masks (blue) made of light weight and comfortable material. For the pool at the YMCA, I wear a cloth mask in and out, take it off to swim. :) Both of those cause my glasses to fog up. :(
That’s mostly why I started my quest to find a better mask. I think the iMune is more than I need. The GATA is about perfect. My husband seems to like his a lot, too.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
The good old basic blue disposable surgical mask is just fine for me. I wear a fresh one out to run errands or whatever, and when I return home, the mask gets tossed into the trash and that's that. I am not interested in making a fashion statement with my masks, nor am I interested in adding them to the usual load of laundry...... [Translation: I am too darned lazy to fool with washing reusable masks!]

I have a bunch of surgical masks which should last me a while and when I start to run low on them, I'll simply place another order with Amazon if I can't get them at a local store. I do have an N95 mask that I got at the store one day, but haven't tried using it yet. From what I understand, cloth masks, while they may be decorative and coordinated with one's outfits, are not as effective as N95 or surgical masks.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The good old basic blue disposable surgical mask is just fine for me. I wear a fresh one out to run errands or whatever, and when I return home, the mask gets tossed into the trash and that's that. I am not interested in making a fashion statement with my masks, nor am I interested in adding them to the usual load of laundry...... [Translation: I am too darned lazy to fool with washing reusable masks!]

I have a bunch of surgical masks which should last me a while and when I start to run low on them, I'll simply place another order with Amazon if I can't get them at a local store. I do have an N95 mask that I got at the store one day, but haven't tried using it yet. From what I understand, cloth masks, while they may be decorative and coordinated with one's outfits, are not as effective as N95 or surgical masks.
Which is one reason I like the GATA with the N95 filter. I have a box of disposables, but every time I look at it I picture landfills.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Masks are a great preventative measure. But let's remember they aren't the only one. This week they had an infectious disease expert on the radio and he was talking about the "Swiss cheese" of prevention. Each layer of protection is like a slice of Swiss cheese. By itself, it has a few holes, but if you layer a few of them on top of each other, none of the holes overlap and you're protected. Masks, social distancing, washing hands, airing out the room... do as many of them as we can all the time.

Here's a visualization of the spread that I really liked:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Masks are a great preventative measure. But let's remember they aren't the only one. This week they had an infectious disease expert on the radio and he was talking about the "Swiss cheese" of prevention. Each layer of protection is like a slice of Swiss cheese. By itself, it has a few holes, but if you layer a few of them on top of each other, none of the holes overlap and you're protected. Masks, social distancing, washing hands, airing out the room... do as many of them as we can all the time.

Here's a visualization of the spread that I really liked:

I like that analogy.

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
@Alli

i vote for the 1st one. the one in pink for you and blue for yr husband.

@SuperMatt brings up some interesting points.

i remember googling months ago about something i wondered:
if i breath in just one particle of this RNA virus. will i get sick??
i thought: yes probably even one particle because it will replicate.

but really a lot of my questions about this were answered by this article i read just yesterday:

here is a great article about Viral Dose and Viral Load.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
My mom ((76) and 2 of her neighbors already into creativity and sewing have gone all in on making masks. Here's a couple of her Halloween themed masks I have, fully packaged and labeled.

IMG_2839.jpeg

Top Bottom
1 2