MediaTek and Nvidia cooperating on a high-end Arm PC chip

Artemis

Power User
Reaction score

CoWoS part isn’t true, it’s bad translation. It’s most likely an SoC. MediaTek using stock Arm (probably Cortex X5 that is coming) and some of their IP for other blocks, and then obviously Nvidia does the GPU IP.

Goal apparently is to tape out out in Q4 this year on TSMC N3, production in H1/early 2025. Built with efficiency and AI/gaming in mind per the article, cost ~ $300 (read: premium or probably the same price as the very top Snapdragon SKU, but they could bin some of it).

Artemis

Power User
Reaction score
This is different from previous rumors because MediaTek and Nvidia were rumored to do this last year, and then we learned it was just automotive and with chiplet packaging for Nvidia GPUs on MediaTek SoCs, nothing to do with collaborative PC SoCs.

Then we heard Nvidia doing their own SoC on Intel 3 for Windows without anyone else.

But this one suggests Nvidia is collaborating and letting them use GPU IP on the die basically, and that it’s for the PC market. Maybe they’ll do both.

Most dynamic time for laptop PCs arguably ever, honestly.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
AMD also reportedly working on an ARM chip and rumors are that RDNA4 will finally get proper ray tracing to actually be competitive. The article below also talks about RDNA5 but that’s far enough away I don’t pay much attention to rumors that far out:

Artemis

Power User
Reaction score
AMD also reportedly working on an ARM chip and rumors are that RDNA4 will finally get proper ray tracing to actually be competitive. The article below also talks about RDNA5 but that’s far enough away I don’t pay much attention to rumors that far out:

Nice. Overdue. That and general matrix HW in the GPU

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

LOL. They were talking about an Arm chip all the way back around the time i left! I guess they weren’t in a rush.

Artemis

Power User
Reaction score
I really like AMD, they’re much better than Intel at actual engineering when they put their minds to it these days. More efficient about it in particular

But it would be cool if they put more effort into A) designing lower power parts B) their AI stack and gaming upscaling

Probably a lot of this comes from having limited resources, it just takes time coming back from the dead

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I really like AMD, they’re much better than Intel at actual engineering when they put their minds to it these days. More efficient about it in particular

But it would be cool if they put more effort into A) designing lower power parts B) their AI stack and gaming upscaling

Probably a lot of this comes from having limited resources, it just takes time coming back from the dead
Yeah a major problem on the GPU front for AMD is their software stack. Nvidia built a huge lead in software. I mean hardware too, with specialized cores, but the combination is hard to compete against.

KingOfPain

Site Champ
Reaction score
LOL. They were talking about an Arm chip all the way back around the time i left! I guess they weren’t in a rush.

According to Wikipedia the K12 was announced almost exactly 10 years ago, May 2014 for a 2016 or 2017 release:

But AMD are still much better than some book publishers. I have a smallish dictionary for Middle High German. In the back of which is an advertisement for the index for a much larger dictionary for the same language. It only took them roughly over 100 years to release the index...

Top Bottom
1 2