Microsoft is turning Windows 11's Start Menu into an advertisement delivery system

exoticspice1

Site Champ
Reaction score
I'm sure that some day Microsoft will move on from Win32 and x86, and on that day, I'll take a selfie to rejoice.
Well that year could be 2024 when Qualcomm's Custom ARM CPU launches.

Gerard Williams the guy who was the chief designer for Apple from 2010 to 2019 is working at Qualcomm. Sr VP of Engineering at Qualcomm

This man was the lead and worked on A7 to M1 Ultra. From Cyclone to Firestorm. This man knows his stuff and in 2024 the world beyond the walled garden is going to experience his CPUs. Everything will work natively on Windows and Linux in 2024.

This guy WAS the chief architect for the Mac ARM platform. He left and Apple's SoC advancements has slowed down.

Screenshot_20221126-212143.png

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well that year could be 2024 when Qualcomm's Custom ARM CPU launches.

Gerard Williams the guy who was the chief designer for Apple from 2010 to 2019 is working at Qualcomm. Sr VP of Engineering at Qualcomm

This man was the lead and worked on A7 to M1 Ultra. From Cyclone to Firestorm. This man knows his stuff and in 2024 the world beyond the walled garden is going to experience his CPUs. Everything will work natively on Windows and Linux in 2024.

This guy WAS the chief architect for the Mac ARM platform. He left and Apple's SoC advancements has slowed down.

View attachment 19666

a ”chief architect” doesn’t do what you think he does.

exoticspice1

Site Champ
Reaction score
Has it? The M2 seems pretty credible considering a node process upgrade isn’t yet available. How is Apple following the Tick-Tock model different from other players?
I would say so. The SoC comprises both of the CPU, GPU and NPU and various other hardware. The A16 GPU barely received an update, a first for Apple.

Meanwhile, Qualcomm increased the ALUs and improved their GPU a lot more than Apple and even ARMs stock GPU is better than Apple's in every GPU mobile test. I know many would say do phones really need powerful GPUs, well no.

However Apple's GPUs are scaled up from their mobile SoCs and Apple's GPUs are no where no near class leading in performance and so they cannot miss even a year unless they plan to really double down on GPUs next year.

That brings us to CPUs. The P cores under Gerard have received major updates each A series. I hope Apple has diverting all their efforts to the M series otherwise it does look good. Apple has been using the same CPU layout since 2018 for the M series chips/A**X chips. Intel stuck forever to the quad-core layout with barely any IPC improvements for a long time. Obviously I can't speak too soon but I do believe A17 will finally give an answer if Apple has really slowed down.

exoticspice1

Site Champ
Reaction score
a ”chief architect” doesn’t do what you think he does.
Then I wonder how is Qualcomm able to finally work on a custom ARM chip after all the fail attempts they had. It's engineers that built Apple's chips. Apple did not magically wave a wand and make the chip designs appear out of thin air.

If you would follow Gerard LinkedIn you would know the huge part he played in the Mac ARM transition and custom core designs at Apple.

Don't be surprised when Qualcomm has better CPUs in 2024 for laptops and by better I mean better efficiency and performance than Apple's laptop core designs.

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Then I wonder how is Qualcomm able to finally work on a custom ARM chip after all the fail attempts they had. It's engineers that built Apple's chips. Apple did not magically wave a wand and make the chip designs appear out of thin air.

If you would follow Gerard LinkedIn you would know the huge part he played in the Mac ARM transition and custom core designs at Apple.

Don't be surprised when Qualcomm has better CPUs in 2024 for laptops and by better I mean better efficiency and performance than Apple's laptop core designs.
I’ve said it multiple times on here and the other place - the nuvia thing isn’t going to be very great. I correctly predicted they wouldn’t hit the original deadlines, and they didn’t. I correctly predicted they would back off their claims of beating apple. They have.

Between the Arm lawsuit and Apple’s lawsuit against Williams and Manu (who I worked closely with years ago), it will be a miracle if they come out with anything.

As for how apple accomplished what they did, it was the hard work of dozens of people. Folks you never heard of, many of whom worked on DEC Alpha and StrongArm, opteron, the x704, etc.

turbineseaplane

Power User
Reaction score
I have to admit, I took the effort to start over again in Windows 10

I noticed some of the AD stuff in Win 11, but really it was to avoid the TPM requirements for 11.
I could get around it to install Win11, but then new games like FIFA 23 were not working right without secure boot.

(I only use Windows for gaming)

Top Bottom
1 2