Microsoft squiring Activision/Blizzard

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
I've often heard the argument that Apple should just buy a big gaming studio and that would solve all of their woes in that market. Apple is capable of reading the room, and understands that governments are in no mood for big tech mergers, right now. All it takes is one regulatory agency to halt all of those plans.

The UK has decided to block Microsoft's acquisition of Activision.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
I've often heard the argument that Apple should just buy a big gaming studio and that would solve all of their woes in that market.

All they really have to do is compose a good gaming engine that has an interface that is made for painless porting from other platforms. Metal is pretty low level – they need to add utilities that game authors can use to simplify their work.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I've often heard the argument that Apple should just buy a big gaming studio and that would solve all of their woes in that market. Apple is capable of reading the room, and understands that governments are in no mood for big tech mergers, right now. All it takes is one regulatory agency to halt all of those plans.

The UK has decided to block Microsoft's acquisition of Activision.
That’s also supposedly why they turned down an offer to buy ARM too. Apple knew regulators wouldn’t like it. A game studio probably wouldn’t have been so bad for them, but yeah still a lot of scrutiny.

Miguel de Icaza’s thread on MS buying Activision is pretty good:

1682532862783.png

1682532905342.png

A lot of people have pointed out that such massive mergers are hardly ever good for either company too never mind the market.

1682532990373.png

Top Bottom
1 2