Moving from Canon 6D MkII to the Sony a7R III

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yes, Sony has been making the sensors for Nikon for quite a while now -- at least for the DSLRs. I don't know if they are still doing it with the new mirrorless Z series camera bodies or not, which is likely, but, yeah, Sony has had the ability right along to control the way a given sensor manufactured for another camera brand will act and just how good it really is. I wouldn't be surprised if of course Sony saved the best for use only in their sensors for their own camera bodies, which would make sense, wouldn't it?

From what I've seen, the "roadmap" thingy seems to be more pertinent and specific to listing the future appearance of eventual lenses rather than camera bodies, but I really have not been paying that much attention so that could be wrong.

There’s some advantage, sure. But to my knowledge, Sony’s sensor division is currently being run “at arm’s length” from the camera division to avoid problems with other customers, like Nikkon. The sensors Nikkon has been getting, like the one in the D850, were just as good as the ones in the similarly priced Sony cameras. The D850 and the A7R III were pretty comparable in terms of sensor performance.

Question for you Sony A7 users: can the camera save DNGs directly? That would enable some easy manipulation options straight from an iPad for example, without having to use any Adobe stuff like Lightroom etc.

I’ve been shooting Fuji cameras for a decade and like their JPEG output a lot. It helps me to get results without having to post process a ton of raws all the time.

When I was still sing my Nikons and Aperture on the Mac I also enjoyed the NIK effects but I don’t really want to sit in front of a Mac in my free time, the few hours of downtime I rather have my iPad and sit on the couch.

I’ve edited RAW (ARW) via Affinity Photo on my iPad a few times just fine. Surprisingly, even Apple’s Photos app is able to see and import ARW. iOS itself has more capable RAW support than folks might think, as it uses the same RAW engine that macOS does.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I have to read up and understand dual card settings on this thing, I currently have it setup to write RAW to slot 1 and JPG to slot 2. However, this morning I was out and about and when I went to take a shot it told me I couldn't record (even though I was in photo mode) with just one card, even if I moved the second card into the first slot. Fortunately, I had a backup card but I want to work this out so if I had to I can still use a single card in case of emergencies.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I'm not sure how the dual card setup is on the A7R III, but I think it is somewhat different from either the A7R IV or the A1. I think there is something about the card capacities -- can't have the same capacity in both slots? Cards have to be the same type? (UHS I vs UHS II or something?) I never got around to setting up the dual slots in the A7R IV, but when I got the A1 decided it was time to take advantage of having two slots since now I am shooting many more frames than I was in the past thanks to the 20 fps that the A1 allows. I have it set up so that when one card is filled up that the card in the second slot automatically picks up where the first left off, and when there is no card in the second slot I simply get the blinking warning in the EVF that the second slot is empty. Recently I bought a new, larger-capacity card and so I decided to test it on its own in just the one slot, and it worked fine without a card also in the other slot. Eventually, once I ascertained that the new card had no issues and was functioning well, I put a second card back into the second slot and it still all works as expected.

I've never tried doing the RAW in one slot and the JPG in the other slot, but I know a lot of photographers do use this method. The fact that one is using the two different formats (RAW and JPG) for the same images which are being shot might have something to do with this? Not having a card in the second slot may mess up whatever mechanism Sony uses to achieve the process?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Just wanted to follow up now that I've had a chance to use the Sony FE Telephoto Zoom 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS glass on it, my goal was to at least one native lens and slowly change them out over the coming years.

So far I see zero difference between this and the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L II, which has been performing great with the MC-11 adapter, other than the fact the Sony is several hundred dollars more. I'll keep it because it's native but what a disappointment that turned out to be, that lens is too expensive for what it is. I'll be keeping my other high end Canon lenses going forward.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just wanted to follow up now that I've had a chance to use the Sony FE Telephoto Zoom 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS glass on it, my goal was to at least one native lens and slowly change them out over the coming years.

So far I see zero difference between this and the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L II, which has been performing great with the MC-11 adapter, other than the fact the Sony is several hundred dollars more. I'll keep it because it's native but what a disappointment that turned out to be, that lens is too expensive for what it is. I'll be keeping my other high end Canon lenses going forward.

Not too surprising. It’s not known as one of Sony’s best lenses. Really, so far, it’s mostly their GM primes that seem to kick ass.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
I think it is the original version of the 70-200mm which wasn't regarded fondly by many people, and that the new 70-200mm II is supposed to be a significant improvement? Yes, the GM primes are fantastic -- at least the ones I've got are. Eric, that is disappointing that you haven't really noticed much difference between the new lens and your Canon one. It is great that the Canon lenses work so well with the adapter -- so, yes, might as well hang on to your favorite Canon lenses and continue to use those and perhaps as time goes on pick up Sony native lenses which do something different from what you already have.

r.harris1

Site Donor
Reaction score
Plus, unless I’m mistaken, Sony makes the Nikon sensors? How long will that be viable for Nikon - Sony has to benefit from being able to control the sensor roadmap.
Sony Semiconductor makes sensors for Sony Imaging, some Nikon bodies, Fuji, Phase One and others. Nikon has used sensors from Aptina, Tower (I forget who recently bought them) as well. The speculation continues to be that the Z9 might house a Nikon-designed Tower sensor. If it’s a Sony sensor, it would have been designed by Nikon. In the category of “it’s a small world”, Nikon has made at least some of the equipment Sony Semi uses to fab their sensors.

Sensors are obviously very important but the imaging pipeline after the sensor has collected the light is at least as important. BIONZ, Expeed, and others are the chips/firmware where the goodness tends to happen with things like the AF wizardy. It’s where the writing of raw files to disk happens, color science secret sauce and where each manufacturer can distinguish themselves, regardless of the sensor. Even on mobile phone cameras, the “after sensor” processing is the most important part.

Sony Semi controls certain parts of the sensor roadmap, but usually in partnership with their customers. Customers like Nikon will have their own very strong design teams who will play a big part in that roadmap. Bottom line is that other manufacturers aren’t waiting to get the crumbs from Sony :).

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I think it is the original version of the 70-200mm which wasn't regarded fondly by many people, and that the new 70-200mm II is supposed to be a significant improvement? Yes, the GM primes are fantastic -- at least the ones I've got are. Eric, that is disappointing that you haven't really noticed much difference between the new lens and your Canon one. It is great that the Canon lenses work so well with the adapter -- so, yes, might as well hang on to your favorite Canon lenses and continue to use those and perhaps as time goes on pick up Sony native lenses which do something different from what you already have.
Well, I'm hosting another meetup this weekend and am going to use this is my primary lens again for a low light evening shoot. I want to work with it but I did an apples to apples comparison last weekend on some long exposure work and the Sony lens simply could not compare to the Canon on the same body. I'm going to attempt some different settings this time to see if I can compensate but from all of my tests so far it was a mistake to swap this out, it's essentially downgraded.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
i started off shooting canon and while moving to nikon was the right move for me long term, there is something magical about canon l glass

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Good luck! Sometimes tweaking the settings makes a difference. Obviously there are going to be differences in lenses from different brands, and each one will have its own characteristics. Maybe you just haven't hit "the sweet spot" in the new lens yet. It's a shame you're disappointed, though. If you continue to be unhappy with the lens the best thing to do would be to return it or trade it in on something else; no point in keeping the lens if you prefer your Canon one.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Good luck! Sometimes tweaking the settings makes a difference. Obviously there are going to be differences in lenses from different brands, and each one will have its own characteristics. Maybe you just haven't hit "the sweet spot" in the new lens yet. It's a shame you're disappointed, though. If you continue to be unhappy with the lens the best thing to do would be to return it or trade it in on something else; no point in keeping the lens if you prefer your Canon one.
Right, looking to find that sweet spot and on paper the specs of this lens are better than the Canon, I just need to work that out in the field.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
It's been a while now but I remember when I first made the switch from Nikon to Sony that I noticed some subtle differences in the lenses. Of course I was also becoming accustomed to using Sony FF mirrorless as opposed to Nikon DX (APS-C) and FF DSLR, too. For that matter, there are discernible differences even between my two current Sony bodies. Hope things work out well and you find that sweet spot in the new lens!

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Even though my 6D MKII is gone, I still have an older 6D that I keep on hand for wider shots with my existing 16-35 as it's easier to have both cameras rather than switching out lenses all the time, the 70-200 GM basically lives on my Sony body at this point.

I'm pretty much using both equally on many of these shoots and after I import everything into LRC I'm noticing that it's hard to tell which camera took what with actually looking at the file name. Over the last couple of years I've been focused way more on composition and interesting shots that I am the gear I'm using.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Over the last couple of years I've been focused way more on composition and interesting shots that I am the gear I'm using.

IMO, that's where discoveries/advances/achievements/leaps are made. That and a piece of advice another photographer passed on to me: Photographs that are compelling and say something are made, not taken. I know I have a ways to go towards making better photographs.

EDIT: Speaking of making photographs, that might be a good topic for discussion sometime.
Would sure beat that thread I'm involved in at the other place about Apple's success in stopping fraud/privcy breaches/spam/etc in their App Store. What a shit show.

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Pulled the trigger on the Sony FE 35mm F1.8 lens, up until now I've been using my Canon 16-35 F4 but want the extra stops for night/low light photography handheld. I'm still slowly phasing out my Canon gear but still like to use it depending on that shoot, it's also great to have around as a backup.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The Sony 35mm f/1.8 is a terrific lens and I think you will really enjoy it. Congratulations!
Thanks, just came back here to respond on it. While the lens is boxed, they shipped it in their Amazon bag and when I I took it out and immediately noticed a "thunk" sound when I turned it upside down and back, doesn't seem right as they're normally super tight and solid. Then it wouldn't mount (e-mount like my other) and I didn't want to force it and hose up the collar on my camera so I stopped.

So I just issued a return on Amazon and will be sending it back, wondering if this happened during shipping somehow, which I can see it busting up internal elements if it's slammed around but both issues have me concerned with quality control.

Edit:
Looked it up and the thunk is normal, goes away as soon as you mount and power it up. Also, it was really hot when it came in from the truck and I suspect that's why it wouldn't mount. All seems to be working, still not a fan of the thunk sound but seems normal, maybe you can confirm on yours @Clix Pix ?

Last edited:

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Yes, that thunking is alarming the first time one experiences it with a new lens! Several of Sony's lenses do this and and now I'm accustomed to it, but, wow, the first time I had pretty much the same reaction as you did, thinking that uh-oh, somehow this was a damaged, bad lens. Like you, I looked it up and found that it's normal.....however, it is disconcerting, isn't it?! I do think that Amazon's packaging of lenses leaves something to be desired -- much of the time I prefer to order from B&H if my local shop doesn't have a particular lens in stock, especially if it is an expensive lens. When I'm plunking out more than $1000 and certainly when in the $2000 and up range for a lens, I want to be sure that the darned thing arrives safely and well packed. I remember being greatly relieved when my little 35mm worked just fine and there were no issues. One thing I always do is if a camera or a lens arrives fresh off a delivery truck in either very hot or very cold weather, I leave it alone in its original box for a short time after removing it from the outside packaging and give it a chance to acclimate to my home's temperature. If once I've unpacked it from its box it still feels a little warm or a little cold I'll give it a bit more acclimatization time.

Just took my 35mm f/1.8 out of the cabinet and she promptly thunked at me as I handled her and indeed once she was mounted on the camera body and I fired up the camera, she performed as usual..... This was one of the first lenses I bought back in 2020 as I began working with the Sony gear and started filling in gaps as needed. Since two of my first lenses were f/2.8 macros and the other one was somewhat fast, but a mid-tele length, I knew I'd need and want a versatile and reasonably fast 35mm sooner rather than later. She's been fun to shoot and 35mm is such a terrific focal length in many situations. This is a nice little lens to have and even though at some point last year I bought the even faster f/1.4 GM 35mm, I am still keeping the smaller, lighter, f/1.8 as well.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yes, that thunking is alarming the first time one experiences it with a new lens! Several of Sony's lenses do this and and now I'm accustomed to it, but, wow, the first time I had pretty much the same reaction as you did, thinking that uh-oh, somehow this was a damaged, bad lens. Like you, I looked it up and found that it's normal.....however, it is disconcerting, isn't it?! I do think that Amazon's packaging of lenses leaves something to be desired -- much of the time I prefer to order from B&H if my local shop doesn't have a particular lens in stock, especially if it is an expensive lens. When I'm plunking out more than $1000 and certainly when in the $2000 and up range for a lens, I want to be sure that the darned thing arrives safely and well packed. I remember being greatly relieved when my little 35mm worked just fine and there were no issues. One thing I always do is if a camera or a lens arrives fresh off a delivery truck in either very hot or very cold weather, I leave it alone in its original box for a short time after removing it from the outside packaging and give it a chance to acclimate to my home's temperature. If once I've unpacked it from its box it still feels a little warm or a little cold I'll give it a bit more acclimatization time.

Just took my 35mm f/1.8 out of the cabinet and she promptly thunked at me as I handled her and indeed once she was mounted on the camera body and I fired up the camera, she performed as usual..... This was one of the first lenses I bought back in 2020 as I began working with the Sony gear and started filling in gaps as needed. Since two of my first lenses were f/2.8 macros and the other one was somewhat fast, but a mid-tele length, I knew I'd need and want a versatile and reasonably fast 35mm sooner rather than later. She's been fun to shoot and 35mm is such a terrific focal length in many situations. This is a nice little lens to have and even though at some point last year I bought the even faster f/1.4 GM 35mm, I am still keeping the smaller, lighter, f/1.8 as well.
Thank you, all very good info to know. I was really put off by the fact that it wouldn't initially mount but it was really hot from being out in the 100 degree heat and being metal it made sense that it would swell. So far so good with my tests, great little lens, seems a little spendy for what you get but I'm good with it otherwise.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I think you just described my whole experience with the Sony mirrorless ecosystem. Great lenses, a little spendy.

Top Bottom
1 2