Need help with 2nd monitor

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Try it without plugging into a hub....
Can’t do that. The MBA only has 2 USB-C ports. A hub has to be used.
Did you try the steps I listed above? Especially manually selecting a different source (say VGA), then back to HDMI?
We run into this a bit at work where we sell monitors amongst other things.
Yup. Tried that.

I’ve ordered a new hub - we’ll see if that works. It should arrive tomorrow.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Can’t do that. The MBA only has 2 USB-C ports. A hub has to be used.

Just to test the hub can't you use one USB-C/TB for power and one for the display? You know, even if you're using an external drive and whatnot, just to isolate the hub.

Oh, OK, I re-reread that, it sounds like maybe your hub is providing the port you use to connect, so like an HDMI port (just like the little hub right on my desk I use with the iPad). So you don't have a way to connect that display and your machine without additional hardware[?]

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just to test the hub can't you use one USB-C/TB for power and one for the display? You know, even if you're using an external drive and whatnot, just to isolate the hub.

Oh, OK, I re-reread that, it sounds like maybe your hub is providing the port you use to connect, so like an HDMI port (just like the little hub right on my desk I use with the iPad). So you don't have a way to connect that display and your machine without additional hardware[?]
Now you grok.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Ah, I hear you with that problem of having just two USB-C/TB 3 ports and of course one has to power the machine..... I have that issue with the 13" M1 MBP, too. I don't have an external monitor plugged into it, though, as it is a secondary machine anyway and I don't need the larger monitor since I don't process images on it. On occasions when I have needed to do something involving two ports, I've unplugged the machine and run it on battery during whatever I was doing (usually transferring data between two external SSDs).

I hope the new hub will be the answer and that everything will work fine with it!

Top Bottom
1 2