Mac New Game Porting Toolkit is Wine

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
I am personally more interested in seeing what the performance hit turning RT on would be for Mac hardware. The only game I have that requires RT is Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
GPTK 2.0

AVX2 support, ray tracing, etc …

1718056228401.png

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score

In further adventures with MaxTech misunderstanding tech.

EDIT: And courtesy of Pressure at MR for confirmation Ratchett and Clank working on the M1:

EDIT2: and MaxTech has deleted the original post, unclear if he issued a correction since I don't have Twitter to see.

Last edited:

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score

In further adventures with MaxTech misunderstanding tech.

EDIT: And courtesy of Pressure at MR for confirmation Ratchett and Clank working on the M1:

EDIT2: and MaxTech has deleted the original post, unclear if he issued a correction since I don't have Twitter to see.

NIce! I very much look forward to Reddit telling me that gaming on macOS was, is and will always be crap. No matter what happens. It’s 100% game coverage or nothing in between.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
NIce! I very much look forward to Reddit telling me that gaming on macOS was, is and will always be crap. No matter what happens. It’s 100% game coverage or nothing in between.
I don't know if you saw the original Vadim post that spurred my reply above, but oh boy ... it was bad.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
He deleted it. My reply was nothing nasty.
View attachment 29880
Fair enough. You know ... I'm possibly being a bit harsh in the MR thread, but as @leman said he has a big audience and putting stuff like this out there is just ... I suppose it is partially disappointment as he has consistently failed to learn. He clearly wants to talk about this stuff in more depth and it would be good for the Mac community to have a(n english speaking) popular Youtube source who could reliably break down more technical aspects of performance and power and architecture* etc ... I've just given up hope that it'll be him.

But also not correcting is not okay. Can't just delete stuff.

EDIT: *I'm not asking for this mythical popular TerchTuber to be at the level of Dougall or chipsandcheese or Andrei, but just something better. There is Geerkwan, which is fine for some of us, but obviously that's going to have its limits in terms of reach for english speaking audiences.

Last edited:

Jimmyjames

Site Champ
Reaction score
Fair enough. You know ... I'm possibly being a bit harsh in the MR thread, but as @leman said he has a big audience and putting stuff like this out there is just ... I suppose it is partially disappointment as he has consistently failed to learn. He clearly wants to talk about this stuff in more depth and it would be good for the Mac community to have a(n english speaking) popular Youtube source who could reliably break down more technical aspects of performance and power and architecture etc ... I've just given up hope that it'll be him.

But also not correcting is not okay. Can't just delete stuff.
I don’t think you’re being harsh tbh. He is always jumping to conclusions and dismissing those who disagree. He decides to pursue an agenda and runs with it no matter what the truth is. I clearly remember the “M2 is a stop gap” he spread. He wouldn’t listen to anyone who disagreed.

Obviously the “M4 has AVX2“ was too far even for him.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
I don’t think you’re being harsh tbh. He is always jumping to conclusions and dismissing those who disagree. He decides to pursue an agenda and runs with it no matter what the truth is. I clearly remember the “M2 is a stop gap” he spread. He wouldn’t listen to anyone who disagreed.

Obviously the “M4 has AVX2“ was too far even for him.
Funnily enough the M3 turned out to be the stop gap! 🤪

diamond.g

Site Champ
Reaction score
If you are going to emulate/translate may as well do all of it, right?

Aside from anti cheat we are much closer to not needing Windows to game.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
First performance numbers for AVX2 emulation:

I don’t have enough experience to know how reasonable these numbers are, if we should expect improvements, or how much game performance hinges on them.

Top Bottom
1 2