New iPhone action button functions

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Allegedly the iPhone 15 Pro action button (replacing the mute switch) will have nine assignment options: Accessibility, Shortcuts, Silent Mode, Camera, Flashlight, Focus, Magnifier, Translate, and Voice Memos.

Being able to push a button to launch the camera, even if the phone is locked and the screen is off, will be what I most look forward to. Help me void missing some shots.

The accessibility stuff will presumably great for my mother-in-law. She can’t see anymore, so a hard button to launch things will help a lot.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
For me it would come down to the camera or the flashlight. I'd probably pick the flashlight. But might change it depending on conditions (taking lots of photos).

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
For me it would come down to the camera or the flashlight. I'd probably pick the flashlight. But might change it depending on conditions (taking lots of photos).
I've found that accessing the flashlight from the locks screen is the easiest for me, I'm pretty used to it now.

Can't wait for this new iPhone, still rocking my 13 with it's old beat up case and cracked screen protector and am ready for the upgrade.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe tap-and-hold or double-tap will be assignable as separate functions.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Still using an SE2 which has been an excellent phone, performs like new. I want to keep the size and some form of Touch ID. Holding out hope a model like that comes along in the next year.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I've found that accessing the flashlight from the locks screen is the easiest for me, I'm pretty used to it now.

I'm used to it too. And it works great 80-90% of the time. I think a button would come closer 100%. Of course I might find it turning on unintentionally. So it might not be better in practice.

Last edited:

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how this would replace the mute switch. I can see where the current state (on or silent) could be indicated by something on the screen or an audible signal, but that wouldn't let you do it by feel, which I do often.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't understand how this would replace the mute switch. I can see where the current state (on or silent) could be indicated by something on the screen or an audible signal, but that wouldn't let you do it by feel, which I do often.
Yep, if you often switch back and forth, this is likely a backward step (though I imagine you will still get the haptic feedback when you switch to mute, you can’t just feel the button to determine whether you are in mute). I always keep mine on mute, so for me this is great.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I always keep mine on mute...

Same here. I also have calls blocked. Don't try to call me on my pocket computer. That's not what it's for. If you must contact me, send a text. If you call, it's not even going to ring. If you call and leave a voice mail, you're getting a text back (maybe). My mother is the sole exception to the rule, and even then, I only answer about 1/2 her calls. I only loosened the rules with her because she's ancient now and has a hard time texting.

It might be called a "phone", but I do my best to ignore that functionality. It's only a phone because my provider doesn't offer a plan without phone service. If they did, I'd get it in a heartbeat.

One of my favorite sayings is "if I liked people, I wouldn't have chosen to work with computers for a living". 😂

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
One of my favorite sayings is "if I liked people, I wouldn't have chosen to work with computers for a living". 😂

I’m a misanthrope and an introvert. One of the main reasons I switched jobs after designing CPUs for 14 years was that I thought maybe becoming a lawyer would force me to get used to dealing with people. It may have. But I’m still building a tiny Macintosh computer in my spare time to keep myself sane.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Same here. I also have calls blocked. Don't try to call me on my pocket computer. That's not what it's for. If you must contact me, send a text. If you call, it's not even going to ring. If you call and leave a voice mail, you're getting a text back (maybe). My mother is the sole exception to the rule, and even then, I only answer about 1/2 her calls. I only loosened the rules with her because she's ancient now and has a hard time texting.

It might be called a "phone", but I do my best to ignore that functionality. It's only a phone because my provider doesn't offer a plan without phone service. If they did, I'd get it in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, that won’t work for me. I have to rely on audible notifications for calls and texts when my phone is in my pocket. Vibrations are too easy to miss.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Unfortunately, that won’t work for me. I have to rely on audible notifications for calls and texts when my phone is in my pocket. Vibrations are too easy to miss.

Apple Watch works really good for that. Especially when driving and can't fish the phone out of my pocket.

Top Bottom
1 2