New MacBook Pros support USB EPR

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Turns out the new MacBook pros do support the new high power USB spec. In fact, the power brick (140W version) appears to be the first brick out there that supports it.

If you have an EPR cable, you can use that brick to charge at > 100W via the USB-C ports. Problem right now is that no such cables seem to exist yet. (Btw - how many different USB-C cables are we going to have to deal with - that’s maybe a good enough reason for apple to add MagSafe. At least with that cable you know you’ve got a power cable.)

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
That power brick... For $99 I wanna buy it even though I only have a 13' MBP. lol. I will try to resist the urge and save up for a new MBP in a few years. For a GaN charger it's kinda big but I've always had really good results with MBP chargers - I use them to charge everything since almost everything we're charging uses USB C these days.

I had a work provided 15 MBP and I think it came with an 89watt brick. 140w - wow.

Was going to ask, I thought USB C cables were mostly limited to 100w. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...a376999e9ae6bd94485b4d89006cbd1f792c8bdde059f - could have sworn I read a limit somewhere.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
That power brick... For $99 I wanna buy it even though I only have a 13' MBP. lol. I will try to resist the urge and save up for a new MBP in a few years. For a GaN charger it's kinda big but I've always had really good results with MBP chargers - I use them to charge everything since almost everything we're charging uses USB C these days.

I had a work provided 15 MBP and I think it came with an 89watt brick. 140w - wow.

Was going to ask, I thought USB C cables were mostly limited to 100w. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/...a376999e9ae6bd94485b4d89006cbd1f792c8bdde059f - could have sworn I read a limit somewhere.
You’ll need a special cable to use the full power

Top Bottom
1 2