New variant Deltacron

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
JFC :(

Variant that combines Delta and Omicron identified.
March 9 (Reuters) - The following is a summary of some recent studies on COVID-19. They include research that warrants further study to corroborate the findings and that has yet to be certified by peer review.

"Deltacron" with genes of Delta and Omicron found

Hybrid versions of the coronavirus that combine genes from the Delta and Omicron variants - dubbed "Deltacron" - have been identified in at least 17 patients in the United States and Europe, researchers said.

Because there have been so few confirmed cases, it is too soon to know whether Deltacron infections will be very transmissible or cause severe disease, said Philippe Colson of IHU Mediterranee Infection in Marseille, France, lead author of a report posted on Tuesday on medRxiv ahead of peer review. His team described three patients in France infected with a version of SARS-CoV-2 that combines the spike protein from an Omicron variant with the "body" of a Delta variant. Another two unrelated Deltacron infections have been identified in the United States, according to an unpublished report by genetics research company Helix that has been submitted to medRxiv and seen by Reuters. On virus research bulletin boards, other teams have reported an additional 12 Deltacron infections in Europe since January - all with an Omicron spike and a Delta body.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
Ugh… Round 3? 4? I've lost count.

Covid cases and hospital admissions rising in United Kingdom, data suggests

Covid-19 infections are rising in England, figures suggest, with about one in 25 people estimated to have had coronavirus last week – levels last seen in the middle of February.

In Scotland, the figures suggest about one in 18 had Covid in the most recent week, while in Northern Ireland and Wales it was one in 13 and one in 30 respectively, suggesting infection levels are rising in all countries in the UK.
The trend echoes that in Scotland, where infection levels have been rising for weeks. In both countries the number of Covid patients in hospital is also increasing: in Scotland the number of Covid patients reached 1,636 on Thursday, surpassing the high of 1,571 on 19 January during the height of the Omicron wave.

The latest figures from the Office for National Statistics, based on swabs from randomly selected households, reveal that an estimated 2,073,900 people in the community in England had Covid in the week ending 5 March, equating to 3.8% of the population or about one in 25 people. The week before, the figure was about one in 30.

Link

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
This just in: Deltacron is not an actual letter in the Greek alphabet.
It is an anagram, “nerd octal”, or was it “old recant”? Or maybe “CD to learn”?

No, it’s obviously “on red talc”. It can only mean that they are going to murder everyone using the tyranny of the plandemic! It was Agatha, eh, Gates all along!

On a more serious note, it is a nice catchy name for the mentioned combination, even if it isn’t an actual letter in the Greek alphabet, I’ll give them that.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Just go to the trucker's rally. Without a mask. That should show you the way off. It might take a bit longer than you would like, though. Or you might just end up getting digitiled.

Convoy Trucker "I don't want 'em to digitile us!"​

62273fb523ffb787e213a8e9

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Yes, but Nu and Xi were skipped.

Hah, where I used to hang out, "nu" was the YIddish equivalent of the Spanish "pues", i.e. a filler word, to insert a kind of shrugging pause in a conversation before moving on.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
Hah, where I used to hang out, "nu" was the YIddish equivalent of the Spanish "pues", i.e. a filler word, to insert a kind of shrugging pause in a conversation before moving on.

Yes, נו (“nu” or “neww”) comes from Yiddish and exists in modern Hebrew usually meaning “well” as in “well… isn’t that interesting”. I suppose it also can mean “now”, like “now that’s a great story”. But it’s also often used in a way implies who ever is being spoken to needs to hurry up or respond (like Why did you hit your brother on the head? …well?). It can also mean basically “WTF” or sort of an exclamation of sorts. I suppose it can mean a number of things depending on the context and how it’s said. I could be wrong but it seems to be more common in America than Israel amongst Hebrew speakers. Weirdly in formal writing it’s not the word you would use for well in the same contexts as above.

They should have named it the nu variant, as in well, here we go again.

Let’s hope this new variant doesn’t become a problem. I’m so over having to deal with COVID.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
There's new variants all the time. Only 17 recorded cases of Bennifer *ahem* Deltacron thus far...nothing to get excited about.

And, yes, generally speaking it seems that variants are getting less severe as they evolve (the epidemiologists have been echoing that) - so, provided we don't have one "jump the fence" we're going to be fine...and this will eventually become something more trivial like the flu.

Top Bottom
1 2