No more iPods

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone with an iPod (click-wheel models) ever install RockBox? It's an alternate OS, added some different decoders, a totally different, very customizable UI, themes, direct storage access, lots of plugins.

View attachment 13883
Are you listening to that song because it was on Spider-Man 3?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I didn’t install RockBox, but I did install iPod Linux for fun. I didn’t get much benefit so I switched back to the base install.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The iPod came along when I was wanting something better than burned CDs, but didn’t like the anemic storage of the flash-based players, and the Nomad was expensive (and larger than my CD player). I couldn’t afford it right away and held onto my CD player until the 3rd Gen model came along. That thing carried my music everywhere until the iPhone. I wish I remembered what I did with it to be honest.

But it and a used Lombard G3 was what got me through college.
I had that nomad. It was unwieldy,but the biggest problem was it kept losing its music database, and you‘d have to rebuild it. The music would be there, but the database that it used to drive the UI and let you select songs kept getting mangled.

I thought i was so smart buying it instead of the iPod, which had various limitations….

A year or two later i bought an iPod (had to wait for windows compatibility, for one thing), and I was much happier.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The iPod came along when I was wanting something better than burned CDs, but didn’t like the anemic storage of the flash-based players, and the Nomad was expensive (and larger than my CD player). I couldn’t afford it right away and held onto my CD player until the 3rd Gen model came along. That thing carried my music everywhere until the iPhone. I wish I remembered what I did with it to be honest.

Same here. Also...what enormously helped iPod adoption was Apple rolling out iTunes where music from a relatively large library of music could be purchased for 99 cents (IIRC) a song.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Are you listening to that song because it was on Spider-Man 3?

Oh, hahaha, that was a Google image, but I think I have a couple after an install, I'll post them if I find anything.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I looked it up on Best Buy yesterday and they were in stock. Now they're sold out!

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
I wanted to turn my 5.5G iPod on for some nostalgia vibes, but apparently I no longer own any 30-pin cables. Time flies...

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I wanted to turn my 5.5G iPod on for some nostalgia vibes, but apparently I no longer own any 30-pin cables. Time flies...

Amazon makes one (under their Basics line) for less than $7 :D

I wound up with a few: an original from my iPod, an extra (Monoprice I think), and some kind of AV 30-pin adapter that came with a Yamaha AVR.

You motivated me to charge mine, check out what's on it. :D

IMG_1297_1920.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2