No more iPods

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I literally brought one Sunday for my mother.

The choices of color & storage was spotty at my two local Apple stores. What's weird, I looked into buying one from Best Buy with CC, but Best Buy actually jacks up the price by $30.

They charge $229.99 for Black & Pink, $199.99 for the rest. I paid $189 for the Blue.

I ended up buying mine from Amazon who sold the Blue version for $10 cheaper and next morning delivery. All the others were not in stock or being delivered within a week, etc.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This was my first. If I can find the old style charging cable I might give it a whirl (assuming the battery will still take a charge - doubtful). Curious as to what I was listening to back then. Kate Smith's Greatest Hits, maybe? :)

iPod.jpg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I literally brought one Sunday for my mother.

The choices of color & storage was spotty at my two local Apple stores. What's weird, I looked into buying one from Best Buy with CC, but Best Buy actually jacks up the price by $30.

They charge $229.99 for Black & Pink, $199.99 for the rest. I paid $189 for the Blue.

I ended up buying mine from Amazon who sold the Blue version for $10 cheaper and next morning delivery. All the others were not in stock or being delivered within a week, etc.

I always thought the iPod Touch was a fantastic device. So many people don't need cellular connectivity, but still want all the communication options on iOS (messages, FT, even things like FB Messenger), plus all the other great things on iOS, games, news, social media, photos, etc.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I feel like this belongs on a "Celebrities you didn't know are still alive" list.

I thought we were already on iPod: What your previous iPhone is now.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
The iPod was my favourite (ever) Apple device, (okay, my 11" MBA runs it a close second), and my introduction to the world of Apple.

I love the iPod and am really sorry to see that it has been discontinued.

Seamless connectivity isn't everything.

Last edited:

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Wow. It sounds so strange to say that Apple no longer sells any iPods. Truly the end of an era.

The iPod Classic should have been the last to go though.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I remember my first iPod. Well it wasn't mine, but a 2nd Gen Nano we bought for the offspring's 7th birthday.

What amazed me was she took it out of the box and was listening to it with absolutely no instruction. It was just that intuitive.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I didn't discover the joys of an iPod until after I had bought my first Mac in 2005 and after a month or so, finally got around to exploring iTunes. I had not had much luck with iTunes on my Windows machines in the past, so was really surprised when I finally was able to do something with it and it actually worked smoothly in the way it was supposed to. Once I got that figured out and had added some music to my new iTunes Library, then the penny dropped and I thought, "AHHHH!!! Time for me to get an iPod!" I did so and still have it in a drawer somewhere.

Of course once I got my first iPhone in 2007 I gradually stopped using the iPod since I had all my music now on my new iPhone, too....

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I didn't discover the joys of an iPod until after I had bought my first Mac in 2005 and after a month or so, finally got around to exploring iTunes. I had not had much luck with iTunes on my Windows machines in the past, so was really surprised when I finally was able to do something with it and it actually worked smoothly in the way it was supposed to. Once I got that figured out and had added some music to my new iTunes Library, then the penny dropped and I thought, "AHHHH!!! Time for me to get an iPod!" I did so and still have it in a drawer somewhere.

Of course once I got my first iPhone in 2007 I gradually stopped using the iPod since I had all my music now on my new iPhone, too....
I got the iPod in 2001. The ability to load all the music for the graduate listening exam on there and shuffle it, then being able to look at the screen to see if I properly identified the pieces was invaluable as I got my Master’s degree. Before that, it was swapping CDs or putting tracks on a tape… but it was impossible to really test yourself because you knew what CD you put in there… or remembered the order you recorded them onto the tape.

It was also fantastic for learning music. I occasionally dust it off and listen to it just for old times sake, and although I seldom fly, when I do, I bring it so I don’t run down my phone battery listening to music on the plane.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Has anyone with an iPod (click-wheel models) ever install RockBox? It's an alternate OS, added some different decoders, a totally different, very customizable UI, themes, direct storage access, lots of plugins.

1652208530035.png

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Has anyone with an iPod (click-wheel models) ever install RockBox? It's an alternate OS, added some different decoders, a totally different, very customizable UI, themes, direct storage access, lots of plugins.

View attachment 13883

That looks pretty interesting. Also...I guess I never knew there was a color display for that genre of iPod.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
That looks pretty interesting. Also...I guess I never knew there was a color display for that genre of iPod.
Oh, yeah, for awhile i used to sideload movies onto my iPod Photo to watch movies when on the road.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, I've installed it a couple of times, I was able to play FLAC which was pretty outstanding. Resetting back to stock software was pretty simple too.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
RIP iPod 🪦. I wish I wasn’t so anti-Apple back in the day. I feel like I missed a lot of exciting things during that time. I never had an iPod but I wish I did. At least I get to experience the excitement of the Apple Silicon transition.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
RIP iPod 🪦. I wish I wasn’t so anti-Apple back in the day. I feel like I missed a lot of exciting things during that time.

Back in college when I was in student government, we had an Apple computer in our offices. We used it to prepare agendas and record minutes and normal WP stuff. I played the number shuffle game that came with it. A lot. :)

But I had a screaming IBM PC AT with a x286 processor, 10MB hard drive, color screen and a Laserjet II. So I had some hardware. I wish I had gone to Apple back then but the PC world was where it was at the time. It took me another 22 years to get back.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
The iPod came along when I was wanting something better than burned CDs, but didn’t like the anemic storage of the flash-based players, and the Nomad was expensive (and larger than my CD player). I couldn’t afford it right away and held onto my CD player until the 3rd Gen model came along. That thing carried my music everywhere until the iPhone. I wish I remembered what I did with it to be honest.

But it and a used Lombard G3 was what got me through college.

Top Bottom
1 2