Online Political Forum(s)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I appreciate the thought. That said I previously dropped into the shadows with Facebook because I was not happy with it. My wife still does verbal battles there. As you know, I am active on several boards similar/same in software to techboards, which function in a similar manner to social media, the main difference, at least my impression is that social media involves much larger numbers of people which can be zooish in itself.

So for anyone who likes Mastodon how would you promote It? As you might be able to tell I’m hesitant. :oops:
I only use FB for hobby groups for photography and drones but never engage in any other type of conversations, politics, etc, EVER.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
It ain’t Facebook.

😂
Facebook is a bunch of people gathered at a site to communicate with each other. Mastodon is _________? I’m not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to understand in advance. I will most likely sign up for it and just see for myself what is there, but my impression is another version of a bunch of people gathered on line to communicate. :) I do realize the scope of the big social media places is huge as you may comment with any number high profile personalities, possibly. :unsure:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Facebook is a bunch of people gathered at a site to communicate with each other. Mastodon is _________? I’m not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to understand in advance. I will most likely sign up for it and just see for myself what is there, but my impression is another version of a bunch of people gathered on line to communicate. :) I do realize the scope of the big social media places is huge as you may comment with any number high profile personalities, possibly. :unsure:
It’s a place for people with a variety of interests go to discuss those interests. They range from needlework, writing, poetry, to politics, and music.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
@Alli I looked at the new standard or default signup which puts you on a server controlled by the founders versus the server you guys are on. Apologies for asking, but what is the name of your server? So what differences would I notice if I signed up for your server vs the default server? Would I notice a closer tie to the people who are on my server, or would I just be in a giant mix of everyone? Thanks for your patience and understanding with these questions. :)

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
@Alli I looked at the new standard or default signup which puts you on a server controlled by the founders versus the server you guys are on. Apologies for asking, but what is the name of your server? So what differences would I notice if I signed up for your server vs the default server? Would I notice a closer tie to the people who are on my server, or would I just be in a giant mix of everyone? Thanks for your patience and understanding with these questions. :)
It’s talkedabout.social. You can either put that directly into your browser, or click on my sig.
Eric is operating a server called talkedabout.social
Nope. I am. 😛

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
It’s talkedabout.social. You can either put that directly into your browser, or click on my sig.

Nope. I am. 😛
What difference do I see if I join talkedabout vs a default server? Would talkedabout tie me closer to the group here, such as be at the top level, but to see other servers would have to search, or is it just a big conglomerstion of sections with everyone mixed together?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
What difference do I see if I join talkedabout vs a default server? Would talkedabout tie me closer to the group here, such as be at the top level, but to see other servers would have to search, or is it just a big conglomerstion of sections with everyone mixed together?
More or less it makes no difference unless you use a client that has a “local timeline” that shows a stream of what people on the server are posting (even if you don’t subscribe to them). Most clients have such a feature. Personally I’ve never used it, though it might be more compelling in a situation like this.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
More or less it makes no difference unless you use a client that has a “local timeline” that shows a stream of what people on the server are posting (even if you don’t subscribe to them). Most clients have such a feature. Personally I’ve never used it, though it might be more compelling in a situation like this.
It would be if the few members we have were active on Masto, but they’re not.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! You can probably tell that large capacity social media is a low priority for me, but I do plan on signing up for it and see what there is to see.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
AFAICT, Mastodon is a lot like tw****r, but decentalized. I never really got into* tw****r, so Mastodon is kind of an uphill suss for me.

* "never" = did not ever so much as have an account
I do but never use it for posting, and the only time I reference it is when a link appears in the forums I frequent.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
@Huntn you will discover that Mastodon postings ('toots') expand when you post the link

but not quite as well as from tw****r. So far.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
@Huntn you will discover that Mastodon postings ('toots') expand when you post the link

but not quite as well as from tw****r. So far.
Are real names required? i assume yes. I’ve told my wife to cool it on Facebook on several occasions , or one day one of us will open the front door to face a gun… :unsure:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Are real names required? i assume yes. I’ve told my wife to cool it on Facebook on several occasions , or one day one of us will open the front door to face a gun… :unsure:
Real names on mastodon? Not required.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
A real concern, if people have to attach their real names to their comments it would be a different environment IMO. Twitter doesn't require real names either but FB puts a priority on them.

Top Bottom
1 2