Rant…. downhill at the other place

tomO2013

Power User
Reaction score
At another (well known) Mac place to most of us … in a galaxy far far away….

I am growing increasingly frustrated with the level of moderation and activity of moderation as it relates to the posters there.

Recently an individual whose dating profile probably reads :
- enjoy trolling a certain Mac website , posts random googled benchmarks of gaming PC’s (with neon lights), play chess and fish cakes benchmarks, holding hands and listening to Mariah Carey ‘All I want for Christmas… is an AMD PC’.

This individual was trolling (again) the group really hard before taking his most recent vacation.

Reports to the moderators were made. Nothing was done about it for a number of days. When he was asked to show proof of his work, he openly admitted along the lines of ‘I can post benchmarks to software if I like, I don‘t have to know , sure I can watch snoopy at the same time if I want.’.

Today on a forum discussing 3d rendering performance, I was told that I was doing a strawman asking folks to show what they have worked on and to look at their overall workflow when deciding on a whether to buy a Mac for 3d rendering’. I asked for why and how this was not relevant to the topic of 3d renderin…. I was met with name calling.
This is more of a rant than anything else, but I’m getting a little sick and tired seeing really good people who contribute to the overall community over there leave, or get kicked out, while on the other hand, those who openly troll, are obnoxiously aggressive are tolerated. I think I’m at the point where I’m done for good over there.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
At another (well known) Mac place to most of us … in a galaxy far far away….

I am growing increasingly frustrated with the level of moderation and activity of moderation as it relates to the posters there.

Recently an individual whose dating profile probably reads :
- enjoy trolling a certain Mac website , posts random googled benchmarks of gaming PC’s (with neon lights), play chess and fish cakes benchmarks, holding hands and listening to Mariah Carey ‘All I want for Christmas… is an AMD PC’.

This individual was trolling (again) the group really hard before taking his most recent vacation.

Reports to the moderators were made. Nothing was done about it for a number of days. When he was asked to show proof of his work, he openly admitted along the lines of ‘I can post benchmarks to software if I like, I don‘t have to know , sure I can watch snoopy at the same time if I want.’.

Today on a forum discussing 3d rendering performance, I was told that I was doing a strawman asking folks to show what they have worked on and to look at their overall workflow when deciding on a whether to buy a Mac for 3d rendering’. I asked for why and how this was not relevant to the topic of 3d renderin…. I was met with name calling.
This is more of a rant than anything else, but I’m getting a little sick and tired seeing really good people who contribute to the overall community over there leave, or get kicked out, while on the other hand, those who openly troll, are obnoxiously aggressive are tolerated. I think I’m at the point where I’m done for good over there.

My separation from that place was involuntary, but I don’t miss it at all.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I thought the recent story on a new Apple Store opening in the Portland area would be a safe topic. But wow! It was mostly discussing how BLM and Antifa destroyed the city.

I wasn't banned or chased off from the other place. I'm still a member in good standing. I just got tired of all the negativity. I didn't mind it in the old section there devoted to controversial topics. But I should be able to read generic tech news and gather useful information as a consumer (that store is about 20 minutes away) without needing to wade through the BS. They closed the forums dedicated to hot topics and now just let it seep into all other parts of the site instead. And the seepage seems very lopsided in what gets through and what is filtered out.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@tomO2013

Send invites (via PM) to any of the folks in those discussions you think would enjoy a better, more M7ngy-free place to discuss tech topics, you might even mention some of the folks who are already here :)

“The team reviewed and determined that no moderation was necessary…”

Hahaha, those reports go into a 5 minute queue to simulate human interaction/intervention, then do some kind of blacklisted_user + protected_user lookup to determine the automated reply :ROFLMAO:

One time they must've had the queue misconfigured, because I'll swear I got that response in < 30 seconds, and given the traffic, the nature of the thread, there was no way an actual human moderator reviewed the report and the related post.

tomO2013

Power User
Reaction score
Yup got the report this morning “no moderation necessary”.

Very quickly after the button to report was pressed. … how?!?

Macky-Mac

Power User
Reaction score
moderation quality is always a problem.....people who get "moderated" feel they've been treated unreasonably and people who want somebody else "moderated" feel it's unreasonable when it doesn't happen

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The last time I was moderated I didn't even get a notification about it, I figure they do it so much every day that they simply can't keep up with alerting people, especially if it's an incidental removal. You've never seen a more heavily moderated environment but we all know that now.

I still hang out in the photography section from time to time but rarely ever post. If I see someone I like though I'll drop them an invite.

Top Bottom
1 2