Risk for Developing Alzheimer’s Disease Increases by 50-80% In Older Adults Who Caught COVID-19

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Summary: The risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease almost doubled in older people during the one-year period following COVID-19 infection.

Source: Case Western Reserve

Older people who were infected with COVID-19 show a substantially higher risk—as much as 50% to 80% higher than a control group—of developing Alzheimer’s disease within a year, according to a study of more than 6 million patients 65 and older.

In a study published today in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, researchers report that people 65 and older who contracted COVID-19 were more prone to developing Alzheimer’s disease in the year following their COVID diagnosis. And the highest risk was observed in women at least 85 years old.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Since no one else is commenting, likely in exhausted horror, I have nothing useful to add, other than COVID is apparently the unwanted gift that keeps on giving. It's like the Xmas fruit cake, gifted to you by your uncle Ted, laced with a "Unabomber special", after it's already been regifted by Lizzie Borden, Ted Bundy, and Elizabeth Báthory.

I don't think I'll be telling my mother about this study. She has, thus far, avoided catching the plague, but I don't need to add to her anxiety.

What I can say is that I'm tired. We all are, because it never seems to end. It's easy to get crisis fatigue, everyone has it, to some degree. Most of the measures we have taken are bandaids, at best. The only words of advice, that I think are actually applicable, are those from my friendly neighborhood pharmacist: "We will all go back to normal when everyone gets the fucking vaccine". Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. We can only do our part, and take care of those around us, even if the rest of the world is on fire.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Note that while there is indeed a 50-80% increase in risk, the base probability they quote is relatively small: 0.35% (now 0.68% in the COVID group). So, while the relative change is big, the overall risk for an individual has not changed /that/ dramatically.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Since no one else is commenting, likely in exhausted horror, I have nothing useful to add, other than COVID is apparently the unwanted gift that keeps on giving. It's like the Xmas fruit cake, gifted to you by your uncle Ted, laced with a "Unabomber special", after it's already been regifted by Lizzie Borden, Ted Bundy, and Elizabeth Báthory.

I don't think I'll be telling my mother about this study. She has, thus far, avoided catching the plague, but I don't need to add to her anxiety.

What I can say is that I'm tired. We all are, because it never seems to end. It's easy to get crisis fatigue, everyone has it, to some degree. Most of the measures we have taken are bandaids, at best. The only words of advice, that I think are actually applicable, are those from my friendly neighborhood pharmacist: "We will all go back to normal when everyone gets the fucking vaccine". Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. We can only do our part, and take care of those around us, even if the rest of the world is on fire.
Agreed, there's nothing more deflating than getting the latest and greatest vaccine just to learn about the next subvariant a week later. Total burnout.

Top Bottom
1 2