Reaction score

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Fascinating. If true, I have to hat-tip Sony for pushing forward (again) on camera and sensor tech. I do wonder how curved sensors are fabricated (gradual buildup of layers towards the sensor periphery?).

My first digital camera was a Sony f707 from the early 2000s. Its Zeiss lens was superb. Loved its “nightshot” mode which flipped the internal IR-block filter out of the light path. Simply screwing on a B+W visible light block filter turned it into a true infra red camera. Also, for focusing, the camera used a laser-diode that projected a series of red dots on your subject and focused off that. Quick and dead accurate.

Seeing the Mamyia 7 camera in the video brought back memories of always wanting one and its three lenses when I shot film - but was always out for reach on cost. A friend had one and it was a great camera.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Fascinating. If true, I have to hat-tip Sony for pushing forward (again) on camera and sensor tech. I do wonder how curved sensors are fabricated (gradual buildup of layers towards the sensor periphery?).

My first digital camera was a Sony f707 from the early 2000s. Its Zeiss lens was superb. Loved its “nightshot” mode which flipped the internal IR-block filter out of the light path. Simply screwing on a B+W visible light block filter turned it into a true infra red camera. Also, for focusing, the camera used a laser-diode that projected a series of red dots on your subject and focused off that. Quick and dead accurate.

Seeing the Mamyia 7 camera in the video brought back memories of always wanting one and its three lenses when I shot film - but was always out for reach on cost. A friend had one and it was a great camera.

I would imagine you curve the substrate, for example by selectively etching away material. Etch profiles are often curved, anyway.

Top Bottom
1 2