Rumored M4 MBP geekbench

Metal score
1728299755392.png

So if the disinformations wars crank up by another order of magnitude, we will know why... :(

Considering the number of them now reportedly being sold, something like 200, that seems very likely.
cue apple adding time-lock circuits to the secure enclave next year so that machines don’t work until apple says they are damned ready for them to work.

Cinebench 2024 score for M4 MacBook Pro.
Single Core = 174
Multi Core = 977
GPU = 4076
1728497092622.png

Cpu scores look fantastic. I am a little disappointed in the gpu score. I had hoped the 2x ray tracing from the A18 Pro would apply here also. Perhaps the A17 Pro was more limited in ray tracing and now the A18 Pro is up to par with the M chips? Or perhaps the RT on the A18 Pro is ahead of the M chips?

Last edited:
Not sure how much data was used to create this but Ben Bajarin from Creative Strategies made it. It suggests single core increases are accelerating.
1728503377565.png

Damn. I was going to get an M2 Studio, but it really seems like I should wait for the next one. Hopefully my 2009 Mac Pro is up for it!

Not sure how much data was used to create this but Ben Bajarin from Creative Strategies made it. It suggests single core increases are accelerating.
I wouldn’t get too excited from so few data points. We always tried to get 20%. Some years it was less, some years it was more. You have to rely on process node improvements, which are out of your control, in addition to things that are within your control. Given the small number of data points, the only thing I’d take from it is that, just like we did those years ago at AMD, Apple is aiming for 20%.

Cpu scores look fantastic. I am a little disappointed in the gpu score. I had hoped the 2x ray tracing from the A18 Pro would apply here also. Perhaps the A17 Pro was more limited in ray tracing and now the A18 Pro is up to par with the M chips? Or perhaps the RT on the A18 Pro is ahead of the M chips?

The GPU score is around 20-25% higher compared to M3, which is a bigger difference than what we see in other benchmarks.

You have to rely on process node improvements, which are out of your control, in addition to things that are within your control.

Speaking of process improvements, while N3P will be a small bump, N2 and A16 should both be quite nice. If TSMC executes, having larger back-to-back process improvements for devices releasing in 2026 and 2027 should be very helpful - and of course all the new packaging tech on the horizon.

The GPU score is around 20-25% higher compared to M3, which is a bigger difference than what we see in other benchmarks.
It’s a nice improvement. I’m just curious what is the difference between the M4 and the A18 Pro, where we saw a much larger ray tracing uplift apparently. Versus the previous generation that is.

Cinebench 2024 score for M4 MacBook Pro.
Single Core = 174
Multi Core = 977
GPU = 4076
View attachment 31800
Why do I do this to myself? Check the comments ...

I successfully stayed away from engaging with mi7chy in his Lunar Lake thread*, but found myself here instead. I guess I'm just tired and cranky.

*all credit to those who have, including @leman and I loved @theorist9's MasterCard joke - was really disappointed in komuh's comment about Lunar Lake being equivalent to the M3 Pro in performance, previously I thought he was a better poster than that

Why do I do this to myself? Check the comments ...

Ugghhhh. Yeah infuriating. People’s brains are broken by Apple having faster cpus than AMD/Intel.

I successfully stayed away from engaging with mi7chy in his Lunar Lake thread*, but found myself here instead. I guess I'm just tired and cranky.

*all credit to those who have, including @leman and I loved @theorist9's MasterCard joke - was really disappointed in komuh's comment about Lunar Lake being equivalent to the M3 Pro in performance, previously I thought he was a better poster than that
Sigh. Yes he’s back with full force again. Cherry picking and dishonesty. Amazingly not banned.

Last edited:
Back