Rumored M4 MBP geekbench

Ugghhhh. Yeah infuriating. People’s brains are broken by Apple having faster cpus than AMD/Intel.

Sigh. Yes he’s back with full force again. Cherry picking and dishonesty. Amazingly not banned.

TOP let mi7chy back in? He was suspended before.

TOP?

Now others are just getting suspended for interacting with him. They may have just deleted @theorist9’s post rather than suspending him, but I don’t see his post anymore.

You know at some point as a MR mod if you are continually suspending multiple different people for interacting with the same individual and deleting posts directed at them then you might think to yourself maybe that individual is in fact a problem?

TOP?

Now others are just getting suspended for interacting with him. They may have just deleted @theorist9’s post rather than suspending him, but I don’t see his post anymore.

You know at some point as a MR mod if you are continually suspending multiple different people for interacting with the same individual you might think to yourself maybe that individual is in fact a problem?
It seems not. I had a new account I made a while ago which was banned after one mildly sarcastic post to mi7chy. I know they’ve been suspended, but they also seem protected. Hard to see mi7chy’s behaviour as anything other than trolling which is an offence according to their rules.

Just remember all the Stockfish stuff and that some rando who claimed they built rigs claimed to understand thermals better than you….🤪

I successfully stayed away from engaging with mi7chy in his Lunar Lake thread*, but found myself here instead. I guess I'm just tired and cranky.

*all credit to those who have, including @leman and I loved @theorist9's MasterCard joke - was really disappointed in komuh's comment about Lunar Lake being equivalent to the M3 Pro in performance, previously I thought he was a better poster than that
Thanks! You can catch my act every Tuesday....

Yes, my post was deleted, and I got a slap on the wrist from one of the mods (Weaselboy). It really is disappointing they take no action against mi7chy for repeatedly starting threads whose entire purpose is solely to bait other users. [EDIT: Just read he was suspended, at least for a time. Well, that's progress.]

For those who are curious, mi7chy was comparing RAM upgrade costs in the Lenovo and Apple laptops. That by itself is fair game, but he did it in a very sarcastic way and, more importantly, he has a history of starting even more inflammatory threads. Here's my banned post. I think they have a bot set to automatically notify them anytime someone uses the word "troll", since that's gotten me in trouble before; but "trolling" is fine (they probably assume troll is name-calling, while trolling describes an act). I suppose I could have reworded it, but I liked it as it was....
1728709029077.png

Last edited:
Just remember all the Stockfish stuff and that some rando who claimed they built rigs claimed to understand thermals better than you….🤪

stockfish is the most important benchmark of all time, and it was a huge catastrophe when M1 was lagging in stockfish just because nobody had attempted to optimize the code for Arm. Stockfish is also a delicious sandwich topping, an amazing floor wax, and the prettiest girl at any party. Do not taunt Stockfish.

Thanks! You can catch my act every Tuesday....

Yes, my post was deleted, and I got a slap on the wrist from one of the mods (Weaselboy). It really is disappointing they take no action against mi7chy for repeatedly starting threads whose entire purpose is solely to bait other users. [EDIT: Just read he was suspended, at least for a time. Well, that's progress.]

Yeah sadly @Jimmyjames and @Joelist were referring to a suspension he got a while ago and seemed to discourage him from posting for a long while, made the at least the Apple Silicon sub-forum bearable for a time since both he and sunny5 were gone. Unfortunately about 3-4 other people not named mi7chy in that thread have been suspended, maybe more. Hard to tell for some since they just got straight up deleted from the thread. One of them, I think XNUser or something simply correctly pointed out that mi7chy accused Homy of the exact same thing mi7chy themselves were guilty of in that exact same thread - as originally pointed out by @leman which mi7chy naturally ignored. And somehow that earned XNUser a deletion. @Jimmyjames that wasn’t you was it? Or did you get banned in a different incident? Anyways, that thread was one of mi7chy’s most effective trolls on that site in a long time. It'd almost be impressive if it wasn't such a pointless waste of human activity.

For those who are curious, mi7chy was comparing RAM upgrade costs in the Lenovo and Apple laptops. That by itself is fair game, but he did it in a very sarcastic way and, more importantly, he has a history of starting even more inflammatory threads. Here's my banned post. I think they have a bot set to automatically notify them anytime someone uses the word "troll", since that's gotten me in trouble before; but "trolling" is fine (they probably assume troll is name-calling, while trolling describes an act). I suppose I could have reworded it, but I liked it as it was....
View attachment 31860
Yup.

stockfish is the most important benchmark of all time, and it was a huge catastrophe when M1 was lagging in stockfish just because nobody had attempted to optimize the code for Arm. Stockfish is also a delicious sandwich topping, an amazing floor wax, and the prettiest girl at any party. Do not taunt Stockfish.
To be fair, that thread got really good when the Stockfish engineer came into it and starting discussing the various issues and actually looked into optimizing it. Then the mods locked it because that one guy just couldn’t let go of his fixation just when it was starting to get actually interesting. Though if I remember right that engineer started a new thread after (and the one guy Appletoni I think actually behaved himself for a bit). I do wonder now that Apple’s matrix accelerators use SME if they’ve upgraded their code for the M3.

Edit: I went looking for an answer but all I found was someone asking the same question about SME and getting a lot of hate from a Chess-PC user for his trouble. Charming.

Last edited:
Speaking of RAM and M4's: If Apple decides to use an entirely separate architecture for the M4 Ultra (i.e., not make it 2x M4 Max), is HBM RAM an unreasonable possibility? [Not necessarily for all the UMA, but perhaps as part of a tiered RAM system?] Would it require too much architectural redesign? Would the benefit not be sufficent? I'm guessing the Ultra Studio and MP could accommodate both the increased thermals and increased parts cost, but maybe it's more expensive than I realize.

Last edited:
Speaking of RAM and M4's: If Apple decides to use an entirely separate architecture for the M4 Ultra (i.e., not make it 2x M4 Max), is HBM RAM an unreasonable possibility? [Not necessarily for all the UMA, but perhaps as part of a tiered RAM system?] Would it require too much architectural redesign? Would the benefit not be sufficent? I'm guessing the Ultra Studio and MP could accommodate both the increased thermals and increased parts cost, but maybe it's more expensive than I realize.
My own take is … maybe? It’s hard to know: too many variables in terms of the rest of the Ultra SOC design and how Apple views its role and of course cost.

The Ultra RAM interface is already very wide, if they wanted to take advantage of HBM they would need to make it much wider yet. I don’t know how practical this would be. If you are thinking about a tiered memory approach increasing cache size might be a better way to go. Imagine some sort of stacked configuration with a large cache-only die slapped on top or alongside the SoC. They do have patents that go in this direction, published a while ago.

Yeah sadly @Jimmyjames and @Joelist were referring to a suspension he got a while ago and seemed to discourage him from posting for a long while, made the at least the Apple Silicon sub-forum bearable for a time since both he and sunny5 were gone. Unfortunately about 3-4 other people not named mi7chy in that thread have been suspended, maybe more. Hard to tell for some since they just got straight up deleted from the thread. One of them, I think XNUser or something simply correctly pointed out that mi7chy accused Homy of the exact same thing mi7chy themselves were guilty of in that exact same thread - as originally pointed out by @leman which mi7chy naturally ignored. And somehow that earned XNUser a deletion. @Jimmyjames that wasn’t you was it? Or did you get banned in a different incident? Anyways, that thread was one of mi7chy’s most effective trolls on that site in a long time. It'd almost be impressive if it wasn't such a pointless waste of human activity.
Lol. You caught me. Yeah that was me. Registered fine. Liked some posts: no problem. Make one post pointing out mi7chy’s dishonesty = instant ban. I still get the feeling either mi7chy is protected for engagement reasons, or they might be a mod’s alt?
Yup.

To be fair, that thread got really good when the Stockfish engineer came into it and starting discussing the various issues and actually looked into optimizing it. Then the mods locked it because that one guy just couldn’t let go of his fixation just when it was starting to get actually interesting. Though if I remember right that engineer started a new thread after (and the one guy Appletoni I think actually behaved himself for a bit). I do wonder now that Apple’s matrix accelerators use SME if they’ve upgraded their code for the M3.

Edit: I went looking for an answer but all I found was someone asking the same question about SME and getting a lot of hate from a Chess-PC user for his trouble. Charming.
Lol. Who knew chess fans were so prickly?!

Damn. Now I see Homy is suspended. For what exactly? Literally said nothing wrong and forensically picked apart mi7chy’s posts.
Offending post might’ve been deleted - the last post of mi7chy basically accused him of being incompetent and a conspiracy theorist. It’s possible Homy replied with something spicy and it got very quickly deleted by a mod (or it was in a DM). Otherwise yeah I dunno.

Lol. You caught me. Yeah that was me. Registered fine. Liked some posts: no problem. Make one post pointing out mi7chy’s dishonesty = instant ban. I still get the feeling either mi7chy is protected for engagement reasons, or they might be a mod’s alt?
Maybe. I lean more towards the engagement aspect (the standard excuse being we want an “open” community often not actually being welcoming to different viewpoints but rather trolling and drama). Plus mi7chy is an experienced troll. They know how to craft a post to bait people without crossing the line and mods often don’t consider post history or context but only judge individual posts making it harder to suspend/ban bait trolls if they are smarter than to post super obvious flame bait and as we’ve discussed at length MR is already extremely lenient on determining what is flame bait vs a “difference of opinion”. I once tried pointing this out to a MR mod that this flaw in their system allowed for greater toxicity but they basically threw up their hands and went “those are the rules we enforce”. I wouldn’t be a volunteer mod at one of those large forums, thankless job - literally. But yeah …

As for your post, given the extreme response to what was a fairly anodyne response my guess is that they finally figured out that yours was an alt of a previously banned account, maybe by IP address and just re-banned you rather than banning you because of anything you said. Basically it was more the fact that a mod was watching that thread closely for people to ban and finally noticed you.

Lol. Who knew chess fans were so prickly?!
Indeed. Never understood that mentality - in any direction. It’s just a choice of computer/phone/CPU/GPU/whatever. Like don’t get me wrong, I have my biases and I’m much more likely to call out bad information from a PC user about Macs than I am for the reverse, but … yeah … just treat people decently. Ach … rant on my high horse over. 🙃

Offending post might’ve been deleted - the last post of mi7chy basically accused him of being incompetent and a conspiracy theorist. It’s possible Homy replied with something spicy and it got very quickly deleted by a mod (or it was in a DM). Otherwise yeah I dunno.

Maybe. I lean more towards the engagement aspect (the standard excuse being we want an “open” community often not actually being welcoming to different viewpoints but rather trolling and drama). Plus mi7chy is an experienced troll. They know how to craft a post to bait people without crossing the line and mods often don’t consider post history or context but only judge individual posts making it harder to suspend/ban bait trolls if they are smarter than to post super obvious flame bait and as we’ve discussed at length MR is already extremely lenient on determining what is flame bait vs a “difference of opinion”. I once tried pointing this out to a MR mod that this flaw in their system allowed for greater toxicity but they basically threw up their hands and went “those are the rules we enforce”. I wouldn’t be a volunteer mod at one of those large forums, thankless job - literally. But yeah …
They are rather slippery but having said that, they have broken the rules a few times in the past and it seldom seems to make a difference.
As for your post, given the extreme response to what was a fairly anodyne response my guess is that they finally figured out that yours was an alt of a previously banned account, maybe by IP address and just re-banned you rather than banning you because of anything you said. Basically it was more the fact that a mod was watching that thread closely for people to ban and finally noticed you.
Yeah could be something obvious. I did use a vpn and private browsing. I should try making a new one with no association to current ip address or computer but I’m not convinced it’s really worth it.
Indeed. Never understood that mentality - in any direction. It’s just a choice of computer/phone/CPU/GPU/whatever. Like don’t get me wrong, I have my biases and I’m much more likely to call out bad information from a PC user about Macs than I am for the reverse, but … yeah … just treat people decently. Ach … rant on my high horse over. 🙃

For sure we all have our biases. I think I can usually tell the difference between those that critique from a point of view of wanting things to be better, and those that are just looking to dump on another’s choice of computer.

I gather M4 represents a larger microarchitecture change than some thought - the cores are now 10 wide instead of 8 wide. Interesting.

As to all the TOP stuff, I have to admit I don't go there any longer. The Stockfish hilarity coupled with the mods protecting mi7chy convinced me MR is not really a Mac forum. Now the Stockfish stuff WAS funny especially when it became clear that not only was it running in Rosetta the config was wrong and it was only using one core and limited memory. I like this place a lot better (even if I do think the PnR forum should be junked as all those ever do is breed disharmony) because neither the Pro Mac nor Anti Mac posts / posters get protected.

Back