Sacramento police stop mother and 8-year-old son at gunpoint over mistaken identity

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
A Black mother is demanding an apology after Sacramento police officers pulled her and her 8-year-old son over at gunpoint, mistaking the child for a teen wanted for two felonies.

Shanice Stewart, who is nine months pregnant, said she was driving her son, Brandon, to football practice around 5 p.m. on Oct. 17 when police officers pulled them over, with more officers later surrounding the car and a helicopter hovering in the sky, according to KCRA. Authorities were not after Stewart but her young son, who the officers thought fit the description of a suspect.

“Really? My 8-year-old baby fits the description of the suspect you’re looking for?” Stewart told KCRA. “It just didn’t make sense to me.”

Stewart has not responded to a request for comment, but she did share her account of the incident in a Facebook post, writing that police ordered her to toss her keys out of the window and slowly exit the car with her hands in the air. Brandon had gotten out of the car as well, and was screaming and begging the police not to take his mother away. She recalled the boy trying to tell the officers, “My mom was just taking me to practice.”

Shortly after, police ended the ordeal and told Stewart that they had made a mistake. The officers thought the third-grader may have been a juvenile suspect wanted for a pair of felony warrants, including one for gun possession, according to a statement from the Sacramento Police Department. Stewart was shocked.

Top Bottom
1 2