Samsung 5k 27" & Dell 6k 32" monitors announced at CES

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
At that price point, I don't see why anyone would purchase the Samsung over the Apple monitor.

Same here. Personally, I haven't found the Studio Display stand limiting. Maybe if I were 6'4" in height. And, I prefer the crispness of a non-matte display (I can somewhat control the lighting in my office). I do appreciate that speaker sound quality is OK (obviously not great/outstanding, but better than most displays).

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score
Samsung has announced that the 27-inch 5K ViewFinity S9 will be released in August in the United States. It will have an MSRP of $1,599.00.

As Apple Insider notes, that price point is 99 cents more than the Apple Studio Display. The Samsung model does come with a height adjustable stand and a matte coating. Those options cost extra when purchasing the Apple monitor. Samsung also features a 4K camera and more ports than the Studio Display.

At that price point, I don't see why anyone would purchase the Samsung over the Apple monitor. At least LG is smart enough to understand that their 5K offering needs to undercut Apple on price, with the 5K UltraFine currently at $1,200 on Amazon. I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung lowers the price within the next year, or simply stops shipping them if they aren't getting the profit margins that they expect.
I was thinking along the same lines (I was going to say something about "great minds...", but you're the only one that qualifies there...). But I think we need to wait to see the Sammy's market price (which might include a substantial discount off MSRP as well as the drop in the MSRP itself that you mentioned) before we can assess its value.

It's hard to find anything exactly comparable, but here's the Amazon price history of the Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 gaming monitor from camelcamelcamel.com (I chose it because it's also a very expensive computer monitior, and thus might be more comparable to the Viewfinity S9 than, say, a $500 display), which looks like it was introduced at $2,500 MSRP. The price has dropped substantially, due both to discounting and a drop in the MSRP.

Wouldn't be of interest to me personally, though, since I prefer a glossy display.

1689708422705.png

Last edited:

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I do appreciate that speaker sound quality is OK (obviously not great/outstanding, but better than most displays).

I think the speakers are pretty good. I could get better, but then I'd have speakers on my desk.

What I don't think gets enough attention is the microphone. I work from home full time now. And it's not at all uncommon for people to have problems with their mics, their headsets, their whatever equipment. Sometimes people need to dial in on their computer to see and call in on their phones for audio. I have no extra audio equipment. Just a monitor on my desk. And while I've not heard myself, I've been told I sound just fine (my previous iMac got similar reviews). I'm so thrilled to not have to worry about all the issues & equipment the Windows people have. I'm a computer programmer so the video camera is stays off (if I liked people, I wouldn't have chosen to work with computers). So I can't speak for the quality of that. But the sound capabilities are fantastic in my opinion.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a 4K 27” display attached to their Mac? Whenever I get around to upgrading I’d like to purchase a decent monitor but not at the prices of a 5K monitor. However some people seem to have had issues with scaling on 4K monitors and AS Macs*. I’m not sure what the current state of play is or if those people are just super picky and a mere mortal like myself wouldn’t really notice.

*complaints of too small for native, and too big, or even worse fuzzy, for scaled.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Does anyone here have a 4K 27” display attached to their Mac? Whenever I get around to upgrading I’d like to purchase a decent monitor but not at the prices of a 5K monitor. However some people seem to have had issues with scaling on 4K monitors and AS Macs*. I’m not sure what the current state of play is or if those people are just super picky and a mere mortal like myself wouldn’t really notice.

*complaints of too small for native, and too big, or even worse fuzzy, for scaled.

I've got the Apple Studio display and a 27" LG 4k next to it. I've not really had any issue at all except the Mac sometimes doesn't see the second monitor. Very rarely.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Yeah, the samsung seems to be getting somewhat mocked.
I think that, for the most part, the Samsung is decent gear, just at the wrong price to compete with Apple quality. That being said, the plastic wobbly housing is a bit shit.

Maybe if I were 6'4" in height.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be big and strong like the professional wrestlers that I watched on television. Now that I often sit at my computer desk for extended periods, I'm quite pleased to be completely average in build. I've never had issues with monitor height adjustment, either.

I do appreciate that speaker sound quality is OK (obviously not great/outstanding, but better than most displays).
I've mentioned before how my current Mac setup is held together with sticks, bubble gum, and unicorn tears. The speakers I use are a cheap Logitech pair that I got for $1 at a yard sale. Anything I upgrade to will be better. My next Mac isn't going to be a cheap stopgap, I'm just putting it off for as long as possible.

I was thinking along the same lines (I was going to say something about "great minds...", but you're the only one that qualifies there...).
Flattery will get you everywhere, my friend. However, as a self-admitted small brain person, the main reason I visit TechBoards is the hope that all of the smart folks here will someday make me into a big brain.

Does anyone here have a 4K 27” display attached to their Mac?
I think it depends upon personal tolerance. There are users who are perfectly fine with standard definition 1080p monitors with macOS. Then there are folks like me who obsess over having a ~220ppi "Retina" display to go alongside my Mac. Unfortunately, the options are limited and quite expensive. Hence, I've been babying my 21.5-inch UltraFine. Getting it brand new for $342 was ridiculous, in hindsight.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I will inappropriately hijack this thread now. Now that others are reporting the rumor, I can confirm that I hear that there will be no quad-die M3.

We now return you to your regular programming.

jbailey

Power User
Reaction score
I will inappropriately hijack this thread now. Now that others are reporting the rumor, I can confirm that I hear that there will be no quad-die M3.

Shouldn’t this get its own post? Seems fairly newsworthy. And a bummer.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Shouldn’t this get its own post? Seems fairly newsworthy. And a bummer.
This is my personal opinion, not to speak for the man himself, he's quite humble, these are just my observations. I think @Cmaier feels comfortable sharing breadcrumbs with us because he knows we're not going to go blabbing to the dunderheads over at MacRumors, or some random website looking for clicks. He's been out of the industry for some time now, occasionally has a chat with his old colleagues, and now spends his days quietly being abused by judges and hand surgeons. He's not a journalist, he doesn't owe us anything, which I think everyone here understands.

TechBoards is a small, respectful community, which sets it apart as it's own little island of tranquility in a sea of sharks. From my perspective, we're a throwback to the early internet, when little forums like this were common. So, I applaud our members for both the respect and restraint that we've shown our resident Opteron architect.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score

Who else has reported the rumor?

Edit: ah I see the other thread now, bummer

theorist9

Site Champ
Reaction score

Thank you, mysterious source whose name I've immediately forgotten, for making my thread more interesting.

Top Bottom
1 2