setting up my new iMac something still are wonky

fooferdoggie

Site Master
Site Donor
some glitches seem universal. like I go through the steps to turn off capslock and nope it does not turn off and that was the same on my last iMac with another keyboard. I have a programmable logitech mouse get it up and running and one button set to reload a safari page command-r but close's the tab instead the same and command-w. that's a new glitch. I need the capslock off so bad but it has not worked for a long time.

Are you runnng logitech mouse software? I have vague recollection of there being glitches like this caused by running some sort of logitech software.

Are you runnng logitech mouse software? I have vague recollection of there being glitches like this caused by running some sort of logitech software.
yes, or you don't get any button mapping. worked fine on my last system

yes, or you don't get any button mapping. worked fine on my last system
all i can suggest is try setting up a new user account, or switch to the guest account, and see if everything works. If so, that means that something you installed is breaking things.

Depending on how much the Logitech software does for you, you could use Linearmouse. A third party mouse software that is less atrocious than Logitech's.

I really wish Apple would provide more built in mouse customisation. The Game controller settings are fantastic and can be adapted per game. I’d love mouse settings that could be set like that.

Depending on how much the Logitech software does for you, you could use Linearmouse. A third party mouse software that is less atrocious than Logitech's.

I really wish Apple would provide more built in mouse customisation. The Game controller settings are fantastic and can be adapted per game. I’d love mouse settings that could be set like that.
It's also a pity macOS doesn't recognize a joystick as a game controller :cautious:

Edit: by which I mean that the joystick works but I don’t get Game controller settings

Last edited:
some glitches seem universal. like I go through the steps to turn off capslock and nope it does not turn off and that was the same on my last iMac with another keyboard. I have a programmable logitech mouse get it up and running and one button set to reload a safari page command-r but close's the tab instead the same and command-w. that's a new glitch. I need the capslock off so bad but it has not worked for a long time.
Keyboard: Do you mean pressing the Caps Lock key doesn't disable caps lock? What keyboard are you using with your iMac? You can troubleshoot by opening System Settings and going to Accessibility -> Keyboard. Turn on Accessibility Keyboard. Click the Caps Lock key on the virtual keyboard that appears and see what happens. It's also possible this is a hardware problem. You can try prying off the Caps Lock keycap to see if it's physically stuck because of dirt or something else.

Mouse: I haven't trusted Logitech's software for years, and even their hardware isn't as well-made as it used to be. I see you want to use a mouse button to reload web pages, but at least the keyboard shortcut for that is easy.

no, I want the capslock disabled so that when I accidentally hit it it does not stay on. I have to look at the keyboard when typing so it may take a while till I see it.

no, I want the capslock disabled so that when I accidentally hit it it does not stay on. I have to look at the keyboard when typing so it may take a while till I see it.

Just so I understand... You're talking about remapping the Caps Lock key to No Action? Via:

Systems Settings -> Keyboard -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Modifier Keys

Ah, gotcha. To do that, open System Settings and enter modifier keys in the search field. Click Customize modifier keys. Set Caps Lock to No Action, then click Done.

Modifier Keys.jpeg

I was trying to have this same mouse work the same on my mac and my windows computer at work. it was the same till awhile ago then the functions did not always work on my imac.

it did not work on my regular mac keyboard with a numeric pad and now on my new one with the fingerprint reader. wonder if it has anything to do with being wireless.

I just tried it on my wireless Apple keyboard (with finger print reader) and Mac Studio computer and that works.

I just tried it on my wireless Apple keyboard (with finger print reader) and Mac Studio computer and that works.
I have the same setup as you and it works for me too.

@fooferdoggie, do *any* modifier keys (other than the one for Caps Lock) work? Is the correct keyboard selected in the drop-down menu? On my Mac, the mouse is one of the options there.

I have the same setup as you and it works for me too.

@fooferdoggie, do *any* modifier keys (other than the one for Caps Lock) work? Is the correct keyboard selected in the drop-down menu? On my Mac, the mouse is one of the options there.
I never tried any others. but I will check it out when I get home. it should be the right one its the only keyboard I have connected its the keyboard that came with it. I mean it is blue like the iMac :D

Another thing to try is connecting the keyboard directly via a USB cable vs. wireless, though that should not make a difference. Also IIRC, this is a refurb from Apple. Depending on how close you are to the nearest Apple Store, you could try bringing the iMac and keyboard there. They should be able to troubleshoot much more quickly than we can here online.​

Back