setting up my new iMac something still are wonky

Another thing to try is connecting the keyboard directly via a USB cable vs. wireless, though that should not make a difference. Also IIRC, this is a refurb from Apple. Depending on how close you are to the nearest Apple Store, you could try bringing the iMac and keyboard there. They should be able to troubleshoot much more quickly than we can here online.​
it's not that big of a deal. it's been going on for years. maybe if I set it up as new it would not have done it? I should pop the key off and disable it the real way. It would not be an issue if my fingers did what I told them to do. But at least I can transform the text into lower case so it's not bad to fix. No worse than any of my other typing issues really.

it's not that big of a deal. it's been going on for years. maybe if I set it up as new it would not have done it? I should pop the key off and disable it the real way. It would not be an issue if my fingers did what I told them to do. But at least I can transform the text into lower case so it's not bad to fix. No worse than any of my other typing issues really.
It should be possible to do exactly what you want using the method @Citysnaps and I mentioned, but it's up to you to decide whether to pursue it further.

TBH, there are times I think about disabling my Caps Lock key too. I often hit it inadvertently because I'm foolish enough to think my touch typing skills haven't deteriorated, LOL. I suspect I do this more often than I intentionally hit Caps Lock.

TBH, there are times I think about disabling my Caps Lock key too. I often hit it inadvertently because I'm foolish enough to think my touch typing skills haven't deteriorated, LOL. I suspect I do this more often than I intentionally hit Caps Lock.
I always reconfigure my Caps Lock as a second Control key. I never need or want capslock in the first place, and I VNC in to Linux systems frequently. It's very useful to have a home-row Control key when piloting Linux.

I've been doing this so long that I always get screwed up when I try to use a Mac that hasn't had caps lock configured as control.

@fooferdoggie This macOS feature should've been working all along, it's been around forever and it's always worked for me. So I wonder if you've got a broken config file, or something along those lines. Seconding what @Cmaier suggested - create a second brand new user account, log in to it, and see if caps lock remapping works there. If it does, you know you've got a problem with your migrated user account.

Just out of interest, do you use a joystick for flying games like XPlane? Or is it just instead of a gamepad?

I use a yoke, throttles, and pedals with X-Plane. No problem with a Mac. Ditto with a stick I used in the past.

I always reconfigure my Caps Lock as a second Control key. I never need or want capslock in the first place, and I VNC in to Linux systems frequently. It's very useful to have a home-row Control key when piloting Linux.

I've been doing this so long that I always get screwed up when I try to use a Mac that hasn't had caps lock configured as control.

@fooferdoggie This macOS feature should've been working all along, it's been around forever and it's always worked for me. So I wonder if you've got a broken config file, or something along those lines. Seconding what @Cmaier suggested - create a second brand new user account, log in to it, and see if caps lock remapping works there. If it does, you know you've got a problem with your migrated user account.
ya good idea when I have a chance. That's what I am thinking.

Ok cool. I was reading around and it seems like on XPlane at least, any joystick that works on Windows, should work on macOS.
The joystick works as a joystick. I just don’t get the OS settings that you would get for a game pad (I don’t even see that option in my settings app I guess because I don’t have a game pad?) and some older games especially don’t have internal controls to remap joystick controls or they are very limited. I used to use Controllermate (which worked for other devices too) but that’s long gone. There is a spiritual successor app that someone has made but I haven’t tried yet.

I use a yoke, throttles, and pedals with X-Plane. No problem with a Mac. Ditto with a stick I used in the past.

I didn’t mean to suggest my joystick didn’t work at all I just don’t get access to the Gane Controller setting @Jimmyjames was talking about

The joystick works as a joystick. I just don’t get the OS settings that you would get for a game pad (I don’t even see that option in my settings app I guess because I don’t have a game pad?) and some older games especially don’t have internal controls to remap joystick controls or they are very limited. I used to use Controllermate (which worked for other devices too) but that’s long gone. There is a spiritual successor app that someone has made but I haven’t tried yet.
Understood. I might be tempted to file a feedback and tweet @natbro on Twitter. He’s usually pretty open to suggestions.
I didn’t mean to suggest my joystick didn’t work at all I just don’t get access to the Gane Controller setting @Jimmyjames was talking about

Is there a specific model you’d like?
I use a Logitech extreme 3D. One issue I suspect is that as an old USB joystick it probably uses the old HID framework from IOKit instead of the newer game controller framework that I think Apple developed. If so I don’t know if there’s a fix for that except adding joysticks to game controller framework?

Edit: Game controller framework says it supports mouse and keyboard … but then why don’t I see the Game Controller settings at all? Am I just missing the obvious?

Use Game Controller to support users interacting with your app using a physical or virtual game controller. Game controllers include third-party products, such as the DualShock 4, DualSense, and Xbox, as well as the mouse, keyboard, Siri Remote, and racing wheels.

Last edited:
I use a Logitech extreme 3D. One issue I suspect is that as an old USB joystick it probably uses the old HID framework from IOKit instead of the newer game controller framework that I think Apple developed. If so I don’t know if there’s a fix for that except adding joysticks to game controller framework?

Edit: Game controller framework says it supports mouse and keyboard … but then why don’t I see the Game Controller settings at all? Am I just missing the obvious?

I wonder if the keyboard and mouse part of GC framework relate more to iOS/iPadOS? I’m pretty sure the settings only show up if a gamepad is connected

ok I found the issue it was on USB receiver, and changing it made the caps lock be disabled. but I noticed if I open it again it shows USB receiver.

tempImageRJmQ21.png

then got the mouse buttons working right. poor mouse's battery is about shot and you can't just replace it its built-in. that's unusual for Logitech.

Man, I thought our dumb ball (that's what my wife calls the Apple pod) was dumb but my new iMac is even worse. I had it set up to listen for Hey Siri but way too often it handed that off to the dumbbell that can't hear well and messes up too often. Like if I set a timer it is on the dumb ball and on my imac. but if I hold the mic button down and say stop timer I get there is no timer set even though it's showing on my screen. more often if I use the mic button I get the Siri error that she is having trouble with the connection. so its actually even worse than the dumb ball. its pretty much useless on my imac.

The settings pane only shows with an actual game pad attached. From a developer perspective, when writing code to receive input, the game controller framework supports coalescing keyboards and mice as well as game pads into a singular input flow. Instead of handling keyboard through app kit and game pads through GC.
It’s not pretty code as it’s just my playground for experimenting with game controllers but you can see an example of what I mean in my SpriteKit pong game on GitHub.

I’ll just be sitting here today awaiting the arrival of my pink iMac.
apple had a pic refurbished I was thinking about but I dont need 1tb hard drive anymore. the front color is a bit disappointing its so light its hard to see clearly.

Back