So I guess everybody is getting Covid

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I do understand. But I personally am going to go with natural immunity going forward..
That's all I ask, just wanted to be clear about the vaccine being nullified after one year. But yeah man, for those of us who do get the virus we will have that natural immunity and all parties seem to agree that it's the strongest.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Thanks folks, I will do my best to focus on taking care of the old lady. Between the moments of pure fatigue of this damn disease give you.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
I didn't think you were trolling but we do know exactly why, after 1 year it's as if you never had any of the shots or boosters at all.

Now, the reason for not getting one for that entire year is because they didn't have the latest variants covered, which was only just released and is why everyone is now jumping to get it.

Hope that all make sense.
I just want to be the one to break the fact that all of us "jabbed" will die on Wednesday when they run the PSA....... Please, everyone, turn off all devices on Wednesday....

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Lost my sense of smell today, really bizarre feeling but seemingly innocuous compared to everything else. I can taste to an extent but can't really break down flavors.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Lost my sense of smell today, really bizarre feeling but seemingly innocuous compared to everything else. I can taste to an extent but can't really break down flavors.
oh, wow. I was spared that one.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
So yesterday I thought I turned a corner, started to do chores that had backed up. (Dishes, Laundry, etc). Then last night I started to develop a new cough. Now it’s getting pretty serious again, and I am down on the day I was suppose to return to work. Hopefully I just overextended myself.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Lost my sense of smell today, really bizarre feeling but seemingly innocuous compared to everything else.
When this happened to me, my Cardiologist sent me an article about retraining your olfactory nerve. Since Covid was still new and not much was known (this was early Jan. 2021), he wasn't sure it would help or not. I decided I had nothing to lose so gave it a go. I'd smell inside my Listerine bottle, coffee beans and even my dog's normally very fishy smelling Cod skin treats. Oddly enough, it began to work. It was faint at first and my sense of smell would come and go but I stuck with it. I regained my full smell in about two weeks. I'm not saying this will work for everyone or as quickly. But at the very least, it is worth a try.

I no longer have that article but did find this article on the Mayo Clinic's site for anyone interested.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I do understand. But I personally am going to go with natural immunity going forward.. I know that is not the choice for everyone, but it is for me. There is a lot of heart disease in my family tree (M grandfather, P grandmother, father, mother) and while it is low, there IS an increased risk of myocarditis. So I have to balance that against COVID.

The two confirmed times I have had it, it has been very mild. Maybe the first time was because of a combination of the original vaccine (about 9 months out) and the possibility I had it before I was ever tested. The second time was very, very mild to the point had I not tested, I would have assumed a cold or allergies.

Don't go there. You are making the assumption that YOU gave it to HER. Could have just as easily been the reverse but yours manifested earlier.
Some considerations regarding natural immunity that you may want to take into account:

Natural immunity, defined as having resulted from a Covid infection, has been shown to be more effective and longer lasting than the immunity provided by vaccination. This is probably due to several factors, including that infection induces humoral (antibodies) and cellular (B and T cells) immunity against more than just the virus's spike.

However, you have to be infected to acquire natural immunity. Because it eventually wanes, maintaining it requires re-infection, which carries its own risks, including cardiovascular. And, as I pointed out previously, there is now evidence the virus replicates in coronary arteries and makes existing atherosclerosis more dangerous. It's possible that very mild infections don't pose such problems, but that's not known yet.

There is also increasing evidence that so-called hybrid immunity, acquired from a combination of infection and vaccination, provides the best protection of all. As well, it is well-accepted that the risks of infection outweigh the risks of vaccination.

For a variety of reasons, the one-size-fits-all approach probably will no longer work for the entire population. Determining the best course of action will require assessment of multiple factors such as demographics, underlying conditions, vaccination and infection history, to name just a few. I suspect we'll hear much more about this, including the use of AI to determine the best strategy on an individual basis, over the next year or two.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Some considerations regarding natural immunity that you may want to take into account:

Natural immunity, defined as having resulted from a Covid infection, has been shown to be more effective and longer lasting than the immunity provided by vaccination. This is probably due to several factors, including that infection induces humoral (antibodies) and cellular (B and T cells) immunity against more than just the virus's spike.

However, you have to be infected to acquire natural immunity. Because it eventually wanes, maintaining it requires re-infection, which carries its own risks, including cardiovascular. And, as I pointed out previously, there is now evidence the virus replicates in coronary arteries and makes existing atherosclerosis more dangerous. It's possible that very mild infections don't pose such problems, but that's not known yet.

There is also increasing evidence that so-called hybrid immunity, acquired from a combination of infection and vaccination, provides the best protection of all. As well, it is well-accepted that the risks of infection outweigh the risks of vaccination.

For a variety of reasons, the one-size-fits-all approach probably will no longer work for the entire population. Determining the best course of action will require assessment of multiple factors such as demographics, underlying conditions, vaccination and infection history, to name just a few. I suspect we'll hear much more about this, including the use of AI to determine the best strategy on an individual basis, over the next year or two.
Thank you for this. One of the biggest concerns I’ve heard them point out over and over is that they are never certain about “how much” natural immunity you may get.

It may be a great deal, or it may be not much at all. With the vaccine at least it’s a predictable and guaranteed amount.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this. One of the biggest concerns I’ve heard them point out over and over is that they are never certain about “how much” natural immunity you may get.

It may be a great deal, or it may be not much at all. With the vaccine at least it’s a predictable and guaranteed amount.
I don’t think that’s quite true. I believe it’s more accurate to say that the amount of antigen you’re presented with is much more consistent with vaccines than infection. But the immune response varies, so much effort is put into determining the best dose for intended populations.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I don’t think that’s quite true. I believe it’s more accurate to say that the amount of antigen you’re presented with is much more consistent with vaccines than infection. But the immune response varies, so much effort is put into determining the best dose for intended populations.
That's exactly what I thought I was saying.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what I thought I was saying.
Not to belabor the point, but you were referring to the amount of immunity you get with either method, and went on to say that this is more predictable with vaccines. My point was that the degree of immunity conferred by vaccines is not highly predictable, but the amount of antigen - which induces the immune response - is. It may be a bit of a subtle distinction, but it’s an important one.

BTW, iOS’s predictive typing on this post was remarkable. It anticipated my next words quite well. I’m seeing that across the board. Or maybe it’s that I’m just too predictable, LOL.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Was able to smell a skunk outside this morning, still can't smell much else but hoping it's a sign that it may be coming back. Also still testing positive even though symptoms are pretty much gone otherwise. For Omicron being the more mild of them all it sure didn't pull any punches with me (if indeed that's the variant I have).

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Last night was by far the worst night. Nausea, blinding headache with a slight fever that Advil or Tylenol didn’t even take the edge off. Coughing so bad that my chest hurt when I breathed, kept thinking it was pneumonia. Eventually passed out around 2 AM when pure exhaustion took over.

I woke up feeling much better, and I am hoping that was the peak of the illness.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Last night was by far the worst night. Nausea, blinding headache with a slight fever that Advil or Tylenol didn’t even take the edge off. Coughing so bad that my chest hurt when I breathed, kept thinking it was pneumonia. Eventually passed out around 2 AM when pure exhaustion took over.

I woke up feeling much better, and I am hoping that was the peak of the illness.
Sorry to hear that, hoping that things turn a corner for you.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Was able to smell a skunk outside this morning, still can't smell much else but hoping it's a sign that it may be coming back. Also still testing positive even though symptoms are pretty much gone otherwise. For Omicron being the more mild of them all it sure didn't pull any punches with me (if indeed that's the variant I have).
Glad to hear you're improving.

It'd be a shame if skunk was the only thing you could smell from now on, but I doubt that will happen. :)

Top Bottom
1 2