So I guess everybody is getting Covid

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I haven't gotten it yet, that I'm aware of, but it feels like the walls are closing in. Nobody in close proximity has gotten it recently but it feels almost like a daily occurrence of long distance friends and relatives, and well, covid responsible youtube personalities I follow going "I got covid". Nobody is dying and there are varying degrees of suckage being shared, but it's really starting to feel like its completely unavoidable.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
my kids have both had it (teenagers) but so far my husband and i have still avoided it.

my 80+ year old parents also had it earlier this year.

all of us are vaccinated three times.

Apple fanboy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Had 3-4 people go down with it in the office these last couple of weeks.
I’ve still not had it. But as Mrs AFB can’t be vaccinated it is a constant worry.
I have a four day photography trade show in September. I’ve told my boss I’ll be stopping in a hotel for the week. When I return home I will quarantine myself until I have done a couple of negative tests.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Wife and I had it back in January. Not too bad. Mainly a sore throat and occasional coughing fit. Lasted about 4 days.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I was exposed and tested positive as I mentioned in another post but had really mild symptoms that could've just as easily been allergies or something. It could have been a false positive because all other tests were negative.

I'm supposed to go to the dentist for a procedure next week and I'm thinking about cancelling and waiting for this surge to calm down as I hate the thought of being unmasked with my mouth open for that entire time.

dukebound85

Power User
Reaction score
my family and I got it 2 weeks ago despite being vaccinated and boosted.

Swear it was from a mtg where someone who was causing but was quick to say it isn't covid

It definitely wasn't fun going through

mac_in_tosh

Site Champ
Reaction score
...but it's really starting to feel like its completely unavoidable.
Yes, because people are acting like it's over when it isn't. There are sports events, even indoors, with unmasked people closely packed together. In stores, about 90% of the people there are not masked. If everyone wore masks and acted responsibly covid could be significantly reduced in relatively short order. But of course wearing a mask has become a major element in today's culture wars thanks to Trump, who got covid himself.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Yes, because people are acting like it's over when it isn't. There are sports events, even indoors, with unmasked people closely packed together. In stores, about 90% of the people there are not masked. If everyone wore masks and acted responsibly covid could be significantly reduced in relatively short order. But of course wearing a mask has become a major element in today's culture wars thanks to Trump, who got covid himself.

I wore a mask everywhere for a long time...I'd say 18 months or so?? Even after I was vaccinated fully. But everyone I know who has gotten Covid within the past 6-8 months had no more than normal cold symptoms. I don't wear a mask anymore because the new variants just seem so mild that it doesn't seem to matter if you get it. And then having natural immunity coupled with vaccine immunity seems like a better deal anyway....

I'm not antimask in anyway, but after two years of this it just seems like it's starting to become endemic rather than a pandemic, and we do have to move on.

I still wear one in healthcare locations, and I appreciate that some people are higher risk and need to wear a mask when they are out. I generally still avoid large crowds. But the whole point of masking and social distancing was to prevent serious illness and overwhelming hospitals. I think we are pretty much over that part by now? Or maybe I'm just naive about that....

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
because it changes so much and so fast?
In your opinion, should we continue to wear masks indefinitely? (Not looking for an argument...) Colds and flu mutate every year also, which is why the flu vaccine is redesigned every year.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
In your opinion, should we continue to wear masks indefinitely? (Not looking for an argument...) Colds and flu mutate every year also, which is why the flu vaccine is redesigned every year.
I doubt you could get anyone to do that anymore. I don't really see a solution but hope it does not get worse. it has become more infectious though .

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
If it's not causing increased deaths or hospitalizations and for many the symptoms aren't worse than a cold or a flu, then why shouldn't we simply learn to live with it?
It's just a matter of time, when cases go up so do hospitalizations and deaths. Many places are now on the verge of going back to mask mandates, I'm guessing by next week we'll hear much more about them.

New hospital admissions of patients with COVID-19 are on the rise in the U.S., topping 31,000 over a seven-day average ending July 11, CDC data shows.

Why it matters: We don't know how many cases are individuals admitted for COVID versus those hospitalized for other conditions who happen to have COVID. But with many COVID cases being detected through home testing, experts have increasingly pointed to hospitalizations as an important metric for understanding what's happening at a community level, Insider reports.

By the numbers: Hospitalizations from the BA.5 subvariant of Omicron circulating in the U.S. are about 78% lower than their peaks in January, and deaths remain relatively low. But hospitalizations are on the rise, up 11% over a seven-day period.

• The CDC is forecasting the number of new daily confirmed COVID-19 hospital admissions will increase, with 3,200 to 13,800 likely to be reported on Aug. 5.
  • Hospitalizations were up the most in HHS region 6, which includes Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico and Oklahoma (21.5%), followed by region 7 (15.3%) which includes Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska.

D

Deleted member 215

Alameda County re-instated their mask mandate when cases rose in the spring and it had no effect whatsoever on their numbers. Cases there began to decline and at the same rate as surrounding counties without mandates.

I'm not saying mask-wearing is "oppression" and obviously we're a far cry from China's pointless and destructive "zero COVID" policy, but I do think we're sort of avoiding the reality that this is never going away, that it is in effect the "new flu" and it should be treated as such (i.e. no masks, no lockdowns, new vaccines on a regular basis).

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Alameda County re-instated their mask mandate when cases rose in the spring and it had no effect whatsoever on their numbers. Cases there began to decline and at the same rate as surrounding counties without mandates.

I'm not saying mask-wearing is "oppression" and obviously we're a far cry from China's pointless and destructive "zero COVID" policy, but I do think we're sort of avoiding the reality that this is never going away, that it is in effect the "new flu" and it should be treated as such (i.e. no masks, no lockdowns, new vaccines on a regular basis).
Do you have a credible source for that? We know that it doesn't fully prevent it but it does help, the more that wear them, the more it prevents the spread.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Folks, it's one thing to voice an opinion but any claims that are stated as fact will need a credible source to back it up, or we'll label it as false. We will not go down that road on this site.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not, TBL, but I found this.

Of course the problem with this is that it only shows you that mask mandates have little effect in a region where most people wear masks when in indoor crowds, or avoid such crowds, anyway. I was in neighboring Santa Clara county yesterday. Everyone in elevators was wearing masks. Everyone was eating outdoors at sidewalk tables.

Even though people wear masks less than they used to in Silicon Valley, there are still a LOT of masked-up people around. The number of people who would wear a mask because of a mandate but otherwise wouldn’t doesn’t seem likely to be very large, and most of them probably live in Los Altos Hills.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Of course the problem with this is that it only shows you that mask mandates have little effect in a region where most people wear masks when in indoor crowds, or avoid such crowds, anyway. I was in neighboring Santa Clara county yesterday. Everyone in elevators was wearing masks. Everyone was eating outdoors at sidewalk tables.

Even though people wear masks less than they used to in Silicon Valley, there are still a LOT of masked-up people around. The number of people who would wear a mask because of a mandate but otherwise wouldn’t doesn’t seem likely to be very large, and most of them probably live in Los Altos Hills.

Right, and the article makes this note:
Alameda County’s mandate was implemented not long after the New York Times published an article titled "Why Masks Work, but Mandates Haven't.” The piece states that high-quality, well-fitting masks can help minimize an individual’s risk of catching or spreading COVID-19, but community-level mandates have failed to affect case rates because the virus is so contagious that it spreads easily in the moments when people take their masks off to eat, drink or be comfortable.

My brother after he got infected, "we wore our masks to the bar and it didn't make any difference" when I asked how he drank his beers he said they all had take them off for that.

Top Bottom
1 2