Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Updates:
  • 12Jan24- Added Andor Series
  • 3Feb22- Added The Mandalorian
  • Sep 2016: Rogue One added.

Dec 2016: Disney the new Dark Master of the Empire, Decrees that the Star Wars Expanded Universe is DEAD! Apple fanboy gets credit. Does that mean that nothing will be weaned from the expanded universe? No clue.

Is there a decent starting point for reading?
I may just read the Phantom Menace Book and see if it sits with me better than the movie did. Looking at these links and the huge amount of content devoted to the expanded Star Wars Universe, I have to wonder how much did Episode 7 crap all over existing canon?

Possible Starting Points for reading. Partially based on the Blastr and tor.com recommendations (comments from associated links). Reference BBY = Before the Battle of Yavin (Return of the Jedi), ABY= After the Battle of Yavin:
  • Episode I: The Phantom Menace (32 BBY)- A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, an evil legacy long believed dead is stirring. Now the dark side of the Force threatens to overwhelm the light, and only an ancient Jedi prophecy stands between hope and doom for the entire galaxy.
  • The Approaching Storm (22-22.5 BBY)- In the beginning of Attack of the Clones, the Jedi mention that Obi-Wan Kenobi has returned from a border dispute on the planet Ansion. This book shows us what happened during that mission.
  • Episode II: Attack of the Clones (22 BBY)- There is a great disturbance in the Force…. From the sleek ships of the glimmering Coruscant skyscape to the lush gardens of pastoral Naboo, dissent is roiling. The Republic is failing, even under the leadership of Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, elected ten years earlier to save the crumbling government. Separatists threaten war, and the Senate is hopelessly divided, unable to determine whether to raise an army for battle or keep the fragile peace. It is a stalemate that, once broken, could lead to galactic chaos.
  • Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (19 BBY)- Rise of the new Sith Lord: Darth Vader.
  • Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader (18-11 BBY)- Set close after Revenge of the Sith, this novel follows Darth Vader as he came into his own in his new role as a deadly Sith Lord. It’s a different Darth Vader readers than the ruthless one we’re used to in the movies.
  • The Hans Solo Trilogy (10-0 BBY)- Pick up the Han Solo Trilogy by A. C. Crispin. If you ever wanted to know what childhood was like for the infamous smuggler, or what made him so inclined to hang out with Wookiees, this is where you need to be. It makes sense of the man in a way that no one else has ever attempted, and Crispin’s meticulous backstory shows us how Han’s destiny was always bound to drag him toward a rebellion and one princess all along. Also, take a look at the new Timothy Zahn book Scoundrels, set between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back. (www.tor.com comments)
  • Andor (Seasons 1 & 2)- Season 1 is supurb. Season 2 expected in 2024.
  • Rogue One (-5 to -1 ABY) Movie release Dec 2016. The Rebellion makes a risky move to steal the Death Star plans. Will they succeed?? :p My understanding is the time frame on this story based on this link is approximately -1 to -5 ABY I've updated the first point to reflect this. Please correct me if necessary and I'll change it. :)
  • Episode IV: A New Hope (0 ABY)
  • Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (3 ABY)
  • Shadows of the Empire (3.5 ABY)- For People Who Want to Know What Happens Between Films.
  • Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (4ABY)
  • Truce of Bakura (4 ABY)- The Truce at Bakura is set right after Return of the Jedi and sees the Rebel Alliance answer a distress call from an Imperial world, Bakura.
  • Bounty Hunter Wars (4 ABY)- Bobba Fett.
  • X-Wing Series (6.7-7.5 ABY)- Rogue and Wraith Squadron Books.
  • Tatooine Ghost (8 ABY)- Tatooine Ghost takes place closer to Return of the Jedi than the Black Fleet Crisis books and sees Leia traveling to Tatooine to obtain a painting embedded with an essential Rebel code up for auction. Of course the Imperials are there to get the painting, too.
  • Courtship of Princess Leia (8 ABY)- This book is the RomCom of Star Wars books as it follows the romance between Princess Leia and Han Solo, ultimately leading to their marriage.
  • The Mandalorian (9 ABY)- Feb 2022 I’m catching up on this series. The Mandalorian decides to violate a contract. (Link)
  • The Thrawn Trilogy (9 ABY)- The engrossing story saw Thrawn leading remnants of the Empire against the New Republic as his ally, Dark Jedi clone Joruus C'baoth, goes after Luke and Leia, who is pregnant with the twins. The trilogy keeps the spirit of the original three films while successfully expanding Star Wars lore and left fans wanting more Star Wars stories.
  • Jedi Academy (11 ABY)- These books chronicle the efforts of Luke Skywalker to rebuild the Jedi Order after the events of Return of the Jedi.
  • The Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy (16-17 ABY)- These three books take place about 16 years after A New Hope, during the New Republic era of the Expanded Universe.
  • The Corellian Trilogy (18 ABY)- Han Solo returns to his home planet in this New Republic era book trilogy that sees the Corellian Sector in turmoil.
  • The New Jedi Order (22ABY)- This massive 19 book series is often a controversial one among fans, but its epic story and compelling character development earn it the number two spot on my list. The series introduces a new threat to the entire galaxy: the Yuuzhan Vong..
  • Episode VII The Force Awakens: (34 ABY?)
  • The Dark Nest Trilogy (35-36 ABY)
  • Crucible (45 ABY)

Last edited:

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Don't forget The Book of Boba Fett. Streaming now. I think S1E5 releases tonight.

I think they have gone down the MCU hole with this one as there is quite a bit of overlap with it and The Mandolorian.

Should have just made one combined series and called it Tattooine.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Don't forget The Book of Boba Fett. Streaming now. I think S1E5 releases tonight.

I think they have gone down the MCU hole with this one as there is quite a bit of overlap with it and The Mandolorian.

Should have just made one combined series and called it Tattooine.
I’ll get it, thanks!

The Mandalorian- I’m almost finished with season 1, and while I like the atmosphere, IMO, 30 min vignettes don’t do the story justice, making it feel shallow and frankly forgettable. I mean yeah, he’s hauling around a little Yoda, but so far besides one significant contribution, it’s just a cute prop.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Rewatched this series…sublime. The kind of story, acting, and writing that the Star Wars Universe is dying without.

IMG_3092.jpeg

I’ve got 5 Star Wars titles certified as worthy, cronological order (not demanding agreement):
  • Andor Season 1 & 2 (season 2 anticipated)
  • Rogue One (unofficial Episode 3.5)
  • Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope
  • Star Wars Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back
  • Star Wars Episode 6: Return of the Jedi
Andor Season 2 expected to drop later this year.

Top Bottom
1 2