Subscription iPhones?

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I guess it depends on how often you upgrade, the residual value, the "time cost" for selling in the open market vs. trading in with Apple. I sort of understand the idea that you're always "paying" for a phone, some mix of actual cost + depreciation.

If I could just get on a $50/month plan and have a new iPhone every year? I'd do it, especially if they rolled in some AC :)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I guess it depends on how often you upgrade, the residual value, the "time cost" for selling in the open market vs. trading in with Apple. I sort of understand the idea that you're always "paying" for a phone, some mix of actual cost + depreciation.

If I could just get on a $50/month plan and have a new iPhone every year? I'd do it, especially if they rolled in some AC :)
Right, with the upgrade program it already feels like we're on a subscription but I like the fact that I don't have to if I don't want to. The annual updates are incremental and underwhelming at best, I'm still running an 11 and waiting for a real reason to upgrade so I don't want to be pinned into it that way.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Right, with the upgrade program it already feels like we're on a subscription but I like the fact that I don't have to if I don't want to. The annual updates are incremental and underwhelming at best, I'm still running an 11 and waiting for a real reason to upgrade so I don't want to be pinned into it that way.

Yeah, I wonder what my actual cost has been over some extended period - like my X worked so well, I kept it through 3 update cycles (so basically 2 years for "free").

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Subscribe instead of just buying a phone roughly every three or four years? No thanks.

I'll go back to a cellphone that's free with a month to month prepaid setup. Something that handles phone calls, vmail, texts and stores a contact list. I already resent paying for a smartphone that has way more camera capability than I'll ever use.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't really understand this. There is already the iPhone Upgrade Program. I'm guessing maybe this could be more flexible like possibly allowing for shorter lengths. Like you could actually subscribe to an iPhone for 6 months or month to month or something?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

You can already do this with the iPhone upgrade program.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I don't really understand this. There is already the iPhone Upgrade Program. I'm guessing maybe this could be more flexible like possibly allowing for shorter lengths. Like you could actually subscribe to an iPhone for 6 months or month to month or something?

You can already do this with the iPhone upgrade program.

Yeah, clearly you're right and there's got to be some details to this that make a difference vs. the existing iPhone Upgrade Program. Maybe it's a shorter interval (which seems excessive), maybe it includes AC+ for a lower price vs. the payment + AC + exchange/trade-in value.

Unless they're dropped the Upgrade Program, so it's buy outright or "lease".

BMW, a few others (maybe Volvo?) has been on deck with something like this as well, like a flat-rate, you can swap cars in a fairly short term, and you have some variant in models without having to worry about the exact price.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Yeah, I wonder what my actual cost has been over some extended period - like my X worked so well, I kept it through 3 update cycles (so basically 2 years for "free").

I would probably still have my X had the battery not gone to :poop:.

That could cause me to switch phone brands.

If I could move all my texts and photos (I know you can do this but it is a PITA) over easily I would jump back to Android in a second.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

I’m also on an 11 and it’s the first time I haven’t upgraded every other year since the first iPhone. I really don’t want the expense, but I feel like I could really use the camera upgrade, especially for macro pictures. Still, I think I’ll hold out for the next iphone at this point.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I’m also on an 11 and it’s the first time I haven’t upgraded every other year since the first iPhone. I really don’t want the expense, but I feel like I could really use the camera upgrade, especially for macro pictures. Still, I think I’ll hold out for the next iphone at this point.
Yeah, I get it if you have an interest in a new feature and it seems like the camera updates are always the biggest changes. If they brought back TouchID on the Max models (somehow) I would jump on it.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Yeah, I get it if you have an interest in a new feature and it seems like the camera updates are always the biggest changes. If they brought back TouchID on the Max models (somehow) I would jump on it.
I went from every year up until the 11 Pro, then skipped the 12. I’ll likely skip the 14. I actually don’t use my phone for much other than short bursts of communication and content consumption. Now and again I’ll use the camera. Even massive iphone improvements don’t have much effect on my experience using the device.

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I'm still using a 3.5 year old 8+. Although I like the idea of a new phone, there's not actually anything wrong with mine, although I might need a battery replacement soon.

I am not the target market for this.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
What we've done a number of times in the past was to have our two phone, one on the tick and one on the tock cycles, so like I'd have a 6, wife had a 6S, I'd get a 7, she'd get an 8, so there was always one most recent phone in the family (some of this was necessitated by iPhone dev work ...) Now we have a 3rd person with an iPhone :D So we can do a 3 year, revolving upgrade cycle. :)

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
I would probably still have my X had the battery not gone to :poop:.

If I could move all my texts and photos (I know you can do this but it is a PITA) over easily I would jump back to Android in a second.

You can move your photos easily with Google Photos. You can just sync them. Not sure about the text messages. Do you really have text messages that are that important?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
You can move your photos easily with Google Photos. You can just sync them. Not sure about the text messages. Do you really have text messages that are that important?

I have every text message I have ever gotten on my phone except for the 6-8 months I had an Android. I do go back through them looking for something on occasion.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Now that I don't have social media, outside of Twitter, that I only use for sports information I'm really not on my phone as often as I used to be. I have the 13 Pro Max and I don't plan to upgrade in the fall. I used to be one of those that upgraded every year, but I'm tired of giving Apple my money for Basic Betty upgrades each year. Nothing has that wow factor anymore when it comes to phones. My phone has been paid off so I will not be doing a subscription service. I could easily use this phone for several years.

Top Bottom
1 2