Mental Health Suicide Awareness

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Update: Yesterday was a complete mess, but it went from bad, to meh, to worse.

Backstory this all seems to have transpired in the last 4 - 5 days. My son was advised to stop taking his new anti-depressions that he had been on for a few weeks due to new symptom of tachycardia. Since the medication was "new" the Dr. offered to write a low dose only if he was having a hard time, but the overall suggestion was to cold turkey it. Something I know you never do with anti-ds.

He had his first attempt Monday night and because he didn't leave any notes, and the only evidence was some "allusion" to making the pain go away to his SO. They didn't have any direct evidence of any suicide ideation. To make matters worse the hospital the Ambulance took him to didn't have any psychiatry department on staff until 3 PM. I arrived at 10 AM and he was sleeping, and I wrote the above post while watching him sleep. I got the bright idea to call my crisis people at work to find an outpatient service, because he was refusing inpatient.

In the 15 minutes that I was making the call. He got up disconnected his heart monitor, IV, and took my jacket. Then proceeded to walk out of the ER. When I came back, my heart sunk especially when I found his hospital wrist badge. I turned to the four nurses sitting at the desk literally across from the room and asked where my son was? They asked me if he was going to the bathroom, and when I held up the wrist band and said my jacket was missing, I also ask "How can you let a potential suicide patient walk out the door?"

I jumped in my car and found him two blocks away walking barefoot. Pleaded with him to get in the car, and told him the hospital had called the police. He got very belligerent and ran away. Eventually the cops did find him, and I again hoped and prayed it wouldn't escalate into something that I would have to witness. Thank god he had some common sense and surrendered to them, and they took him to the "better" hospital in town.

He refused sevice there, and I notified the nurse he had a IV line still in his arm. Thank god they were professionals and told him that they couldn't legally let him leave with that in. I told him let them take it out and go home, if you don't want to be treated at this hospital, with your partner. He again had enough common sense to let them do that and not escalate it further.

He went to my Ex's about a hour later and stated that he "Was sorry he was putting us through this". She told me his manner was a lot calmer.

I should have known... Not more than an hour later he tried again, and now is in the ICU, but stable. I AM DEVASTATED

I didn't mean to bring this forum down, but I need to record this story somewhere.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Backstory this all seems to have transpired in the last 4 - 5 days. My son was advised to stop taking his new anti-depressions that he had been on for a few weeks due to new symptom of tachycardia. Since the medication was "new" the Dr. offered to write a low dose only if he was having a hard time, but the overall suggestion was to cold turkey it. Something I know you never do with anti-ds.

He had his first attempt Monday night and because he didn't leave any notes, and the only evidence was some "allusion" to making the pain go away to his SO. They didn't have any direct evidence of any suicide ideation. To make matters worse the hospital the Ambulance took him to didn't have any psychiatry department on staff until 3 PM. I arrived at 10 AM and he was sleeping, and I wrote the above post while watching him sleep. I got the bright idea to call my crisis people at work to find an outpatient service, because he was refusing inpatient.

In the 15 minutes that I was making the call. He got up disconnected his heart monitor, IV, and took my jacket. Then proceeded to walk out of the ER. When I came back, my heart sunk especially when I found his hospital wrist badge. I turned to the four nurses sitting at the desk literally across from the room and asked where my son was? They asked me if he was going to the bathroom, and when I held up the wrist band and said my jacket was missing, I also ask "How can you let a potential suicide patient walk out the door?"

I jumped in my car and found him two blocks away walking barefoot. Pleaded with him to get in the car, and told him the hospital had called the police. He got very belligerent and ran away. Eventually the cops did find him, and I again hoped and prayed it wouldn't escalate into something that I would have to witness. Thank god he had some common sense and surrendered to them, and they took him to the "better" hospital in town.

He refused sevice there, and I notified the nurse he had a IV line still in his arm. Thank god they were professionals and told him that they couldn't legally let him leave with that in. I told him let them take it out and go home, if you don't want to be treated at this hospital, with your partner. He again had enough common sense to let them do that and not escalate it further.

He went to my Ex's about a hour later and stated that he "Was sorry he was putting us through this". She told me his manner was a lot calmer.

I should have known... Not more than an hour later he tried again, and now is in the ICU, but stable. I AM DEVASTATED

I didn't mean to bring this forum down, but I need to record this story somewhere.
Really sorry to hear this. All I can say is hang in there and feel free to vent as much as you like, you have an ear on this board always willing to listen. Thoughts are with you and your family right now.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It is important for your own mental health to get it out. Too many men (in particular) try to bottle it all up, and never allow themselves an outlet until it boils over. We’re cheap therapy. 😉

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score

I am so sorry to hear you’re going though this. Thank you for sharing. I think you’ll find a lot of people have experienced similar situations with family members.

As someone who works in psych in a well regarded psych hospital, I routinely am frustrated by emergency departments, psych units in general hospitals, and low-quality psych institutions that probably need to be shut down. So often they miss signs or don’t take the measures they should to protect patients. Most of these places just are not equipped to provide adequate care.

If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. I’ll send you a PM. I wish you and your son then best.

Top Bottom
1 2