Survival/Horror Genre

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Chernobylite looks quite good, not the bestest graphics but that never bothered me.

Trailer and info here:

Oh yeah, and this is super cool:

One of Chernobylite's main draws is its map, which contains a 3D-scanned recreation of the actual Exclusion Zone near Pripyat, Ukraine.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
The brand new game - Resident Evil Village - is getting pretty excellent reviews, since we're like 4 games deep in our queue, I guess we'll wait till sometime around 2023 to play it :D

Hahaha, yes, and there's something sort of scary about that old school ring sound ...

I'm so tempted to get this even though I'm not a RE disciple. It is well reviewed and looks like it would appeal to my taste in horror. The biggest issue and the main reason I don't participate much in this sub forum is I already have a large back catalog of games I haven't played for probably more than 4 hours. It's not that the games are bad. It's just that I don't have any gamer drive in me. While gamers will lose track of time just playing games for hours on end, there have been many times I've set a timer for an hour, not to make sure I stop at that point, but to force myself to play for at least that long. It's like I'm an inverse slacker with games, forcing myself to do something unproductive.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh, this sounds interesting, under development by Bokeh Game Studio, who was founded by Keiichi Toyama, the creator of the original Silent Hill, so this also being horror survival, it's got some good DNA :D

Oh wow, and composer Akira Yamaoka (also of Silent Hill fame) joined the dev team as well.

Last edited:

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the horror genre myself but I watched a streamer playing Little Nightmares 2 and it got me interested. I may end up buying it as my first horror game. Really liked the art style and overall atmosphere of the game, seemed very unique.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Wow, yeah, that's beautiful art direction and design.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I got notice this morning that I got into the beta for Into the Radius on my Quest 2. It's been a PCVR game for quite a while, but now they're bringing it to Oculus.

I'm really excited to try it out. When I first got into VR, this was the one game that made me regret not having a PC. I even began to price one out last fall until I saw the price of video cards. Now I'm glad I didn't go down that path!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh wow, I looked at a few playthrough videos, hahahaha, that would be spooky with a VR setup o_O

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Oh wow, I looked at a few playthrough videos, hahahaha, that would be spooky with a VR setup o_O

That's what I'm looking for. Nor horror. But spooky and eerie and creepy.

If we weren't neck deep in a major project at work, I'd probably come down with a terrible headache this afternoon. The kind where I'd just need to take the afternoon off. :LOL:

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I never did circle back on Into the Radius. The beta went well. The game was released I think in September. I'm still playing it almost daily. I've probably got well over 200 hours in it now. So if you have VR, I highly recommend it. Two thumbs up. (y)(y)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I never did circle back on Into the Radius. The beta went well. The game was released I think in September. I'm still playing it almost daily. I've probably got well over 200 hours in it now. So if you have VR, I highly recommend it. Two thumbs up. (y)(y)

Pretty neat! I see your post above from July.

It's funny, I was just talking about hooking up the HTV Vive to this notebook since it will easily drive it, I have a bad base, so only one functional, and it does work with __OK__ with one, but maybe I'll see about picking up a second, give this a shot :D

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Callisto is one of the four Galilean moons of Jupiter, and the furthest from the gas giant. Unlike Io, Europa, and Ganymede, its orbit is so far from its host planet that it has been virtually unchanged since Jupiter formed. Other than the multiple impact craters dotting its landscape, it's like a glimpse into the the infancy of our solar system.

Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 12.38.23 PM.jpg

I'm sure that Galileo would be shocked at the tremendous images and scientific advances that he could have only dreamed of when he first spotted the four Jovian moons in 1610.

Callisto is, by in large, the least studied and probably most boring of Jupiter's four major moons. That doesn't mean that a spotlight can't be shown upon this lonely, unchanging rock.

Say, something between "The Thing" and "Aliens"...

Unfortunately, no Mac version. Anyone interested? Release date is December 2nd. Apparently, it may be banned in Japan.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
It's funny, I was just talking about hooking up the HTV Vive to this notebook since it will easily drive it, I have a bad base, so only one functional, and it does work with __OK__ with one, but maybe I'll see about picking up a second, give this a shot :D

On on the flip side, someone reminded me last week that work will reimburse us up to $500 on a laptop (but not a desktop oddly enough). Unfortunately, I'm still ~6 months out before I can claim that benefit again. But I was looking at VR ready gaming laptops. At this point, I only have access to what's in the Quest store. With the right laptop, I'd have access to the whole PCVR world as well. Probably around the March-April timeframe, I should be ready to dive in.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@MEJHarrison

There's some pretty outstanding notebook deals at the moment - especially if you combined it with your company $500 reimbursement - including Lenovo where I got this current machine. 20-22% discount right up top, then I stacked two other discounts and they had some triple point thing (so have $55 of credit) and I used Rakuten for another $120 (eventually sent as a transfer to PayPal, so for us, that's like cash).

I went Lenovo because it wasn't so "game-y" in terms of design/lighting, the price was excellent, they're a known brand with an OEM channel for an extended warranty option that's apparently very solid (I went 2 years + accidental damage).

I also wasn't big on paying an extra premium on something like a Razor.

Form my original post:

The discount was nuts, it was bigger than the 5i Pro 15.6 or the AMD 16" models for some reason, even though it seems to be one that people want. With all my discounts, stacked a few different things, I wound up saving (or getting cashback), $853.49, plus I scored $55 of reward points so picking up a new printer later.

So that's a 5i Pro Gen 7, 12th gen i7-12700H, RTX 3070i (8GB), 16GB RAM, 2TB storage (2x1TB SSD, tests show 10K-12K throughout), and I added a 2 year premium onsite service and a 2 year full accidental damage coverage, free expidited shipping, so my door for [an effective] $1,896.47

RAM is fully socketed, so I can easily go to 32GB (with even higher performance RAM vs. OEM) for ~$150 at any time.

And I did wind up doing a Kingston 32GB upgrade (which is a faster spec than OEM), but the options for 32GB as built, are a little better now if you wanted 32 OOTB. :)

And as you may have seen from the gaming thread, I've picked up like 70+ games (with a retail of about $2400), for free, and this machine plugged into the main TV, with Sonos audio, and using an XBOX controller is pretty stellar.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
@MEJHarrison

There's some pretty outstanding notebook deals at the moment - especially if you combined it with your company $500 reimbursement - including Lenovo where I got this current machine. 20-22% discount right up top, then I stacked two other discounts and they had some triple point thing (so have $55 of credit) and I used Rakuten for another $120 (eventually sent as a transfer to PayPal, so for us, that's like cash).

I went Lenovo because it wasn't so "game-y" in terms of design/lighting, the price was excellent, they're a known brand with an OEM channel for an extended warranty option that's apparently very solid (I went 2 years + accidental damage).

I also wasn't big on paying an extra premium on something like a Razor.

Form my original post:

And I did wind up doing a Kingston 32GB upgrade (which is a faster spec than OEM), but the options for 32GB as built, are a little better now if you wanted 32 OOTB. :)

And as you may have seen from the gaming thread, I've picked up like 70+ games (with a retail of about $2400), for free, and this machine plugged into the main TV, with Sonos audio, and using an XBOX controller is pretty stellar.

There are some good Black Friday sales. That would combine nicely. However, I get the benefit every 3 years. I got a MacBook Pro in March/April of 2020 (I'd need to check). So if I pick something up now, I lose the $500 credit from work. If I wait, I miss the Black Friday sales. But there will be other sales at other times for the patient shopper. That's not me. When the time comes I'll get what I want and pay the asking price. But the smart shopper would wait for a big sale at that point. Regardless, it won't be till spring that I start looking into it.

I asked Google yesterday what it thought was the best laptop for VR game. It led me to a few articles. I noticed Acer popping up a few times on multiple lists. Regardless, I'll start my research anew when the time comes. I'll keep the Lenovo in mind too. I also saw that one popping up.

As for features, I'm looking for PCVR. That's it. I'm not even overly interested in flat screen gaming. Not to say I wouldn't play flat-screen games, but that's not the goal. The rest of my digital life is on my Mac. So it doesn't need to do anything else particularly well as long as it does PCVR well. I don't need a massive hard drive because it will be a uni-tasker. I don't even care what it looks like because when it's in use, I'll have my eyes covered. :LOL:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh yeah, this was fun!

Machine was excellent (see Mac PC gaming thread), but the game was super neat, it's The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (Redux). It's older like 2014/15, but the game engine is still plenty decent, we were interested because of the generally good reviews, and the design which is very non-linear, and very "game transparent", i.e., there's really only your FOV on the screen, except for the occasional visual cue to check something out, there's no inventory type system, no hit system, it's really an investigation game, and it has a neat sort of "think out loud" as the main player/character mulls over events from the past.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was fairly far advanced in Dead Island Definitive Edition when I got sucked back into Cyberpunk 2077 (the latter not horror). I can remember when this game from years ago was scary, but I’m so acclimated now to the zombie genre, that’s it feels mostly like adventure/management, and it’s in a beautiful location. :)

These don’t seem to be traditional zombies in that they can be killed, by kicking the crap out of them. The character I chose (the girl) is trained in martial arts so I typically save a lot of ammo kicking. :)

6FB21EDE-44A6-47FA-892C-36A7EB2B4E34.jpeg
An observation, comparing Cyberpunk 2077 to Dead Island, there are distinct advances in character interactions, Red Projekt has upped the standard for video games.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I was fairly far advanced in Dead Island Definitive Edition when I got sucked back into Cyberpunk 2077 (the latter not horror). I can remember when this game from years ago was scary, but I’m so acclimated now to the zombie genre, that’s it feels mostly like adventure/management, and it’s in a beautiful location. :)

That looks pretty fun! Hahaha, is that zombie in the back, just chillin' under an umbrella having a pina colada? :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom
1 2