Texas governor to close mail-in ballot drop-off boxes, limiting one per county

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Actually, what they're doing is not legal:

Setting up drop boxes and falsely labeling them “official,” by contrast, is not legal “ballot harvesting.” It’s likely a criminal offense. California law) strictly regulates the creation and use of ballot boxes and bars private citizens from establishing them. Moreover, the statute that allows third parties to collect ballots requires voters to formally “designate” the “person” who will return their ballot to election officials. This person must sign the ballot envelope and provide both their name and relationship to the voter.

Thanks for the clarification. The Democrats will ultimately do nothing because they’ve got no balls or teeth when it really matters. The donkey mascot should be replaced with a speed bump road sign.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
If there was any doubt about the governor & his party's intentions, he's a nice little reminder...

HARRIS COUNTY, Texas — The Republican Party of Texas has filed a lawsuit against Harris County Clerk Chris Hollins that claims drive-thru voting is illegal.

Drive-thru voting became available at 10 locations across Harris County on Tuesday. It's the first time drive-thru voting has been available in Texas.

The drive-thru sites were created to give voters concerned about coronavirus a safe option.

However, the lawsuit said drive-thru voting is an expansion of the Texas Election Code policy meant to help disabled residents participate in elections. It asserts that fear of contracting COVID-19 isn’t a valid excuse or disability, and thus, shouldn’t be allowed.

Right now, many changes being made to accommodate COVID-related obstacles, such as in-mail ballots for everyone, have led to legal turmoil in Texas.

The lawsuit argues curb-side or drive-thru voting should be reserved exclusively for people who can not walk into a polling station.

The group has accused Hollins of overstepping his jurisdiction and attempting to unlawfully rewrite state election laws. They’re criticizing the county clerk’s actions as a “political maneuver…to undermine electoral integrity.”

According to the Harris County Clerk’s Office website, drive-thru voting is more effective way for voters to social distance; secure because it uses the same voting machines and procedures as walk-in voting; and allows 10-30 voters to place their ballots at a time. Also ensuring that the voting process is safe but quick as possible is a major concern in Harris County, which is the most populated county in Texas.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
If there was any doubt about the governor & his party's intentions, he's a nice little reminder...
Everytime I see something like this, I think the Dems should put 20 justices on the Supreme Court, then make DC and PR states, maybe split California into 3 states, and guarantee Dem control for years so we can get a voting rights constitutional amendment passed. Voting should be easy for everybody and any attempt to make it harder should be punished. Texas would still be blocked from doing anything to restrict voting if the SCOTUS didn’t decide to invalidate a law passed unanimously by Congress.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Everytime I see something like this, I think the Dems should put 20 justices on the Supreme Court, then make DC and PR states, maybe split California into 3 states, and guarantee Dem control for years so we can get a voting rights constitutional amendment passed. Voting should be easy for everybody and any attempt to make it harder should be punished. Texas would still be blocked from doing anything to restrict voting if the SCOTUS didn’t decide to invalidate a law passed unanimously by Congress.
I couldn't agree more and am glad to see them skirting the question as they have been, gives me hope they will do it. And any Republican bashing them on this can totally suck it, after the last 4 years they've lost all credibility.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
This section here is truly disturbing to me:

Because Texas’s strong interest in safeguarding the integrity of its elections from voter fraud far outweighs any burden the state’s voting procedures place on the right to vote, we stay the injunction pending appeal.
This is truly offensive when you look at the ACTUAL instances of voter fraud vs the thousands of votes that will be discarded. These judges should never have received the title “judge” if they are this out of touch with reality and hold the right to vote in such incredible disregard.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
This section here is truly disturbing to me:

This is truly offensive when you look at the ACTUAL instances of voter fraud vs the thousands of votes that will be discarded. These judges should never have received the title “judge” if they are this out of touch with reality and hold the right to vote in such incredible disregard.
Precisely why McConnell has been hell bent on appointing as many judges as he could get away with - most of whom have never served as a judge, and the majority of whom were not approved by the ABA!

Top Bottom
1 2